Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y rear bench creaking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have same issue.
If I were you I wouldn’t bother trying to find the source of the creak . I have successfully removed the creak on my 2023 model y by smearing autoglym rubber and vinyl care using a micro fibre cloth on the tail gate rubber seals , rubber stoppers and the metal where the rubber seal sits when the lid is shut. I have done the same on 2 other model ys with same results .
Remove the lower rubber stops and smear the rubber and put them back . Make sure you tighten till you see 2 grooves visible .

Reactions: glovelace
If I were you I wouldn’t bother trying to find the source of the creak . I have successfully removed the creak on my 2023 model y by smearing autoglym rubber and vinyl care using a micro fibre cloth on the tail gate rubber seals , rubber stoppers and the metal where the rubber seal sits when the lid is shut. I have done the same on 2 other model ys with same results .
Remove the lower rubber stops and smear the rubber and put them back . Make sure you tighten till you see 2 grooves visible .
Thank you RajG, I’ll try that. Opened a service request but they wanted £99 to look at it and it’s still under warranty!

Thank you RajG, I’ll try that. Opened a service request but they wanted £99 to look at it and it’s still under warranty!
Don’t worry about the quoted cost. If you can demonstrate the noise and it turns out to be not your fault ( you are not the reason for the rattle, I.e you did not drop something that has caused the rattle), then they will waive it off. Happened to be numerous times. I would say give autoglym a try , you would be surprised.

Don’t worry about the quoted cost. If you can demonstrate the noise and it turns out to be not your fault ( you are not the reason for the rattle, I.e you did not drop something that has caused the rattle), then they will waive it off. Happened to be numerous times. I would say give autoglym a try , you would be surprised.
Brilliant, and thanks for the advice. Every now and then the experience of owning a Tesla is sooo different to the legacy car makers that things catch me out! I've got a service appointment on Weds - keen to know from Tesla what the issue is. I've also got some Autoglym in case they suggest that too!

Reactions: RajG
Brilliant, and thanks for the advice. Every now and then the experience of owning a Tesla is sooo different to the legacy car makers that things catch me out! I've got a service appointment on Weds - keen to know from Tesla what the issue is. I've also got some Autoglym in case they suggest that too!
They use Krytox
KRYTOX NRT 8908 High Temperature Performance Lubricant Grease Tube 2oz | eBay.
Expensive stuff. They will run the lube over all the seals of the trunk and doors .
I have been speaking to a Tesla tech the other day and he mentioned that the trunk issue is a common thing . apparently he fixed 9 model y vehicles recently .
Good luck!

Reactions: glovelace
They use Krytox
KRYTOX NRT 8908 High Temperature Performance Lubricant Grease Tube 2oz | eBay.
Expensive stuff. They will run the lube over all the seals of the trunk and doors .
I have been speaking to a Tesla tech the other day and he mentioned that the trunk issue is a common thing . apparently he fixed 9 model y vehicles recently .
Good luck!
You were 100% right RajG! The service guy twiddled the round bumper discs then applied silicon lube all over. Totally fixed the problem. Thanks for your reply. This forum is brilliant! Now going to ask elsewhere about Faraday boxes and Tesla keys.

You were 100% right RajG! The service guy twiddled the round bumper discs then applied silicon lube all over. Totally fixed the problem. Thanks for your reply. This forum is brilliant! Now going to ask elsewhere about Faraday boxes and Tesla keys.
this is only temp though. but you know what to do if this problem comes back. just autoglym it 👍. regarding the relay theft, with tesla, the phone has to be couple of inches for the signal to be picked up.its not as bad as the likes of Mercedes/ Range rover. initially i used to have pin to drive set but now i dont bother with that anymore.

Last edited:
this is only temp though. but you know what to do if this problem comes back. just autoglym it 👍. regarding the relay theft, with tesla, the phone has to be couple of inches for the signal to be picked up.its not as bad as the likes of Mercedes/ Range rover. initially i used to have pin to drive set but now i dont bother with that anymore.
Very useful, thanks!

Krytox lasted about a week on mine before it started rattling again. My latest experiment has been to clean the rubber seals and the corresponding inner part of the tailgate with warm soapy (fairy liquid) water so that both surfaces are lubricant free. So far so good but experience suggests that any fix is temporary at best. If that fails I have considered applying felt tape to the inner surface of the tailgate so that the rubber seal rubs against the softer felt tape rather than the metal panel and that may stop the squeeks and rattles. It may also compromise the weather resistance though.

Reactions: glovelace and RajG
this is only temp though. but you know what to do if this problem comes back. just autoglym it 👍

Krytox lasted about a week on mine before it started rattling again. My latest experiment has been to clean the rubber seals and the corresponding inner part of the tailgate with warm soapy (fairy liquid) water so that both surfaces are lubricant free. So far so good but experience suggests that any fix is temporary at best. If that fails I have considered applying felt tape to the inner surface of the tailgate so that the rubber seal rubs against the softer felt tape rather than the metal panel and that may stop the squeeks and rattles. It may also compromise the weather resistance though.
felt tape is a good idea but unfortunately it didnt hold on my vehicle and started to peal with in couple of hours. i used

tesa 51608-00001-00 PET Fleece Fabric Tape,​

to be honest to fix the tail gate flexing /creaking noise all you have to do is to apply lubricant (krytox or autoglym) over the marked areas. the rubber seal on the tail gate lid and the corresponsing groove on the frame where the seal sits. P.S this image is copied off the internet just to show the area to lubricate.
model y trunk lid.jpg

to be honest to fix the tail gate flexing /creaking noise all you have to do is to apply lubricant (krytox or autoglym) over the marked areas. the rubber seal on the tail gate lid and the corresponsing groove on the frame where the seal sits. P.S this image is copied off the internet just to show the area to lubricate. View attachment 992272
While I'm waiting for the felt tape to arrive I have cleaned the areas marked on that photo with soapy water and applied some autoglym to the rubber strip to see if that improves the cacophony of sounds emminating from the rear (of the car).