Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y ride comfort?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 20 inch induction wheels and have been thinking of the same scenario. Which tires are you thinking about? I

As far as I’ve gotten is if someone wanted to cut down the overall price and have “one tire to rule them all” I would go with a Michelin Cross Climate 255/55/18 with a 109L load rating. They run ~$250 each, but should be MUCH better than the Contis, and be suitable year round in the colder climates to boot!

Attachments

• CD9F9494-CE9C-4D4E-9B40-BF945D440FC3.png
    CD9F9494-CE9C-4D4E-9B40-BF945D440FC3.png
    865.1 KB · Views: 122
Reactions: Cmf2455
As far as I’ve gotten is if someone wanted to cut down the overall price and have “one tire to rule them all” I would go with a Michelin Cross Climate 255/55/18 with a 109L load rating. They run ~$250 each, but should be MUCH better than the Contis, and be suitable year round in the colder climates to boot!
I am torn on what brand of rim to get. Tire Rack 18 inch rims talk about no tire pressure sensor. The local installer will have to add one or use the existing one? What is that about?

I recently took delivery of a new 2021 MY LR DM w/19' Geminis. My previous vehicle was/is a 2016 MS w/air suspension, before that I had a 2017 Porsche Macan (base model, standard suspension). The Macan is certainly the best amongst the three as far as steering/suspension goes - mine also had 18" base model wheels with fairly tall sidewalls. The MS w/air suspension is the smoothest of the three, but the steering feels very loose, vague on-center, and has a tendency towards understeer. The lack of tight on-center feel tended to result in making many micro-adjustments during highway driving, and the Autopilot system itself seemed to struggle with the failure to hold directly to the center of the lane (lots of small taps right and left). I test drove a Model 3 several times, which I liked much more as far as driving dynamics go, but ultimately knew I needed the space of the Model Y (2 kids, dog, sometimes carry large things) and the entry/exit positions were better.

So, after ~500ish miles in my 2021 MY, here are my thoughts:
1. Steering: Worlds better than the Model S, closer but not quite as accurate as the Macan. Very strong on-center feel, very strong return-to-center (I believe this has to do with the factory alignment specs more than anything else), very fast ratio (almost too fast). The settings menu produces little difference in weight (I honestly can't tell if I'm in comfort, standard, or sport) - much different from the Model S where the difference was significant. In this aspect, it's very close to the Model 3, just a bit less accurate. I have noticed a *slight* understeer tendency, but I think that may iron itself out after a few hundred more miles on the tires/bushings.

2. Suspension: The vehicle needs two things; smaller wheels with taller sidewalls, and probably different spring rates. The first is very, very obvious. Another inch of sidewall all around would make a world of difference to take the edge off the common forms of harsh pavement - that's what the Macan has in the 18-inch wheel guise. Right now, even though the suspension tries to filter out some of the harshness of worse roads, it's not getting any help from the tire aspect of things. I suspect that a softer compound tire would also make a lot of difference - I actually think the 21" Uberturbines get away with a better ride because they are equipped with softer tires out of the gate. The second is less obvious, but it seems like the factory springs just aren't *quite* up to the task. I suspect that in order to achieve the higher ride height, but maintain the sporty nature of the vehicle, the spring rates are very...stiff...? I don't know the technical term for it, but I can tell the damper is trying (and doing a relatively decent job) but it seems to be fighting what's getting transmitted directly to the vehicle (particularly in the rear) by the springs.

IMHO, the first step to smooth out the ride, without sacrificing sportiness/driveability (but perhaps some range) is to go to an 18 inch wheel, with a 255/55/18 size, softer compound tire. Ideally, you would also cut some unsprung weight on the corners by getting a much lighter wheel (such as the Martian Wheels forged wheels). The second step would be to move to something like UPP mild/moderate springs. The final step would be coilovers.

Once I have the vehicle firmly broken in, I think I'm going to start with Step 1. If I'm happy then, I'll stop. If not, I'll keep going!
I checked out the Martian wheels. They look great but the price! Double Tire Rack rims. Worth it? Why? Thanks

I checked out the Martian wheels. They look great but the price! Double Tire Rack rims. Worth it? Why? Thanks

At the moment, TireRack has none of the new style TPMS the Model Y uses - they are special Bluetooth modules, and run about $75 each from Tesla directly. In the future, I’m sure they will get them, and it’s my understanding you can order them from Tesla is you want to.

