Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y rear bench creaking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
bolster is this part which is missing in this pic

View attachment 962106
The confusion was that the term "bolster" is normally used for the padded side edges of the seat ... i.e. what stops you sliding off the seat when you go around corners. People may well use the same term for that section beside the rear seats but it's not really part of the seat so I can understand the puzzlement. In this case your picture provided the perfect explanation of what was meant!

The confusion was that the term "bolster" is normally used for the padded side edges of the seat ... i.e. what stops you sliding off the seat when you go around corners. People may well use the same term for that section beside the rear seats but it's not really part of the seat so I can understand the puzzlement. In this case your picture provided the perfect explanation of what was meant!
this is actually how tesla calls this part

So got my car back from the SC this weekend and they seem to have (mostly) resolved the rattling and squeaking (touch wood).

They found three separate noises - and these were fixed by:

1) Replaced the center seat belt due to an internal rattle.
2) The leather creaking noise has been located to the drivers rear door panel. The act of removing and refitting has fixed
3) The sound (that I thought was) windows rattling against the seals -
"Noise located to the passenger side rear door panel. A minimal amount of movement from plastic on the structure of the door panel are the root cause. I have applied plastic adhesive to the effected rivets and tested. Confirm the noise has cleared." On the drive home from the SC I heard the third noise on the drivers side - but only a few times and it's been quiet on a few subsequent drives.

I will have limited opportunity to test over the next few weeks but do have a couple of long journeys planned in September (this is when the leather squeaking usually surfaces) - so they have invited me back to have a further look if anything surfaces in those tests.

Fingers crossed.

They had my Y for 9 days, and I had a 2019 M3P in the meantime - this also had its fair share of rattles and creaks but I could only hear these on impact. (i.e. potholes, going over bumps etc) - nothing just continuously droning in the background so it was an altogether more enjoyable drive. Hopefully the Y has been fixed!

Reactions: Danno_ and dkni
My 2023 MY RWD started to creak after 2500 miles. I initially thought it was suspension issue , but this is what TESLA said in the invoice after service -

“Road tested vehicle to confirm rattling noise coming from rear.
Lubricated krytox on the liftgate seal and applied feltape to
rear seats where the metal release is located. Went for a final
road test and can confirm noise is no longer present in the rear
of the vehicle.”
after service most of the creak has gone but it’s wasn’t 100% creak free.
So I called the engineer again and upon test drive he said it’s the body flex and nothing can be done.
I will put some miles on the clock and see if the creak starts to increase, in which case I will call the service again.

Reactions: nrushforth
it appears Tesla is being inundated with rattle and creek service calls . They have quoited 165£ to diagnose and fix a creek in recent service call. Apparently rattles and creeks are not included in the warranty 😩
They are definitely BSing you. I just had a service call to fix both a rattle and a creek last week. Both ‘resolved’ under warranty. The rattle remains but the rear bench creek has been dealt with.

Reactions: RajG
it appears Tesla is being inundated with rattle and creek service calls . They have quoited 165£ to diagnose and fix a creek in recent service call. Apparently rattles and creeks are not included in the warranty 😩
They often quote a price for warranty work. If the problem turns out to be down to you (you left a rattle under the seat) you pay… if it’s caused by car construction issue you get under warranty.

Reactions: RajG
I had a mobile tech out today for something unrelated but mentioned the creaking. He immediately used some petroleum jelly stuff on the rear door window and boot seals. He stated it’s common and this would last indefinitely (if applied right)…..let’s wait and see. So far, very quiet.

The product was Krytox LVP, which I can’t find for sale on eBay or Amazon.

i found that if i remove the parcel shelf or slide it between the rear seats and parcel shelf holder, the creaking/ tapping noise reduced, very odd!
and also driving over pavement/side ramp results in creeking noise from rear. that is body flex as per service engineer.

I had a mobile tech out today for something unrelated but mentioned the creaking. He immediately used some petroleum jelly stuff on the rear door window and boot seals. He stated it’s common and this would last indefinitely (if applied right)…..let’s wait and see. So far, very quiet.

The product was Krytox LVP, which I can’t find for sale on eBay or Amazon.
It’s on eBay but it ain’t cheap. It’s the same stuff they use to fix creaking VW/Audi sunroofs.