Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y ride comfort?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
obviously the ride is horrible and the first thing I noticed, thinking something was wrong physically with my specific car. I am embarrassed to take passengers. The ride does soften maybe 10% after around 10,000 kms but still unacceptable. The only other thing that helps a tad is lowering tire pressure to 38psi. The tpms warning won't go off until 34-35 psi

I’m coming from a 2018 Kia Stinger GT 2 and that suspension outshined the model y. By far the most harsh ride I’ve had. Looking to get MPP Coilovers to alleviate all the bumps that have spilled my coffee in my 300 miles of ownership.

LOL. I have the MPP coilovers and they are fantastic in comparison to stock. I will say though that it won't magically prevent coffee from spilling over big bumps (I've already done it 3x now).

I will say to anyone reading this, if you feel the ride is harsh but you still plan on having the car for at least 3 to 5 years. Do yourself a favour and just upgrade to MPP coilovers immediately.

I'm an optimistic guy, always the "glass half full" vs. the "glass half empty."

21k miles, 10k or so on the MPP coilovers. Even with the MPP coilovers, my "glass half full" still spills if I'm not careful.

Just test drove a 2018 Model S, 26k miles, with the air suspension. HUH??? It's quieter, for sure, better sound dampening, but seriously, it's just as jiggly as the Model Y, just a bit less harsh.

I should add that the MPPs take the edge off, helps the MY feel more planted, but it does NOT make the suspension as supple as I would like. Seriously wondering if the Ohlins is any better???????

Last edited:
obviously the ride is horrible and the first thing I noticed, thinking something was wrong physically with my specific car. I am embarrassed to take passengers. The ride does soften maybe 10% after around 10,000 kms but still unacceptable. The only other thing that helps a tad is lowering tire pressure to 38psi. The tpms warning won't go off until 34-35 psi
I think I’m also going to drop the pressure to 38. Did you find that it affects the range significantly?
I came from an X3 M40i with 21s and adaptive dampers. My girlfriend hates the ride in the MYP but never once complained about the X3.

Reactions: John in LB
Just test drove a 2018 Model S, 26k miles, with the air suspension. HUH??? It's quieter, for sure, better sound dampening, but seriously, it's just as jiggly as the Model Y, just a bit less harsh.
Agreed, no Tesla is smooth on bumpy roads, Teslas are tuned for sporty fast driving and awesome handling. In my experience with the S: The ones with coil suspension are the worst, then air suspension until early 2019 is noticeably better, and Raven S from 2019 and newer is the best one and smoothest Tesla, but it's still kinda bumpy compared to Lexus or Cadillac even with standard coil suspension. My wife is considering Volkswagen ID4 AWD now to replace our Model 3, because ID4 is smooth and quiet, AWD version has 0-60 in 5.9 seconds, and it's under $40K after tax credit. Hopefully Model Y will get cheaper standard range version in Austin with updated smoother suspension and $8000 tax credit, then we will get the Y instead.

Reactions: tm1v2
Agreed, no Tesla is smooth on bumpy roads, Teslas are tuned for sporty fast driving and awesome handling. In my experience with the S: The ones with coil suspension are the worst, then air suspension until early 2019 is noticeably better, and Raven S from 2019 and newer is the best one and smoothest Tesla, but it's still kinda bumpy compared to Lexus or Cadillac even with standard coil suspension. My wife is considering Volkswagen ID4 AWD now to replace our Model 3, because ID4 is smooth and quiet, AWD version has 0-60 in 5.9 seconds, and it's under $40K after tax credit. Hopefully Model Y will get cheaper standard range version in Austin with updated smoother suspension and $8000 tax credit, then we will get the Y instead.
the Western US is unlikely ever to see an Austin-built Tesla. GigaTexas will ship to Midwest, East, and Central/South America.

I live in Los Angeles too and have a 2022 MY Performance which has a harsher ride than long range Y. I test drove all model Y and 3 specs. I find the street quality & material has a giant affect on the tesla ride quality. I also came from a 2023 Volt which as you noted was pretty smooth over the worst streets even. But the Volt is a softer suspension and bobbed up and down more than model Y. To get closer to such a ride you’d need aftermarket adjustable coilovers suspension such as Redwood Motorsport (I might get these), Mountain Pass Performance or Unpmugged Performance. Some people lift the model Y and put on tires with even more sidewall.
I find the stretch of laurel canyon between Hollywood and the valley to be brutal in model Y performance. It is an old & often traveled road and the street material is slabs of concrete which don’t align too well usually. On the flip side many roads in LA result in a very smooth & quiet ride if they are newer.
Do you have the Pirellis or Michelins?

I'm an optimistic guy, always the "glass half full" vs. the "glass half empty."

21k miles, 10k or so on the MPP coilovers. Even with the MPP coilovers, my "glass half full" still spills if I'm not careful.

