Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y should be $6500 cheaper in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MY SR is listed at $56290 which is a better spread for USD than the LR.
A better "deal" for Canadians getting the SR compared to LR if that's your preference.
Maybe they will drop the price of the LR.

I think the Canadian price of the SR Y was influenced by the Federal rebate program. Before delivery and fees, it's priced at $54,900, just under the maximum limit for the rebate. I'm almost certain that Tesla will introduce a crippled Model Y with 150km range at $44,999 like they did with the Model 3 to make the SR model eligible for the $5,000 rebate.

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: cdswm3 and McFlurri
I think the Canadian price of the SR Y was influenced by the Federal rebate program. Before delivery and fees, it's priced at $54,900, just under the maximum limit for the rebate. I'm almost certain that Tesla will introduce a crippled Model Y with 150km range at $44,999 like they did with the Model 3 to make the SR model eligible for the $5,000 rebate.

I really hope Tesla does this. Like... really really hope..

I didn't realize that the price included PDI, ac tax, etc. Yes, that makes sense. $20k cheaper will sell a lot of cars even with the reduced range.

That is the current price because FSD beta is not released in Canada yet.

Once it is, FSD will go above $13,000
Every year the then outrageous $6600 I paid for FSD in May 2019 seems a little less outrageous. The only thing I can fault FSD for since I knew then it was beta work in progress and it still is but that Tesla and the re-sale market don't value the feature. At the upcoming $13000 price you are really screwed buying into it and then trying to re-sell or trade-in you car. You need to be seriously married to your Tesla in the long run if you invest that kind of money in FSD. Once it is L4 or L5 autonomy then it will sell well to recoup initial FSD buy in.

Reactions: cdswm3
Every year the then outrageous $6600 I paid for FSD in May 2019 seems a little less outrageous. The only thing I can fault FSD for since I knew then it was beta work in progress and it still is but that Tesla and the re-sale market don't value the feature. At the upcoming $13000 price you are really screwed buying into it and then trying to re-sell or trade-in you car. You need to be seriously married to your Tesla in the long run if you invest that kind of money in FSD. Once it is L4 or L5 autonomy then it will sell well to recoup initial FSD buy in.
Agreed. I'm glad i got the FSD upgrade when it was $2600.. i am a big fan of Tesla, but whenever someone asks me if they should get FSD i have to be honest with them. At over $10,000 (and soon over $13,000)... i can't justify it. I would not have purchased FSD at that price.

You clearly do not get much resale value for FSD. Just look at all the cars for sale on Tesla's website. They just throw in FSD on all their cars.

Reactions: cdswm3 and Tony_YYZ
Where the Y is a seven seater, in theory they shouldn’t need to be below 45k like the 3 did.
As has been said in another thread, the “Pacifica” exemption should apply here, we just have to wait and see if govt approves its addition to the list.

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3 and rypalmer
Where the Y is a seven seater, in theory they shouldn’t need to be below 45k like the 3 did.
As has been said in another thread, the “Pacifica” exemption should apply here, we just have to wait and see if govt approves its addition to the list.

The base model would have to be a 7 seater for the "Pacifica rule" to apply.

"A vehicle with seven seats or greater, where the base model Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) is less than $55,000;
  • higher priced versions (trims) of these vehicles, up to a maximum Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $60,000, will also be eligible for purchase incentives;"

• Disagree
Reactions: Murky-Article
I'm personally waiting on the sidelines until Tesla readjusts their pricing, i would recommend all to do the same and communicate this to Tesla

For example:
Ford Mach E Base- CAD MSRP $50,495, USD $42,895 (both excl freight and PDI)
Tesla Y RWD - CAD $54,900, USD $41,900 (both excl freight and PDI)

Based on this there is no reason why Tesla can't offer the base 7 seater for CAD$54,990 and take advantage of the $5k "Pacifica" rebate

Also there is no other auto manufacturer with such a discrepancy between USD/CAD
For example our current "other" car is a BMW X3

CAD$ MRSP $52,550 - USD $48,440 (for US Model Xdrive $45,000 add 19" wheel, leather heated steering wheel + heated seats, park distance sensors - not standard in base US spec model included in Canadian model as standard)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Vawlkus and cdswm3
The base model would have to be a 7 seater for the "Pacifica rule" to apply.

"A vehicle with seven seats or greater, where the base model Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) is less than $55,000;
  • higher priced versions (trims) of these vehicles, up to a maximum Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $60,000, will also be eligible for purchase incentives;"
By the letter of it, the Y would fit the bill for this.

Again, we have to wait and see if it gets govt approval.

• Disagree
Its more accurate to show the price with destination included as that is what is listed on the CDN web site.
The exchange rate is fine because right now it's 1.27. I don't expect Tesla to use that and lose money if it goes up.
They need to have a buffer

Yes but the US site does not have destination included... just trying to compare apple and apples here

And no - they don't need a "buffer", I work in industrial distribution, we have a lot of US Dollar inventory (like billions$) we don't buffer, we hedge the risk

And no - they don't need a "buffer", I work in industrial distribution, we have a lot of US Dollar inventory (like billions$) we don't buffer, we hedge the risk

This is probably because you are in a price-sensitive industry, and sales would go down if you didn't use the most competitive exchange possible.

Tesla quickly sells every last vehicle they can manufacture, they don't need to take any risk at all when they can just sell at a higher price. If they had to assume any forex risk, they would simply not sell in Canada; they could sell all the cars they make for North America solely in the USA if they wanted to.