Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Range LR Vs Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For us the mileage was negligible. These are the reasons we ordered (and are waiting) for the MYP.

1. That 0-60 is insane and while the butt probably can’t notice much difference we did not want to regret not going for the top dog.
2. once you add “boost” and the CF spoiler the delta was even closer.
3. the delivery time was way faster.
4. the lowered a bit look we thought looked better (subjective)
5. at the time I thought the upgraded brakes would be nice but then we test drove and realized you don’t even use the brakes ;-)
6. The big negative and what made the P more expensive was thinking we were going to need to at minimum change the tires if not just buy a winter (mild here) set. Now with the announcement they come with the All Seasons that cost has gone away. Having said that we are car nuts and will probably upgrade the wheels anyway as the ultra turbines are just meh in my book On the looks side.

End of the day I don’t think you can go wrong with either but we were already in the high 50’s so why not just go to the top. It is our first Tesla and we are a car nut family.
I agree with all these points. It was a different equation when there was a $10k delta between the LR & P, rather than the current $5k delta. If you aren't a fan of the Geminis and plan to upgrade to the inductions on the LR, then the delta is now only $3k. Then if you are considering the boost for the LR, then it brings it $2k closer, where it's basically a wash at a $1k delta.

For me, it came down to the third row in the LR vs performance of the P. I really wanted the extra seats since I'm still toting kids and their friends all over the place, but that meant no P. In the end, I went for the P. I deliberated similarly when I bought a Model 3 a few years ago (went for the LR vs P that time), but always regretted not having the P. So, I righted that decision for this round.

I agree with all these points. It was a different equation when there was a $10k delta between the LR & P, rather than the current $5k delta. If you aren't a fan of the Geminis and plan to upgrade to the inductions on the LR, then the delta is now only $3k. Then if you are considering the boost for the LR, then it brings it $2k closer, where it's basically a wash at a $1k delta.

For me, it came down to the third row in the LR vs performance of the P. I really wanted the extra seats since I'm still toting kids and their friends all over the place, but that meant no P. In the end, I went for the P. I deliberated similarly when I bought a Model 3 a few years ago (went for the LR vs P that time), but always regretted not having the P. So, I righted that decision for this round.
Got my LR at 49,990 when the delta was almost 10k....was over 60k for the P so i wouldnt get the california rebate...Either way i changed or would have changed out rims for lighter less curb rash ones and coilover kit. Ride sucks for a "luxury" car and i commute alot.

Reactions: rob968

Sounds just like me, I had the Model 3 LR-AWD with the Acceleration boost. Sold it and had to buy the MYP this time around.

Reactions: 907XCP and rob968
Sounds just like me, I had the Model 3 LR-AWD with the Acceleration boost. Sold it and had to buy the MYP this time around.
The M3 LR w/boost is about as quick as the MYP is 0-60 and likely quicker in the 1/4 mile from what I've seen posted on YouTube.

WIth the limited price differential between the LR and P versions of the Y, I'd probably go with the P rather than go with a LR and add boost. There was a huge price differential when I bought mine and I got 7 seats so the P wasn't really an option anyway.

The M3 LR w/boost is about as quick as the MYP is 0-60 and likely quicker in the 1/4 mile from what I've seen posted on YouTube.

WIth the limited price differential between the LR and P versions of the Y, I'd probably go with the P rather than go with a LR and add boost. There was a huge price differential when I bought mine and I got 7 seats so the P wasn't really an option anyway.
Think I would rather go for the boost because I do not want the low profile tires.

Reactions: cusetownusa
What is the seat of the pants feel between the two?
Both are quick off the line. The M3 with boost pulls better at higher speeds but the P is no slouch. At the same time the MY LR w/boost is as quick as the P from about 25 mph on up.

Now if you want really affordable quick, the M3 Performance is a lot quicker to 60 than the MYP. On paper it is about .4 seconds but going from 3.5 down to 3.1 (w/rollout) is a difference you can really feel. My wife must have smacked me at least 10 times during a test drive of the M3P whenever I got on it pretty hard.

• Funny
Reactions: Corndart and rob968
I wish the M3 had been a hatch back. It would have fit our needs a lot better. The acceleration was much more visceral than any of the MY variants. I spend a lot of time on sportbikes and it takes a fair amount to move my acceleration needle so to speak. The M3P was in the range where it was at least quick enough for me to be enthusiastic about. The ones I tested did a best of 3.28 to 60' with out rollout being factored. This translated into being actually quicker than Tesla's claim of 3.1 w/rollout.

With the addition of all season tires on the MYP, it reduces one of the big issues if you live in an area with less than ideal weather for the MYP now. A caveat to that is low profile/wide tires are the exact opposite of what you want in snow. So if you live where there is a lot of snow you'll probably end up buying a winter set of tires anyway whereas with the MY LR, the stock 19's make for an easy tire swap and a lot cheaper tires.

I still think they could have done more to differentiate the P from the LR other than simple bolt-on stuff you could do in your own garage pretty easily (other than the bump in power). Maybe active dampening, better thought out suspension in general, nicer seats, better wheels, etc.

I wish the M3 had been a hatch back. It would have fit our needs a lot better. The acceleration was much more visceral than any of the MY variants. I spend a lot of time on sportbikes and it takes a fair amount to move my acceleration needle so to speak. The M3P was in the range where it was at least quick enough for me to be enthusiastic about. The ones I tested did a best of 3.28 to 60' with out rollout being factored. This translated into being actually quicker than Tesla's claim of 3.1 w/rollout.

With the addition of all season tires on the MYP, it reduces one of the big issues if you live in an area with less than ideal weather for the MYP now. A caveat to that is low profile/wide tires are the exact opposite of what you want in snow. So if you live where there is a lot of snow you'll probably end up buying a winter set of tires anyway whereas with the MY LR, the stock 19's make for an easy tire swap and a lot cheaper tires.

I still think they could have done more to differentiate the P from the LR other than simple bolt-on stuff you could do in your own garage pretty easily (other than the bump in power). Maybe active dampening, better thought out suspension in general, nicer seats, better wheels, etc.
Agree with you, and I am in real snow country and agree with your thoughts on wheels/tIre’s. For me, the MYLR as a platform is better. But, if there were some of those other things that were not essentially bolt on, that may have made a difference. But I also understand those making the opposite choice regarding platform for their needs and uses in their areas.

Going from a car I made faster to a bike then back to a car made me not want to make my car faster, it was nowhere in the ballpark of my bike (and I only had a Katana 600). That was decades ago, but I can see with EV acceleration, it can close the gap. As with you, my requirement was for a hatchback. I would have easily got an M3 hatch over the Y, but the Y sort of is the M3 hatch. Not upset with the purchase at all though.

I had a day 1 reservation for a M3 first it was first announced and opened up, but after its big reveal later on, I cancelled it. The MS was a sedan with a hatchback, the MX a SUV hatchback, so I was expecting the M3 to be a smaller version of the MS with a hatchback, seemed like the logical progression. But no, for the M3 they went with a trunk instead and that was a non-starter for me. I've had a couple of cars with trunks that were useless, put in one large suitcase and no more room for another one, have to use the back seat. Multiple times a year having to rent or borrow somebody's truck or SUV to bring home something because no way to fit it in my car with its trunk design. As much as I wanted to get that M3P, I had to pass and wait for the MYP. No regrets. If they ever change the trunk on the M3P to a hatchback, then I might have to revisit that decision, but pretty certain that will never happen since that is basically the MY... Now we just need that update to unlock more power out of those P motors, close the gap to the M3P, and give us track mode. Dear Santa, all I want for Christmas is...

Reactions: Arctic_White

It doesn’t feel like they are trying to differentiate the MYP and MYLR. It seems they are happy with their differentiation from the MY with the MXP and MXLR

Our demo was in the performance. and a Big seller was that speed, wife's sunglasses flew off her head upon first pedal smash. lol we ordered at the SC when we returned.

It was decided that 3.5 vs 4.8 0-60 time, being that either version is nearly twice as fast as most cars we've owned, was not worth the added cost and ordered the LR. We've had it for 6 months now, Often consider the boost but meh.... Our LR is already faster than anything around already and is a BLAST to pass on two lanes with. Playing with the pedal, you can feel the programming at work. Not much difference from 2/3 to full.

oh also wanted the smaller 19" wheels with more rubber. no regrets so far, wife commutes daily in it.

If I were to get my own model 3 to stop gap until we get a truck, which we're seriously thinking of doing., Id REALLY consider the P though. just because, being a motorcyclist, I dont spend much time in the car, might be worth it for the funsies :)

Last edited: