Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y roof rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was hoping my kayak would fit in the back of my MY, but alas it looks like I will need to purchase the roof rack. Does anyone have experience with this rack? If so, can you share how easy it is to install and remove, as I would prefer not to keep it up between uses. Any other info about your experiences would be appreciated.

I assume this is a pretty short whitewater or sit on top kayak? What about using a hitch mounted cargo carrier if the boat isn't too much longer than the car is wide?

There are a number of threads on mounting the Y rack and some youtube videos as well:

60 x 20 in. 750 lb Steel Hitch-Mount Cargo Carrier | Princess Auto

Edit - Something like this for the cargo carrier usage. He also tests to see if the cable at a supercharger will reach when backing in:

Last edited:
Reactions: Winoramma
The Sylvansport Go Easy is quite a bit more than the roof rack, but is another option. Your standard small utility trailer would work as well, but might be heavier than the Go

GO Easy Adventure Utility Trailers | SylvanSport

This guy towed the larger pop up tent version of Sylvansport trailer with an X from Toronto to Wyoming without consumption or charging issues.

Edit - He also has a folding sit on top kayak he has stored inside the X for that trip. See the 2:35 mark in the video

Best Folding Kayaks Reviewed For 2020 | How To Choose & Build (Oru)

Last edited:
Yep it would be better to carry things inside.
But if you do a sport regularly you don't want to compromise on the kind
of equipment you use. Trailers are big pain to drive with.
Also I am seeing some reviews of Glass Roof Cracking on the Model 3
with this type of J Hook connection for the Roof Rack.
I have heard anything from 15 to 40 percent range reduction with
loading on the racks.

I had mine installed by SC during a visit for another issue. Originally quoted $58 for installation but they did it for free.

I used it to carry MTB for family bike rides.

ED32928D-0F97-4F61-87CF-8A0F920F1E7C.jpeg

To answer the original question, the most difficult part of the installation is finding the two alignment lines and arrows under the glass at each mounting point. First, you install small PPF pads at each location. Then you slide the mounting hooks forward from the rear of the roof glass to get it under the rubber water seal, then you'll feel it engage a metal cleat under the arrow in the glass. Do this X4, mount the racks, tighten down firmly but by hand until they snug down to the roof, then lock and put the caps on.

Removal is the reverse and takes a fraction of the time. One drawback is the SECOND time you want to install them. Unless you left the PPF pieces on the car you will not have them anymore. You'll have to try to find them again (good luck with that!) or make new ones yourself as I did. Otherwise a good rack. It does whistle a bit but I'm sure it's far better than more conventional racks

Reactions: 52 16 57 39
Also I am seeing some reviews of Glass Roof Cracking on the Model 3
with this type of J Hook connection for the Roof Rack.
Resurrecting an older comment, I am curious about this cracking. I don't see how it's possible if one follows the instructions. There are two key components, seating the J clip into the metal receiver under the glass (marked by the arrow in the glass itself) and torquing the nut down using in/lbs instead of ft/lbs. If one doesn't install the hook in the receiver under the glass they will be clamping directly to the glass, and if someone uses ft/lbs instead of in/lbs to torque the nuts they will drive the J hook into the glass. Something like 4 in/lbs is basically very finger tight, and since the rack itself does not touch the glass I just don't see how someone can crack their roof unless they mis-installed or abused the system. I'm ready to stand corrected, but to date I have not seen anything confirming that the glass cracks when the rack is installed correctly.