Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y ride comfort?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rigid hatch stops will solve all the ‘perceived’ harsh ride issues and boominess, which also causes ear and sinus discomfort for some.
$4 DIY that will transform your Model Y.
You may be conflating two distinct problems. The Y's suspension (based on a few admittedly not very lengthy test drives on my part) did not seem well settled in terms of controlling body movement while concurrently absorbing irregularities in whatever surface you're driving over. My biggest complaint is on freeway sections with expansion joints, where it bobs fore and aft like a short wheel base vehicle (reminds me of my 1994 Jeep Wrangler actually), which was a bit surprising.

Bump stops are supposedly the cure for what sounds like (didn't experience it) pressure changes inside the vehicle, perhaps associated with going over surfaces like the expansion joints I mentioned. They are not going to do anything about the fore/aft bobble head problem that I experienced, unless there is something that I didn't grok after reading a few threads associated with the boominess / bump stop hack.

The 22’ MYP I have rides stiff over everything. Feels like a truck, not much absorption of bumps/road. That’s the big thing I notice. Maybe the updated body casting in one piece helps, but until they bring on air suspension, if they ever, that’s the significant difference in ride vs other 65k cars in its class. Car is awesome otherwise.
Try reducing psi to 38/39…will help quite a bit with smaller road bumps. Minor range loss for some added comfort. Or try going to 265/285 40 21’s for some added rubber.

The ride on the Y is harsh. And I mean HARSH. It’s the worst part of the experience IMO.
Absolutely.. I am in Dallas and roads in most areas are pretty bumpy because of concrete roads. Every one in family complaints about the hash ride/uncomfortable ride in Model Y (Feb 2022). Our previous one was Q7. Traded as we were getting good resale value and we had a van too, but now I am thinking that was mistake. Also in last 4 years my Audi has only oil changes and tire rotation. Have not spent more than 5/6 hundred bucks on maintenance.