Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance - what are you guys at Wh/mi?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2020 MY always has the 980 rear motor. 2yrs ago added the ghost. It's always been a hog though. Lifetime Teslafi is showing 343 Wh/Mile with 75,500 miles. Mostly highway driving. Keep in mind HWY 10,45 and the beltway in Texas is like Watkins Glen

1689170792812.png

without any banks.

1689170412610.png

Reactions: hyp36rmax
Took my first road trip in my stock MYP. Roughly 250 miles each way, temps ranged from 60-80F during most of the trip.

The trip was on Friday (there) and Saturday (return). I filtered the below analytics to just the drives that I did as part of that road trip.

Friday's average was 313 Wh/mi and I drove closer to 70 mph for a lot of the trip.

Saturday's average was 335 Wh/mi and I drove closer to 75-80 mph for a lot of the trip.

1692646730326.png

1692646746018.png

1692646756353.png

Reactions: yellowr6
With my 2020 MYP on 20" Inductions, I've fortunately been able to manage 253 Wh/mi with 35,000 miles. 80% City driving and 20% Freeway driving helps the numbers too I bet. But I am glad I went with the 20" Inductions instead of the 21" Uberturbines back when Tesla allowed it for the Performance.

Reactions: yellowr6
I know what the deal is, but just wanted to report.... 2023 MYLR
Took off Aero covers cause they are ugly.
Put on 255/50 tires (Goodyear Assurance I think) cause the continentals looked puny
Its Texas, the speed limt is 75mph. I go 80+
Its Texas, its hot, the A/C is on 65 degrees.

350-420 WHPM, and basically 185 miles of range.

Some of ya'll I wonder why you bought a Tesla since apparently you drive like 90 year old women, maybe Buicks would suit you better.

I wish range estimates would calibrate based on WHPM history....

"You have enough battery to continue your trip"

Um, NO, no I do not actually.

(and I swear the supercharging rate slows down when it thinks you have enough to continue your trip cause it wants you to leave and open the spot)

I wish range estimates would calibrate based on WHPM history...
As you noted, the Tesla battery icon display of estimated range when starting out charged, i.e. up to100% state of charge is not affected by your highway speed (it is based on the EPA consumption and estimated range). The Tesla Navigation System, Route Planner and the Tesla Energy Screen do use recent driving history for the Tesla vehicle when estimating arrival time, state of charge along the planned trip route. The Energy Screen updates the estimated arrival time and state of charge as you progress along the route. The Tesla Route Planner may alert the driver to slow down or stop and charge to reach the next waypoint or the destination.

Reactions: Noflash
I know what the deal is, but just wanted to report.... 2023 MYLR
Took off Aero covers cause they are ugly.
Put on 255/50 tires (Goodyear Assurance I think) cause the continentals looked puny
Its Texas, the speed limt is 75mph. I go 80+
Its Texas, its hot, the A/C is on 65 degrees.

350-420 WHPM, and basically 185 miles of range.

Some of ya'll I wonder why you bought a Tesla since apparently you drive like 90 year old women, maybe Buicks would suit you better.

I wish range estimates would calibrate based on WHPM history....

"You have enough battery to continue your trip"

Um, NO, no I do not actually.

(and I swear the supercharging rate slows down when it thinks you have enough to continue your trip cause it wants you to leave and open the spot)

Completely honest here. I agree, nothing wrong with this take. I've yet to drive MYLR towards maximizing range, this car is way to fun to drive at 60-65mph, No AC. (not sacrificing comfort) Terrain, traffic, elevation, and weather are some other factors to consider trying to win that ridiculous range game.

True range benchmark needs a base run to truly compare based on percentage of that.

Fear not, I do want to try a boring drive to see how that goes.

• Lowering the car will help aero channeling dirty air underneath and out of the way to the wheels, considring you're running some form of aero, turbo fans, etc (you'll be fine)
  • Tire pressure is a BIG deal no one is talking about here
  • Front Lips and rear diffusers help also, move with caution, not all are designed with aero in mind.

Some of these numbers do bum me out a bit. I'm sure my next Tesla will be an MYP, but was hoping for better than my 2013 Model S P85+ that got 324 Wh/mi over 48k miles. OK that was after I swapped the 21" PS2s for the Goodyear 19s which I know is huge. I'm guessing if I were to do the same on the MYP, I'd be considerably better.

I have to say the efficiency of my MY LR was very disappointing. One of the reasons I got rid of it. My 3 crushes it in efficiency. My 2022 MS LR (on 19's) was far more efficient and I drove that car faster. My Plaid on 21's was worse than my MY LR w/boost on 19's. My Plaid now on 20's is currently equal to what my MY LR did and trending better as I put more miles on the new tires. I can tell you which I drove more aggressively and at higher speeds.

My MY LR w/boost was at 320 on the stock 19" Conti all seasons. My Plaid on 21" PS4S was 349. On, 20's right now (295/35/20's all around) I am at 319 and getting better. The new 20" PS4S tires and rims started at 329 and have been steadily getting better. I am also running at the low end of the tire pressure with the S for better ride comfort on the crappy streets here which is likely causing efficiency loss whereas the MY I was at the higher end to try and squeeze out the miles that I could.

Here's my update. 3,500 miles total on the car - my "Interim" odometer was something I set once I started figuring things out in the car. Averaging 243 Wh/mi for the last ~3,000 miles. This is based on 65/35 hwy/city driving with top speeds in the 60s to low 70s (slower speed limits out here in the East). I think speed makes a big difference with this car.
2231BE28-3F8B-4D9D-AB78-687CBEB0ABD1_1_105_c.jpeg

Speed really kills the Y's efficiency. It seemed to impact it more than my 3 or S. It still surprises me at how my MS LR was more efficient than my MY LR at almost any speed except maybe 10-20 mph. They were both rolling on 19's.

just got back from a 450 miles (round trip) quick day solo trip to Yosemite. avg 224 wh/mi in my 2022 MYP with Gemini 19" stock tires. My front two tires is getting bald so I took it easy and follow speed limit. Occasionally, 5-10 mph over to past slower cars/semi. Also merging lane. Was 90s degree and sport mode. Low AC setting. Wind wasn't a factor, I guess.

Was looking at my trip meter when I hit 82 kWh used. I did 370 miles. So technically if I can completely drain the battery pack from 100% to 0 and my car was new..... I crush EPA 330 with 19". :)

IMG_0526.jpegIMG_0525.jpeg

Last edited: