Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Range LR Vs Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model Y Long Range vs Performance
If you are coming from a BMW, MB, Audi, Dodge, or any ICE vehicle, the Model Y Long Range will blow your mind.
Don't drive the Performance and you will be thrilled with the LR.
The LR is the smarter, more practical answer.

If you can afford the Model Y Performance, drive them back to back.
If the Performance puts a smile on your face that won't go away, get the Performance.

For us, we would have been happy with the Model 3 AWD if we had just never driven a Performance.
When we added the Model Y, there was no looking back.
I have since driven a Model Y LR for 4 days. It just made me miss the Performance.

There is no logical reason for buying either Performance model.
It's just that three years later, every time I touch the accelerator in either Performance, I can't help but smile.
Thanks. That helps me answer my question this morning. Was second guessing my MYLR order and wondering if I should have gone Performance. Biggest thing was the brakes, and next, the extra acceleration. Which is silly as my test drive in a standard equipped MYLR coming from an older Passat TDI (with a european 5 speed manual swapped in after the slush box died) was impressive. But I was not needing to hop on the brakes much or super hard any way with the regen feature, from what I could tell.

And, I live in snow country, and a little extra clearance would be nice. If I feel like I want to settle down the rear of the car on uneven mountain roads when there is no snow, I may look into some suspension upgrades further. Or maybe adjustable air will be available then if I stay stock a while. Though I did not feel it much, I don’t love what I was hearing about the rear end feeling a little unsettled at higher speeds over rough road. (German Autobahn youtube test drive I watched, and some other things I have heard.). The Passat TDI was built on an Audi A4 platform and is a nice freeway car, so I might want to invest in a nicer, adjustable ride for road trips also. But either way, that looks to be aftermarket for now, so the P doesn’t help me there. And then I would be super committed to getting a second set of wheels for winter also. Might be able to get away with not now. And the extra money for the P would cover suspension work if I go there, which is more important for my use than the rocket ship part.

I have done a lot of instrumented runs using Dragy between several MYPs and my MY LR with AB. Keep in mind my LR is the 7 seater so is heavier. I set Dragy up to do measure a bunch of scenarios including 30-50, 50-70 and 30-70 mph. The times were pretty much identical between my boosted LR and the 3 different MYPs I ran. Basically about 3.1-3.2 seconds 30-70 mph. That is also what Car and Driver got for their MYP as well.

That stat alone was why I didn't bother buying the MYP. Where the performance matters the most to me, the boosted LR is as fast as the MYP. I think the difference was like 7k or 9k when I ordered so no reason at all to go with the MYP. Since the price is closer, and more importantly for me shorter lead times, I'd go with the MYP if I had to do it over again.

That lead time is another good point, but what is done is done in my case.

Thanks. That helps me answer my question this morning. Was second guessing my MYLR order and wondering if I should have gone Performance. Biggest thing was the brakes, and next, the extra acceleration. Which is silly as my test drive in a standard equipped MYLR coming from an older Passat TDI (with a european 5 speed manual swapped in after the slush box died) was impressive. But I was not needing to hop on the brakes much or super hard any way with the regen feature, from what I could tell.
The brakes really only have value on the track. And even then from the videos I've seen they still overheat pretty quickly under heavy use.

They look really cool (so if that is your angle then they are better), but for stopping, you'll rarely use them in day to day.

The brakes really only have value on the track. And even then from the videos I've seen they still overheat pretty quickly under heavy use.

They look really cool (so if that is your angle then they are better), but for stopping, you'll rarely use them in day to day.
That was what was occurring to me. The instinct to think about brakes was related to my old Alfa club track days with my old beater Alfa Romeo with good for that era brakes.

But not really relevant for my use of this very different car, as I am not going to end up tracking with this car, or really any car as I don’t live anywhere near that sort of activity. And of course the difference in how the cars work.

Would the wider tires + brakes on the Perf model stop you faster, shorter distance than the LR? In case of emergency stop like kid runs out in front of you or a deer? Curious.
Yes, Law of Physics. Same vehicle weight with wider tires and larger/better brakes will stop shorter. But also many other variables, condition of tires, reaction time, road condition, weather condition, etc.

However, if look is what you want, I am sure you realize, there are plenty of options to get the look of the performance brakes, without actually getting the performance.

However, if look is what you want, I am sure you realize, there are plenty of options to get the look of the performance brakes, without actually getting the performance.
I don't want to end up looking like the kid driving a Honda with an AMG badge. IMHO, if you didn't get the perf, don't try and make it look like you did. At least paint them yellow, green, orange or black. Don't go with red otherwise you'll look like your trying to "fake" the performance model. You'll also get toasted by a real Performance at the next light. ;)

I don't want to end up looking like the kid driving a Honda with an AMG badge. IMHO, if you didn't get the perf, don't try and make it look like you did. At least paint them yellow, green, orange or black. Don't go with red otherwise you'll look like your trying to "fake" the performance model. You'll also get toasted by a real Performance at the next light. ;)
I guess I can understand where you are coming from, but I would also counter, that some may not want the MYP because they wanted more range, or wanted 7 seats, or didn't want to have to buy two sets of wheels, or wanted more ground clearance or liked the inductions over the Uberturbines (my case, I also wanted more range and like being a bit higher up when driving), but they like their brake calipers a different color.

I think I would more so agree with your statement if they got a red line to put under Dual Motor, and they got the red brakes and put on a spoiler (and then got smoked off the line by a real MYP), but if you have Geminis or the Inductions can you really make it look like you got the MYP (I guess you could get a new set of wheels, but then you have already made up the difference in price)?
I will say, with all of my reasons against buying the MYP ....there is a part of me that wishes I had gone ahead a gotten the performance because I most likely would have had it already.

