Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Roof flew off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's scary is that there are probably other Tesla owners driving around without their roof glass being properly bonded, and they may not find out until they are in an accident. When the glass is bonded to the window frames it becomes a structural part of the car that is needed for crash protection.

I would think Tesla uses robots to apply the glue and place the glass. So they probably did something wrong with those robots.

Reactions: 1 person
What's scary is that there are probably other Tesla owners driving around without their roof glass being properly bonded, and they may not find out until they are in an accident. When the glass is bonded to the window frames it becomes a structural part of the car that is needed for crash protection.

I would think Tesla uses robots to apply the glue and place the glass. So they probably did something wrong with those robots.
Yeah.. This may be followed up by an urgent recall of some series of VINs in the same batch.

Yeah, I assume they're robot-placed. I just picked my Y up today and it was filthy, so I washed it and you could see the little suction cup imprints on the front, rear, and roof glass.

Yeah, I assume they're robot-placed. I just picked my Y up today and it was filthy,
so I washed it and you could see the little suction cup imprints on the front, rear, and roof glass.
Yes, those small rectangles are very noticeable when you have some condensation fog.
I would recommend washing the inside of your windshield with a good amount of soap and water.
I can't believe how my windshield was clear there after.
I had to check with my hand if there was still a glass !!!

Yes, those small rectangles are very noticeable when you have some condensation fog.
I would recommend washing the inside of your windshield with a good amount of soap and water.
I can't believe how my windshield was clear there after.
I had to check with my hand if there was still a glass !!!

Most new cars have "off gassing" of the plastic dash, etc, and I definitely had issues with that and suction cup prints showing up. For me just cleaning didn't do the trick and I had to really go at it with an IPA solution (I used Gyeon Prep). I then used Carpro Fog Fight and issue sorted. I don't have a convertible though. ;-)

• Informative
Reactions: gundarx