Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Roof flew off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this is real, should we be pushing up on the roof glass to make sure it is sealed? This seriously should be added to the checklist (sadly).

Yeah, I assume they're robot-placed. I just picked my Y up today and it was filthy, so I washed it and you could see the little suction cup imprints on the front, rear, and roof glass.

A Tesla employee commented on this thread and said it is sealed. Take it with a grain of salt.

Reactions: Spacep0d
That is scary! I have a service appointment next week for some minor panel gap issues from delivery so will ask them to check the bond as a precaution.
I expect they will nod their heads and say "sure thing," and maybe even give the roof a cursory glance, but I highly doubt they will do any sort of in depth check of the roof seal unless it removes itself.

Reactions: Lobstahz
Expect the following posts soon by the usual religious zealots:

It didn't happen- fake video
Every car company has defects
If you want perfection.. buy another brand
Why do people post about all the negative things
OP is a troll
Must be a Tesla short seller
If I didn't see it personally, it didn't happen
That's old news dug up to embarrass Tesla
Click bait
Well known Tesla hater
OP should be banned
FUD
Can we get this whole thread deleted?
It only happened on one car
Why worry, Tesla will fix it!

Did I cover pretty much all the fanboi defensive replies?

Last edited:
Most new cars have "off gassing" of the plastic dash, etc, and I definitely had issues with that and suction cup prints showing up. For me just cleaning didn't do the trick and I had to really go at it with an IPA solution (I used Gyeon Prep). I then used Carpro Fog Fight and issue sorted. I don't have a convertible though. ;-)

Interesting sidebar, my 2018 had the rectangles REALLY bad, but my 2020 did not....

Reactions: webbah
Expect the following posts soon by the usual religious zealots:

It didn't happen- fake video
Every car company has defects
If you want perfection.. buy another brand
Why do people post about all the negative things
OP is a troll
Must be a Tesla short seller
If I didn't see it personally, it didn't happen
That's old news dug up to embarrass Tesla
Click bait
Well known Tesla hater
OP should be banned
FUD
Can we get this whole thread deleted?
It only happened on one car
Why worry, Tesla will fix it!

Did I cover pretty much all the fanboi defensive replies?

It's a nice change of pace to visit the Model S forum. The fanboys have all been squashed over there, and they are free to speak the truth about the shortcomings of Teslas.