Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y RWD v Dual Motor version...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I test drove the Model Y Dual motor version at the weekend but I'm looking at leasing the Model Y RWD.
Apart from the acceleration and fog lights (and drive obviously), is there any major difference between driving either ? I don't really want to go back and test drive the RWD version unless I have to.

Thanks

I'd suggest researching the characteristics of the different battery chemistries which will be a big contributing factor to the driving dynamics. I have a Rwd and the regen is often limited due to ambient temp. The lower voltage in the lfp means performance will be lessened in comparison to nmc. There are benefits to the lfp pack but not in the driving dynamics department

Reactions: Js1977
Hi,

I test drove the Model Y Dual motor version at the weekend but I'm looking at leasing the Model Y RWD.
Apart from the acceleration and fog lights (and drive obviously), is there any major difference between driving either ? I don't really want to go back and test drive the RWD version unless I have to.

Thanks
When I test drive the M3 dual motor and RWD they did feel quite different. The single motor felt more agile but the dual was more stable and grown up.
I’ve moved from a M3SR+ (single motor) to a MYLR and it felt like moving from a BMW 3 series to a 5.

Single motor LFP battery chemistry is great and easy to use, just keep plugging it in and charging to 100%. On the dual motor cars you have to think a little about battery care but keeping under 80% most the time.

My M3 was a genuine 180mile winter/250 mile summer car.
The MYLR is a 240 winter/300 summer from what I'm seeing.

I’d seriously consider the extra range if you can afford it. Both are quick (by ICE standards) but the dual motors are fast.