Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y RWD sound system

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I intend to buy a Tesla Model 3 soon..
And how happy are you with the premium system compared to other cars, how would you rate it?
We have 2022 M3LR which comes with the "premium" audio system. It sounds great, better than previous car (2020 VW Golf with the upgraded audio). No idea how it compares to BMW. If you do go for a Model 3, the base model doesn't (or didn't) include premium audio (no subwoofer etc.). The only way to get that option is to go for Long Range or Performance trim.

I think the audio system in the LR is VERY good, so long as you have a decent source. The low quality streaming via Spotify is really annoying, and a massive oversight IMO. I’ve got a large SSD plugged in the glovebox with lots of FLAC audio on there, and it’s amazing with a decent recording. The Spotify quality annoys the crap out of me though, particularly when I have a premium subscription so get decent quality using it other ways.

Interesting test and discussion done 6 months ago on this reddit post:

The test compared the bitrate of the 3 streaming apps in the Tesla but only when connected via WiFi.

TIDAL was ~1165 Kbps (probably FLAC)
Spotify was ~157 Kbps (using OGG)
Apple Music ~118 Kbps (but likely using HE-AAC)

The tester was not able to test the bitrates over LTE (4G), so there is speculation about reduced bitrates enforced by Tesla when on LTE - e.g. does TIDAL streaming become lossy when actually driving?

Has anyone experienced a subjective difference in the 3 streaming apps when actually driving on LTE.

And/or does it make a difference if hotspotting to a phone (which would be similar to WiFi - if the phone has a good enough signal).

Reactions: Power Hungry
Interesting test and discussion done 6 months ago on this reddit post:

The test compared the bitrate of the 3 streaming apps in the Tesla but only when connected via WiFi.

TIDAL was ~1165 Kbps (probably FLAC)
Spotify was ~157 Kbps (using OGG)
Apple Music ~118 Kbps (but likely using HE-AAC)

The tester was not able to test the bitrates over LTE (4G), so there is speculation about reduced bitrates enforced by Tesla when on LTE - e.g. does TIDAL streaming become lossy when actually driving?

Has anyone experienced a subjective difference in the 3 streaming apps when actually driving on LTE.

And/or does it make a difference if hotspotting to a phone (which would be similar to WiFi - if the phone has a good enough signal).
Firstly thanks for your response.
Ah! In this area I'm a bit of a ludite. So in my mind most connection from (say) iPhone to Tesla would be via Bluetooth which one would assume wouldn't be affected by driving. I realise TIDAL is a far superior streaming service to Spotify but I'm not going to pay $22.50 per month for TIDAL. I use Spotify at home and while it's not great, it's okay enough for my old ears. But will that 'okay' quality be reduced even more in our new Tesla?

I signed up to a 2 month tidal trial for $4, been testing it out and the quality is definitely much better than spotify streaming. Sounds pretty good now, although not sure if its worth the $25 monthly fee once the trial ends...
Thanks. Some have subscribed to TIDAL via VPN through Argentina Tidal Monthly: Hi-Fi Arg$99 (~A$0.76), Hi-Fi Plus Arg$145 (~A$1.11), Family Arg$225 (~A$1.80) @ Tidal Argentina (VPN Required) but when I tried using our NordVPN it said 'TIDAL is not available in your region'?

So are you a Tesla owner? My original question was (basically) is Spotify crap or is it even worse through Tesla sound system?

Thanks. Some have subscribed to TIDAL via VPN through Argentina Tidal Monthly: Hi-Fi Arg$99 (~A$0.76), Hi-Fi Plus Arg$145 (~A$1.11), Family Arg$225 (~A$1.80) @ Tidal Argentina (VPN Required) but when I tried using our NordVPN it said 'TIDAL is not available in your region'?

So are you a Tesla owner? My original question was (basically) is Spotify crap or is it even worse through Tesla sound system?
yes I have a MY. I also have a Volvo with Spotify built in as well as via carplay, in both of those options I can select the quality streaming to High in Spotify settings and it sounds heaps better than the MY.

Reactions: Power Hungry
yes I have a MY. I also have a Volvo with Spotify built in as well as via carplay, in both of those options I can select the quality streaming to High in Spotify settings and it sounds heaps better than the MY.
Bummer! Why can't you adjust sound quality in the Tesla. It seems having a superb sound system in one's car is a waste of time if the worlds most popular music streaming service isn't supported. :(:(:(:(