Reactions: Sunvalleylaw
The Fast and Furious is VERY far from what I am after. Much more a good performing grand touring with adjustment in the suspension for snow country. Wider and less sidewall is generally not my friend (particularly in winter), except for sometimes in summer on certain road trips. But then again, I will hit dirt road for short bits as well. What I am really after is making sure I reduce any excess feeling of unsettledness in the rear on mountain roads that might be off camber or have humps or bumps in them (dry conditions presumed) and Grand Touring/Audi like feel out on I-84 from Idaho through Oregon, then I-82 and I-90 through Eastern Wa and over the pass into Puget Sound. Swift freeway, with the general rough-ish concrete and blacktop and frost heaves/cracks/expansion joints here and there, etc., and mostly long sweepers retaining freeway speeds within range of the speed limit, etc. The sportiest driving will be the uneven blacktop mountain roads that follow rivers and canyons.

Reactions: samori01
I guess I can understand where you are coming from, but I would also counter, that some may not want the MYP because they wanted more range, or wanted 7 seats, or didn't want to have to buy two sets of wheels, or wanted more ground clearance or liked the inductions over the Uberturbines (my case, I also wanted more range and like being a bit higher up when driving), but they like their brake calipers a different color.

I think I would more so agree with your statement if they got a red line to put under Dual Motor, and they got the red brakes and put on a spoiler (and then got smoked off the line by a real MYP), but if you have Geminis or the Inductions can you really make it look like you got the MYP (I guess you could get a new set of wheels, but then you have already made up the difference in price)?
I will say, with all of my reasons against buying the MYP ....there is a part of me that wishes I had gone ahead a gotten the performance because I most likely would have had it already.
All that said, for my use set, the MYLR as potentially modded in the suspension fits best. I don't need big wheels or red brakes. I will likely get a summer set of wheels, but for my use, out in Idaho, that could be my Gemini's and and even smaller set with snow tires for winter.

And I will want to get height in winter to get out of my driveway before it is fully plowed, and over any plow remainder in intersections (I have high centered my wife's old VW Golf, for example, not that I plan on 4-wheeling around much on snow days. Just to the base of the mountain and to the store and such on snow days usually), and then be able drop it down for more fun when it is dry.

EDIT: @samori01 I have a Dodge Ram diesel pickup, that has been a daily driver last couple years, and I aim to park it except for real truck stuff, as the EV trucks coming on line will not do what I need yet. And use this car for all general transportation, road trips, etc. Unless I am going off road to camp, mountain bike, etc. or it is a huge weather day and I need truck level clearance, etc. Or like our recent trip to Southern Utah where we were way off grid with a camper and a bike rack on, away from the SuperCharger network, and putting "Idaho Pin-Striping (also Utah)" on the side of the camper getting back into dispersed camping out on public lands. Or do other truck things like dump runs, yard work, etc. Then in 10 years plus or minus, that truck will get replaced with an EV as things evolve. Just to further explain regarding the suspension and clearance and wheel thoughts WRT the MYLR/MYP. All I really needed to know about was the brakes, and that got answered above.

Last edited:
Reactions: samori01
There is a YouTube vid showing a MYP and LR driving the exact same route together and getting the exact same range. Don’t think the tires make a huge difference and real world range is very similar.

We ordered MYP since cost differential was minimal… and timing to get car was faster. I also do love the uberturbines and slightly lower look with the carbon fiber spoiler.

For us the mileage was negligible. These are the reasons we ordered (and are waiting) for the MYP.

1. That 0-60 is insane and while the butt probably can’t notice much difference we did not want to regret not going for the top dog.
2. once you add “boost” and the CF spoiler the delta was even closer.
3. the delivery time was way faster.
4. the lowered a bit look we thought looked better (subjective)
5. at the time I thought the upgraded brakes would be nice but then we test drove and realized you don’t even use the brakes ;-)
6. The big negative and what made the P more expensive was thinking we were going to need to at minimum change the tires if not just buy a winter (mild here) set. Now with the announcement they come with the All Seasons that cost has gone away. Having said that we are car nuts and will probably upgrade the wheels anyway as the ultra turbines are just meh in my book On the looks side.

End of the day I don’t think you can go wrong with either but we were already in the high 50’s so why not just go to the top. It is our first Tesla and we are a car nut family.

For us the mileage was negligible. These are the reasons we ordered (and are waiting) for the MYP.

1. That 0-60 is insane and while the butt probably can’t notice much difference we did not want to regret not going for the top dog.
2. once you add “boost” and the CF spoiler the delta was even closer.
3. the delivery time was way faster.
4. the lowered a bit look we thought looked better (subjective)
5. at the time I thought the upgraded brakes would be nice but then we test drove and realized you don’t even use the brakes ;-)
6. The big negative and what made the P more expensive was thinking we were going to need to at minimum change the tires if not just buy a winter (mild here) set. Now with the announcement they come with the All Seasons that cost has gone away. Having said that we are car nuts and will probably upgrade the wheels anyway as the ultra turbines are just meh in my book On the looks side.

End of the day I don’t think you can go wrong with either but we were already in the high 50’s so why not just go to the top. It is our first Tesla and we are a car nut family.
I will say, while I really like the Inductions and the higher ride, I would have had a much harder decision with the knowledge of the all-season tires and the range being negligible, especially in September when I was thinking about changing my order for the quicker delivery.

Reactions: goin2drt