Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y rear bench creaking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just found this thread after another full hour of researching creaks, rattles and the like on my MYLR. How nice to see a familiar name @QuanTim !

I had tried Gummi Pflege on all the door seals but no luck, in fact the rattles came back with a vengeance. I will order some AutoGlym if that's worked for you guys and see if that fixes the issues for me.

@yessuz I'm also having the issue where the leather from the seats is rubbing together on any sort of road surface really - but it's particularly annoying on super smooth roads and I can still hear squeaking/rattling! What's the fix for this, any ideas? I think it's at the 60/40 split.
yeah, I have responded to you.

I added self adhesive felt strips to the side of the seats - anywhere where there is or might be a potential rub of the 2 pieces of tesla's "leather" (made out of poor vegans)... try that :/

It might be that you have it only in one area - you can try to identify that by the least elegant but simple test - I used *sugar* loads of micro-fibre cloths and tucked them between seats - and then driving to see if that sorts it out... like in post #22

yeah, I have responded to you.

I added self adhesive felt strips to the side of the seats - anywhere where there is or might be a potential rub of the 2 pieces of tesla's "leather" (made out of poor vegans)... try that :/

It might be that you have it only in one area - you can try to identify that by the least elegant but simple test - I used *sugar* loads of micro-fibre cloths and tucked them between seats - and then driving to see if that sorts it out... like in post #22
Big thanks for that. I'll give the AutoGlym a go and then see if I can find some felt strips that are sticky enough!

The Autoglym definitely works for me and fixed 99% of the creak/squeak. But the R/O/S door did come back after a couple of weeks. I’ve noticed it’s quite temperature sensitive, so on a cool morning it’s gone, but later, having sat in the sun, it’d return.
It’s no great hardship to coat the seal every couple of weeks and knowing what’s causing it (and that I can quiet it) makes me feel better.
I’ve also found that if you open and close that door it can set it off.
The seals must be tight on that side. Maybe Elon was testing to see if MY can be a boat, prior to trying the Cybertruck ⛴️??

Reactions: NP90
I’ve used Autoglym, Gummi pflege, felt strips and adjusted the bump stops on the tailgate but to no avail.

I’ve also had a rear shock absorber replaced because of a pogo stick type sound that has now returned when going over larger bumps.

The rear off side door and that general area is noisy and the headlining above has now developed a rattle on smooth roads that is genuinely distracting.

To top it off the steering is now creaking and the car is less than a year old.

This is my second Tesla and probably my last.

I’ve used Autoglym, Gummi pflege, felt strips and adjusted the bump stops on the tailgate but to no avail.

I’ve also had a rear shock absorber replaced because of a pogo stick type sound that has now returned when going over larger bumps.

The rear off side door and that general area is noisy and the headlining above has now developed a rattle on smooth roads that is genuinely distracting.

Oh man I can feel your pain - this is my first Tesla and apparently now only worth 60% of what I bought it for a year ago... (trade-in). Massive let down.

I've just found this thread after another full hour of researching creaks, rattles and the like on my MYLR. How nice to see a familiar name @QuanTim !

I had tried Gummi Pflege on all the door seals but no luck, in fact the rattles came back with a vengeance. I will order some AutoGlym if that's worked for you guys and see if that fixes the issues for me.

@yessuz I'm also having the issue where the leather from the seats is rubbing together on any sort of road surface really - but it's particularly annoying on super smooth roads and I can still hear squeaking/rattling! What's the fix for this, any ideas? I think it's at the 60/40 split.
So I also conditioned all my seals thinking that it was the issue. I don't believe it matters what product you use, as long as it lubricates the seals. But, NO change. The creaks are still there...in the back seat, the trunk area, the cargo area.

I'm leaning now towards the panels being the culprit (as well as almost every part of the back seat that is moveable LOL). Since the interior panels are made for easy access to the underlying components (good and bad) the clips that hold them together don't actually hold them together well.
Coming from a Lexus NX, where interior panels are NOT made to just come apart in pieces and everything that "touches" is sound-deadened or padded in some way, the areas that can create squeeks and creaks are much less than in a Tesla.

The headrests in my Lexus also don't make ANY noise when bumping the seat or moving up-down. I like my interior dead silent (my OCD), but it seems like these small creaks (if we are talking about the same thing) are just a part of the TESLA manufacturing/finishing. I added felt strips around every clip-contact-hole on the tail gate of my Model Y and it helped to stop a lot of the trunk noise that I get when hitting small bumps. I'm gonna go into my rear seats and also try to elminate any vibration/noise in the headrests. The interior rear panels (not to mention the headliner contact points)....well, thats a big job to line every contact point...so I'll wait on that for a while.