I should add that the MPPs take the edge off, helps the MY feel more planted, but it does NOT make the suspension as supple as I would like. Seriously wondering if the Ohlins is any better???????
Damn. That makes me want to sell the Y now. I was hoping the MPP is the magic fix.

My MYP 12/2021 build came with Michelin all season tires. No AMD Ryzen powered touchscreen 😪.
First I hate Laurel Canyon. Every car I have ever owned rattles over that except my Lincoln Navigator L because it was huge. Honestly I don't notice not having the AMD, my friend has it a bit faster but not the game changer like I read in the forums. Maybe as the optimize the software for it there will be a big increase.

This is coming from a M3 owner (formerly 21 M3SR+ with the 19" sport wheels and now 22LR with 18" aero wheels) - my 21 MYLR with 20" inductions is the firmest ride (not in a good way) of the bunch. Borderline jarring, there are a lot of things that Tesla is working against (i.e. 45psi pressure, battery pack) but the suspension design on the MY makes it THAT much more harsher compared to the M3.

Not a dealbreaker for me, but I drive the M3 every chance I get because I enjoy the MY that much less.

The dampers are probably at fault for some of the suspension issues, but I think there are other design problems too. Chassis flex. Poorly thought out angles. Bushing choices. I think somebody mentioned there's no subframe for suspension, which most cars will do in the rear, which usually has some big bushings. I'm not sure on that as I haven't looked closely. I just know that the car is unsettled easily.

Reactions: tm1v2
The dampers are probably at fault for some of the suspension issues, but I think there are other design problems too. Chassis flex. Poorly thought out angles. Bushing choices. I think somebody mentioned there's no subframe for suspension, which most cars will do in the rear, which usually has some big bushings. I'm not sure on that as I haven't looked closely. I just know that the car is unsettled easily.
The front is double wishbone, and the rear is multi-link. These are proven, reliable, solid design attributes. It does allow for design choices.
I'm not feeling chassis flex; in fact the construction seems solid, and the battery pack definitely doesn't flex much. I've raced Porsches, I know about chassis flex.

It's a very heavy vehicle, especially for it's wheelbase. Interestingly, it's 7% heavier, with a similar wheelbase to, the Lexus LS400 I had for many years.
The Lexus had air suspension, which rode extremely well but was expensive to fix when the dampers leaked - $1000 per corner....

As I see it, the MY design choice was for responsive handling, which includes a quick steering ratio.
It does that, but at the cost of ride suppleness.

I've put taller tires on smaller wheels (255/55/18) that have 1" more sidewall than 19" OEM, and gained a fair amount of ride smoothness.
But it still can get unsettled more easily than desired. I don't need a racecar, I need a boulevard cruiser with some spirit in reserve.

I've come to conclude that only replacement springs/dampers are capable of solving that equation.
I'm going to solicit some rides from people who have done the upgrade, then decide upon next steps, if any.
It's not too terrible, but can stand improvement. I still have just 700 miles on it (three weeks old).

At 21k miles with 19" OEM ContiPros, 255/45 - 19", MPP coilovers on a very soft setting. I will gladly change to a 255/50 - 19 when these tires are worn out...probably by next autumn. It would be nice to eliminate my main annoyance with the current setup: the stiff sidewalls. I'm not expecting a Lexus ride, just a bit more subtle "slap."

I'd still like to see/hear about a side-by-side comparison of : UPP, MPP, OhlinsKWs.

Reactions: John in LB
The front is double wishbone, and the rear is multi-link. These are proven, reliable, solid design attributes. It does allow for design choices.
I'm not feeling chassis flex; in fact the construction seems solid, and the battery pack definitely doesn't flex much. I've raced Porsches, I know about chassis flex.

It's a very heavy vehicle, especially for it's wheelbase. Interestingly, it's 7% heavier, with a similar wheelbase to, the Lexus LS400 I had for many years.
The Lexus had air suspension, which rode extremely well but was expensive to fix when the dampers leaked - $1000 per corner....

As I see it, the MY design choice was for responsive handling, which includes a quick steering ratio.
It does that, but at the cost of ride suppleness.

I've put taller tires on smaller wheels (255/55/18) that have 1" more sidewall than 19" OEM, and gained a fair amount of ride smoothness.
But it still can get unsettled more easily than desired. I don't need a racecar, I need a boulevard cruiser with some spirit in reserve.

I've come to conclude that only replacement springs/dampers are capable of solving that equation.
I'm going to solicit some rides from people who have done the upgrade, then decide upon next steps, if any.
It's not too terrible, but can stand improvement. I still have just 700 miles on it (three weeks old).
Dang. I was considering 18s for more comfort.

Any pics of that setup?

Dang. I was considering 18s for more comfort.

Any pics of that setup?
see earlier post

• Helpful
Reactions: Noflash