Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Rear Passenger Windows

Lostthebeat

Jan 30, 2020
Orlando
I thought so, and having tinted. Thank you.

Ok, so, can anyone tell me what this means? If I simply wanted to tint my front windows to "match" the rear, I'd also have to the tint the rear windows? Sorry for my ignorance, I've just casually noted many posts where posters state their intent to just tint the front windows...

Rcmpnc

Jul 3, 2020
Durham NC
I haven’t taken delivery yet. However, I’ve seen (too) many threads about who’s tinted what windows to what level. In my case, I will simply chat with my installer to ask “what % tint is on the rear windows” and ask they setup all door windows tint to darkest allowed in my state. The two I’ve worked with over the last ten years have been easy to work with.

Florida is more permissive IIRC about tint levels than NC. However I’m sure installers there, like here, have experience measuring and matching tint levels etc per request

Ok, so, can anyone tell me what this means? If I simply wanted to tint my front windows to "match" the rear, I'd also have to the tint the rear windows? Sorry for my ignorance, I've just casually noted many posts where posters state their intent to just tint the front windows...

Reactions: Lostthebeat

TonyMS

Mar 21, 2020
Louisiana
I just tinted to match so just the fronts. That is what I have always done with any vehicle with colored glass tinted whatever. Never had heat troubles with any of them.

LevelHeaded

Dec 31, 2019
Salt Lake City, UT, USA
I think the colored glass distinction has to do with heat rejection, not necessarily visible light transmission. Some are tinting the rear as well, adding no to little reduction in visible light transmission, but for the heat rejection. I guess the idea is the simple colored glass that comes from factory doesn’t offer what an actual tint would at the same darkness.

Reactions: Lostthebeat

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC