Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Rear seat rattling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

There is a rattling sound coming from the rear seat on the passenger side. Does anyone know what this could be? I had someone sit in the back and confirm it was coming from the bottom, possibly under the seat.
This is not due to the seat belt, I bought the Etsy attachment to move the seatbelt away from the door and also had someone sit in the back with the seatbelt buckled in.

Hello,

There is a rattling sound coming from the rear seat on the passenger side. Does anyone know what this could be? I had someone sit in the back and confirm it was coming from the bottom, possibly under the seat.
This is not due to the seat belt, I bought the Etsy attachment to move the seatbelt away from the door and also had someone sit in the back with the seatbelt buckled in.

We’re you able to fix rattle? If so, how?

I think I have same issue in 23’ YP..

Are you sure both side seatbelt not hitting the Pilar??

I took it to service they took the seat apart put some foam and never heard that noise again

They said seatbelt rattle against pillars but had to remove seat to fix it never made sense but it we was fixed

Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
My 13 year old was in backseat on passenger side during drive today and no rattle, so she must have been putting enough pressure on the seat to stop the rattle. Getting some foam on all the edges where rear seat meets the frame should do the trick.

There's a YouTube guy who has a few vids taking apart his M3 to address every rattle, including removing rear seat. Kinda interesting I guess. At least it helps makes the task of addressing rattles at home a little more doable if you don't mind disassembling parts of your car..

Rattle fix part 1

Rattle fix part 2

There is a (non-battery related) wire harness that runs through that passenger side of the car and up the C pillar midway. Mine was loose and making a tapping noise over bumps. I took off the passenger side panels from the rear seat back and resecured and wrapped that wire harness.

Have had to do similar tasks on other vehicles before. Wish manufacturers would pay more attention to this stuff. I'm sure 97% of car owners don't notice it, but us 3% sure do.

There is a (non-battery related) wire harness that runs through that passenger side of the car and up the C pillar midway. Mine was loose and making a tapping noise over bumps. I took off the passenger side panels from the rear seat back and resecured and wrapped that wire harness.

Have had to do similar tasks on other vehicles before. Wish manufacturers would pay more attention to this stuff. I'm sure 97% of car owners don't notice it, but us 3% sure do.
Haven't really investigated further into my own issue but I'll look into what you described with the C pillar along with the mentions below.
  • I also read online about a few other issues which may be related:
    • Loose wire inside the rear passenger door. Saw someone removed the door panel to secure it.
    • Compartment space on the rear passenger door, the plastics are knocking against each other. Fix would be to place a spacer between the two pieces.
    • The metal part where the seats latches together (can be seen when you fold the rear seat) knocking against the seat. Fix would be to wrap the metal part with a velcro.
    • As mentioned by another comment above, place an over the support bar beneath the seat.

Once I try the methods above, I will let everyone know what worked for me.

I think I had this same noise for a while and then it went away on its own. Wouldn't be surprised if it came back though. I got back there while some else was driving and it sounded like it was coming from inside the door, but hard to say.

I fixed a rattle in the passenger side door that was a plastic connector rattling against it's plastic holder clip--I wouldn't be surprised if it something similar.

Would love to hear updates for this though!