Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y rattle - anybody has similar problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The noise might be coming from the very rear of the car, where the glass meets the plastic above where the rear speakers are. The Loveland, CO SC fixed my rattle by working in the area. On the outside of the car, push on car above where the spoiler is located and the glass...and see if it make any noise.
Yeah I saw a post about this issue.
When I press outside no sounds. Pretty solid.
Also I adjusted 4 stoppers for rear hatch long time ago, they were completely off and hatch was bouncing and making other headache issues. But that is solved.

Spent some quality time with Tone Generator app. That identified some rattle from Sub between 62 and 69Hz.

Rode for 15 min at rear seat looking for damn sound.
I think I found it. It comes from door panel touching plastic that at the bottom. Look at the video when I press on that plastic to create a gap or put fingers between door panel and plastic that sound stops. Was trying to press and release. You may also hear similar sound from drivers door.

Mostly it comes from rear driver door, and on very bad roads on front driver door and rear passenger door. But rear driver side is non stop.

Not sure what happened. For 18k miles everything was good, then it started.
Did MY doors sag?
Not sure what the remedy is from that but I guess I will be stuffing some rags there to keep $60k car silent like it was.

Anyway hope that helps.

Interested if someone with that sound can confirm same thing.

And very open to suggestions what to do about it!

Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
I have similar rattle noise, I somewhat isolated it at the little metal box (LED Rear light control module?) next to the subwoofer.

The video below is before I do anything.

I tried to tighten the 3 bolts and the noise seems to be gone. (I did not tighten the bolts (10mm) really tight, as I did stripped quite a few screws/bolts before)

When I push it after tightening the bolts, I can still hear little metal tinking noise but it’s way less than the noise from the video)

Drove to church and back earlier today, could not hear the sound anymore but time will tell.

I have similar rattle noise, I somewhat isolated it at the little metal box (LED Rear light control module?) next to the subwoofer.

The video below is before I do anything.

I tried to tighten the 3 bolts and the noise seems to be gone. (I did not tighten the bolts (10mm) really tight, as I did stripped quite a few screws/bolts before)

When I push it after tightening the bolts, I can still hear little metal tinking noise but it’s way less than the noise from the video)

Drove to church and back earlier today, could not hear the sound anymore but time will tell.

Where is that located, by the rear hatch?

Reviving this as I’m hearing same rattle from the first post. Any luck so far with anyone?

The noise might be coming from the very rear of the car, where the glass meets the plastic above where the rear speakers are. The Loveland, CO SC fixed my rattle by working in the area. On the outside of the trunk, push on car above the spoiler and the glass...and see if it make any noise.

Reactions: Predation
The rattle came back for me. I have no rattle when the seat is folded. I tried to check the headrest but it was not it.

Ugh.
Make sure that all of the seat back clips are fully inserted. I found that one of the clips on the seat back of the right second row passenger seat was not fully seated. It only took one good whack to the seat back with my open hand to fully insert the offending clip and the rattle was gone.

Make sure that all of the seat back clips are fully inserted. I found that one of the clips on the seat back of the right second row passenger seat was not fully seated. It only took one good whack to the seat back with my open hand to fully insert the offending clip and the rattle was gone.

Interesting I have large gaps between the seat back panel and the seats (large enough to put a finger in). My MYLR have been rattling since day 1.

Do you have pictures where these clips are?

No photos. If you fold down the seat you can access the panel that covers the back of the seat. Clips are at the outer edges and in the corners. You may able to see that a specific clip is not fully seated. Make sure the clip is lined up with the hole in the seat and then firmly hit the spot with the palm of your hand.

• Informative
One of my seat backs didn't look right and it was loose. After a bit of gentle prying I found that I had one clip missing. Mobile service came out and installed, but it hasn't solved my rattle. I have recently started driving with rear seats reclined and so far that has stopped the rattle, but I still haven't found the source.

PXL_20230109_225639694.jpg
PXL_20230109_225555488.jpg

One of my seat backs didn't look right and it was loose. After a bit of gentle prying I found that I had one clip missing. Mobile service came out and installed, but it hasn't solved my rattle. I have recently started driving with rear seats reclined and so far that has stopped the rattle, but I still haven't found the source.

Same for me! If the right seat is reclined, I have no rattle! But I have one as soon as it's up! It's driving me crazy!

Just an update on my end. Irvine SC found that the noise was coming from the LH c-pillar. They correctly seated the LH lower c-pillar and insulated the contact surfaces to the frame.
I Test drove over an area that 100% made this noise and is now gone. Maybe still there but he probably insulated the *sugar* out of that area. 😂

• Informative
Just an update on my end. Irvine SC found that the noise was coming from the LH c-pillar. They correctly seated the LH lower c-pillar and insulated the contact surfaces to the frame.
I Test drove over an area that 100% made this noise and is now gone. Maybe still there but he probably insulated the *sugar* out of that area. 😂

Can you take a picture of this area and where foams was added?

Wanted to give an update on my 2023 Rattles which finally got RESOLVED 🙏 after a Saga which eventually ended with getting the General manager into the loop given how much attitude the Advisor was throwing around at Palo Alto SC and even started telling me that he would charge me for the service because apparently 'Noise' is not covered under warranty. Hope this post helps anybody who is still frustrated with the rattles.

So two things that were causing this,
1 - The rear seats were not bolted properly into the frame, and there are two seat heating components which are just attached to frame and sit below the seats. The one of the right rear was not fixed properly, and this was the main source of noise when going over bumps it was hitting the metal frame and rattling.
2 - The left rear window was not fully attached to the regulator. The glass was vibrating and hitting the regulators when going over the bumps and hence the noise of rattles. If you gently tap on the door when glass is upright position, the glass should not wobble. I saw that happen and SC was initially reluctant to look into that but the GM also reluctantly agreed to look into that. I had been telling them this was the issue from Day1, and for some reason SC is not willing to admit there is fault there.

Anyways, finally after 3months and 5 SC visits, got the issue resolved! It does not rattle when going over bumps and tested it well on the dreaded El Camino Real road. Also, the Model Y rear seat rattle is a known issue, so for folks with the problem please ask them open up bottom of the rear seats and check for loose wires/elements.

I know how frustrating it can be drive around with the rattles, I am so much at peace with the car now and feels good to drive without being frustrated. Hope this helps! :)

cc - @juli1 - Thank you for your videos, helped prove my case in point!! I know you mentioned rattles are back, so hopefully this helps you somehow.

Nice one! I had a rattling noise that was driving me crazy. Turned out to be something simple, my garage door opener clipped to my passenger vanity mirror was the culprit.
I had the same with a clip on air freshener on the passenger visor. I thought the rattle was in the dash and my wife insisted it was in the console. Turned out the scent pack was rattling inside the holder. 🤬