TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model Y Seat Configuration

Discussion in 'Future Cars' started by Loxoli, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Loxoli

Loxoli New Member

Do you think there is any possibility that Model Y will have more than five seats? Or will this be totally unattainable on a crossover/CUV/smaller Model X platform?

• Like x 1
  2. pr0teu5

pr0teu5 Member

This is a question that I've thought about as well. Since it was confirmed that the Model Y would have falcon wing door I assume it will have more than 2 rows of seats. It could be the case that the vehicle only has falcon wing doors and no front doors, but somehow I doubt it.

3. vortexz

vortexz Member

It will only have 2 falcon wing doors(larger ones) instead of 4 doors.
    Reduces costs

• Like x 1
  4. pr0teu5

pr0teu5 Member

I've heard this argument before and I find it unlikely. There's really no reason for it when you think about it. If you wanted to cut cost surely the correct decision would be to have 4 non-falcon wing doors. A 2 row layout with 2 falcon wing doors just seems cumbersome and pointless for an suv with room for 4 normal doors.

5. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

My take: I believe the first Ys will have traditional doors and seat 5 people with a folding second row. Y 2.0 will have the option of FWDs.
    While in the years to come the FWDs may be made fool proof, in a more economical CUV traditional doors would be less expensive and have less potential for issues.

6. Blackout

Blackout Member

It should really be 5 seater, no falcon wing doors and everything else Tesla currently offer on their car with the biohazard weapon as an option... Selling for 10k more than model 3 and that's it...
    Simple... The could even build it on the same chassis as the M3 just like the X was for model S...

7. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I would be very surprised if the Model Y has more than 5 seats. The Model X is barely big enough to host three full rows - and the third row is rather cramped, with very little space behind it. The only way a smaller car could possibly manage a third row is by giving up the rear taper/hatch - but that'd presumably mean a whole lot more drag - and it'd still be very cramped.

8. Laban

Laban Member

I would love a 6 seat configuration for the Y..The 3'rd row would probably be more of a children only thing but i don't see a problem with that.

But as you say, they would probably have to make it more of a regular hatchback with a flatter roof to be able to fit a third row, and get the added drag that you get by doing that. It doesn't need to be that dramatic though, Audi A4 Sedan = 0.23, A4 Avant (station wagon) = 0.26.