Nothing at all wrong with some of the 18 inch wheel options TireRack offers - in particular there are several Enkei models that would work well, at ~$250 each. They all weigh about 22-24 pounds (5 pounds or so less than the 19’ Geminis). The Martian wheels, on the other hand, weigh 18.5 pounds each, and are objectively much stronger (forged). Losing ~10 pounds of unsprung weight on each corner is a MASSIVE benefit in every aspect. Handling, range, durability, etc.

The question really is - is it worth the extra $1k to get wheels like the Martians over the Enkeis? I think the answer is yes, because it’s so much bang for your $$, comparatively, and it basically ensures you maximize your benefit in that (very important) area of the vehicle.

I am torn on what brand of rim to get. Tire Rack 18 inch rims talk about no tire pressure sensor. The local installer will have to add one or use the existing one? What is that about?
The Model Y uses a new Blue Tooth based TPS sensor. TireRack does not sell it. So, you either need to use the stock TPMS (if you don't intend to use the stock rims anymore) or buy Tesla TPMS sensors, from Tesla.

Be careful about 18" rims as you need to worry about their ability to fit the brake calipers and their load ratings (not just the tire's load rating). There are threads discussing the issue.

The Model Y uses a new Blue Tooth based TPS sensor. TireRack does not sell it. So, you either need to use the stock TPMS (if you don't intend to use the stock rims anymore) or buy Tesla TPMS sensors, from Tesla.

Be careful about 18" rims as you need to worry about their ability to fit the brake calipers and their load ratings (not just the tire's load rating). There are threads discussing the issue.

Definitely another reason to go with forged wheels and appropriate load rating tires!

Like you, I prefer a smoother ride when driving what is advertised as a luxury vehicle; unfortunately the MY is definitely a stiffer ride. IMHO, when compared to my wife's (cheaper) Lexus RX 350, there is no contest; the Lexus wins hands down.

Here is a video posted by Ryan Shaw about this very issue, and what he did to combat it.

I have seen the recent programming leaks indicating that the MY could be moving towards an air suspension, but I don't know to what degree this would address the problem of a rougher ride.

While aftermarket kits can be installed, it bothers me that I would have to immediately install an aftermarket kit on a $50,000.00 car; obviously other car companies have done a great job on their cars at a lesser price so for a cutting edge company like Tesla this should be a no-brainer.

Same here. My 2007 160K miles Lexus RX 350 drives smoother even today compared to any of my Teslas that I had (S, 3 or Y). My Y was riding harsh when I picked it up (19" OEM tires), but after around 1500 miles on it the ride has become noticeably better. It came at 42 PSI and I reduced that to 40 PSI.

Thank you. I am definitely going to go with the Martian wheels 19 inch. Now what would be a good tire to place on them?

Thank you. I am definitely going to go with the Martian wheels 19 inch. Now what would be a good tire to place on them?

Winter tire? All season?

I have always been partial with Michelin and wanted to get their new X-Ice Snow winter tires but they were too late getting them out so I opted for Hakka R3 SUV winter tires on a 19 inch MW03 Martian Wheels rim. These are good, especially in the snow but they are wasted on dry pavement. Plus they are a bit noisy in my opinion, but when I bought in Oct there was not much to choose from and local temps were getting too cold for the P Zero on the 21 Ubers.

Hakka R3 SUV Winter
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/nokian-tire-hakkapeliitta-r3-suv/p/88284

Michelin
Winter
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...del=Model Y Performance&autoModClar=255/45-19

All Season
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...del=Model Y Performance&autoModClar=255/45-19

But there are other good ones out there too.

Just had my Martian Wheels 18 inch installed with Nokia’s WRG4 SUV All Weather Tires. Replaced the 20 inch Induction wheels from Tesla with Goodyear 255/40 R20 101W M&S. Very happy with the ride. Will need more driving to get a better feel for the difference but I already notice a smoother ride.

Reactions: Carlvs
Honestly I am surprised by Tesla's choice in wheel and tire sizes on the Model Y. For a car aimed at the masses a 18" comfort based tire wheel choice should be available from the factory or air suspension. I am surprised how harsh the ride is for a main stream car. While I understand it as a car enthusiast I think that alot of people wanting to buy the Model Y as their family car will find it unacceptable.

Don't forget that because of the weight of the vehicle, tire weight ratings go up, hence stiffer sidewalls. The tires themselves, IIRC, are actually light truck tires.

Engineering a compliant ride with sporty handling, considering the weight, is an expensive proposition. There's a reason the Audi etron is so expensive!