Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Rear Ended - Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MY got rear ended on a highway. Car is drivable and drove it back home to the garage. I am out of town and I need to know if there is a risk for the wife charging the car at home until I get back, which is in a week.

I don’t know if there is a damage to battery that could present a risk to charging at home.
Will there be an error thrown on the screen saying that the battery is damaged?

Attachments

• IMG_6356.jpeg
    IMG_6356.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 493
At this point, in what will be a long journey, address your concerns about this in the app. Tesla can diagnose your car remotely. There is also a service mode you can enter into from the screen in your car. But again, Tesla can see these remotely and give a full diagnosis remotely. There's a lot of expertise here on TMC, but only Tesla can give a full diagnosis.

Sorry to see the accident. I got rear ended on the highway just under 2 years ago and the damage to my car was slightly less than yours but it looks like the same parts got damaged. My liftgate got a bit displaced but still worked, and I was able to drive the car without any issue. There weren't any error messages and I charged the car as usual while I waited 2 months for the body shop appointment (where the car spent another 1.5 months).

Due to the nature of the damage and no warnings from the car, I went straight to the body shop to start the repair process. I guess it doesn't hurt to check with Tesla, but if the car drives fine and has no warnings, there is probably no issue with the battery and charging.

Reactions: zoomer0056
The person who rear ended my car is insured by State Farm. State Farm did an initial photo estimate and it was ~$7.5k. I finally got an appointment and I took the MY to the body shop and got an estimate, that was $23k. So State Farm now re-appraised the damage to be ~18K, now they won't pay more than that to fix the car, the difference is $5k. I either have an option to go through my insurance or finding an attorney. And there might be bodily injury to my wife as well. This is getting complicated. Any advice or suggestions folks have would be helpful.

Yeesh, sorry to hear about this and hope she is ok.

I would have thought that you just tell your insurance company and (as it was not your fault) they would go after their insurance (they have their own lawyers to chase them). But maybe it works differently where you are located?

In any case from the estimates I've seen the final totals always go up from the estimates; so $23k will likely climb further once they start taking things apart, not to mention any personal injuries.

If your insurance won't go to bat for you then maybe time to consider a lawyer.

Sorry and good luck!

Reactions: spacemnspiff
The person who rear ended my car is insured by State Farm. State Farm did an initial photo estimate and it was ~$7.5k. I finally got an appointment and I took the MY to the body shop and got an estimate, that was $23k. So State Farm now re-appraised the damage to be ~18K, now they won't pay more than that to fix the car, the difference is $5k. I either have an option to go through my insurance or finding an attorney. And there might be bodily injury to my wife as well. This is getting complicated. Any advice or suggestions folks have would be helpful.
Did State Farm assume 100% responsibility of the accident? If so that’s weird that they would put a cap on the repair cost. I guess in this scenario I would say go through your own insurance and have them subrogate for the repair cost and reimburse your deductible if they are successful. With my accident the other insurance (All State) contacted me to assume responsibility, but I went through my insurance for the repairs and they reimbursed my deductible after subrogation. I did deal directly with All State for diminished value claim and rental car costs beyond my own insurance coverage. Other than lowballing me on diminished value, which I expected, they didn’t deny anything that they should cover otherwise.

Reactions: spacemnspiff
Did State Farm assume 100% responsibility of the accident? If so that’s weird that they would put a cap on the repair cost. I guess in this scenario I would say go through your own insurance and have them subrogate for the repair cost and reimburse your deductible if they are successful. With my accident the other insurance (All State) contacted me to assume responsibility, but I went through my insurance for the repairs and they reimbursed my deductible after subrogation. I did deal directly with All State for diminished value claim and rental car costs beyond my own insurance coverage. Other than lowballing me on diminished value, which I expected, they didn’t deny anything that they should cover otherwise.
Yes the party that rear ended was at fault in the police report and State Farm has assumed responsibility for the accident, but they give themselves wiggle room by using wording like 'reasonable cost of repairs'. State Farm is lowballing on the labor costs and the body shop was not surprised, according to them State Farm is known to do that. In the meantime, I have a rental from State Farm while MY is in the shop. Eventually I will have to have conversation about diminished value for a 7mo old car with State Farm.

Thanks for all the replies, I will contact my insurance company - Allstate and get the process started and will also look around for lawyers if eventually I need one.