So I also conditioned all my seals thinking that it was the issue. I don't believe it matters what product you use, as long as it lubricates the seals. But, NO change. The creaks are still there...in the back seat, the trunk area, the cargo area.

I'm leaning now towards the panels being the culprit (as well as almost every part of the back seat that is moveable LOL). Since the interior panels are made for easy access to the underlying components (good and bad) the clips that hold them together don't actually hold them together well.
Coming from a Lexus NX, where interior panels are NOT made to just come apart in pieces and everything that "touches" is sound-deadened or padded in some way, the areas that can create squeeks and creaks are much less than in a Tesla.

The headrests in my Lexus also don't make ANY noise when bumping the seat or moving up-down. I like my interior dead silent (my OCD), but it seems like these small creaks (if we are talking about the same thing) are just a part of the TESLA manufacturing/finishing. I added felt strips around every clip-contact-hole on the tail gate of my Model Y and it helped to stop a lot of the trunk noise that I get when hitting small bumps. I'm gonna go into my rear seats and also try to elminate any vibration/noise in the headrests. The interior rear panels (not to mention the headliner contact points)....well, thats a big job to line every contact point...so I'll wait on that for a while.
just food for thoughts:
Originally, passenger side rear seat bolster was rattling/squeaking... and it had a broken clip.. Not sure if straight of the factory or not. because it fixes to the rear "arch" by 3 clips, and one was gone, there was a bit of flex.

Then they did some other work, and when assembled - misaligned another panel. and sound travels on surfaces... so vibration causing creeks can be in one place but you hear it slightly from another.

Another good thing to do is to have some friend or wife (!?) to drive your vehicle, you sit at the back and record the rattles with videos. show that to SC and let them rip it apart.
it took me almost a year from the moment first rattles appeared till it was sorted. it also took close to 10 service appointments...

I still feel that the interior of this car will fall apart earlier than I will finish paying for it.. it already has done 32k miles and I think it will disintegrate by the time I will reach 80...

Reactions: Gadgetman67
I still feel that the interior of this car will fall apart earlier than I will finish paying for it.. it already has done 32k miles and I think it will disintegrate by the time I will reach 80...
Agreed. My previous M3 that was built in Fremont was pretty poor quality but my current MIC MY is no better really and I've actually had more trouble with it than the M3. Easily the worst car that I've ever owned.

Did they sort the rattles for you? Mine has been in again (3rd time) and it’s still rattling like a bag of M&Ms.
Believe it or not it's still in with them. Apparently they've heard 'some' of the rattles but are working on fixing - haven't heard the others I've described but hopefully the video above is proof enough! This is the third time mine's been in with them but first time they've kept it longer than a couple of hours.

just food for thoughts:
Originally, passenger side rear seat bolster was rattling/squeaking... and it had a broken clip.. Not sure if straight of the factory or not. because it fixes to the rear "arch" by 3 clips, and one was gone, there was a bit of flex.

Then they did some other work, and when assembled - misaligned another panel. and sound travels on surfaces... so vibration causing creeks can be in one place but you hear it slightly from another.

Another good thing to do is to have some friend or wife (!?) to drive your vehicle, you sit at the back and record the rattles with videos. show that to SC and let them rip it apart.
it took me almost a year from the moment first rattles appeared till it was sorted. it also took close to 10 service appointments...

Understood and agreed! These small rattles are driving me crazy, but it seems like we had the same issue. Can you explain what the seat bolster is? I'd like to check on this. My rattle seems to be coming from the rear passenger-side seat. Thanks

Car in with the SC at the moment to look at all the noises and rattles so fingers crossed. The rattling from the backseat is getting pretty bad...

My vehicle is the same. Weird small rattles coming from everywhere, mostly when I'm traveling on rough road. I'm removed several panels and adding felt tape didn't do much, so I'm guessing its the panels rattling against themselves.

Reactions: NP90

That area (the rear side door) is also the same problem area in my 2022 Model Y. Seems like there's some rattle coming from the "shoulder" area of the rear seat (close to the door) and possible the headliner(?!) as well.

Understood and agreed! These small rattles are driving me crazy, but it seems like we had the same issue. Can you explain what the seat bolster is? I'd like to check on this. My rattle seems to be coming from the rear passenger-side seat. Thanks
bolster is this part which is missing in this pic

1691134618817.png