Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y should be $6500 cheaper in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
iPace is a flop, they can't give them away, even with up to $20k incentives. I think Jaguar are taking a bath on iPace. I don't think "it will go away", but they do definitely need to improve it ... like in a hurry. The future is Electric, especially in the premium segment. They better figure this one out, or just like the real Jaguar - they will be an endangered species
I think this shows how difficult it will be for legacy automakers to compete in EV space, no real market traction with Audi or Mercedes either... but Taycan is a sweet one, only saw one in the wild, nice beast

Reactions: cdswm3 and McFlurri
iPace is a flop, they can't give them away, even with up to $20k incentives. I think Jaguar are taking a bath on iPace. I don't think "it will go away", but they do definitely need to improve it ... like in a hurry. The future is Electric, especially in the premium segment. They better figure this one out, or just like the real Jaguar - they will be an endangered species
I think this shows how difficult it will be for legacy automakers to compete in EV space, no real market traction with Audi or Mercedes either... but Taycan is a sweet one, only saw one in the wild, nice beast

The Ipace is a nice crossover. It has great styling and very good EV but the market has no appetite for it. Not sure why but it does show that just producing a good EV does not equal sales. It will be interesting how long it takes for the general population to really buy an EV. There are still issues to deal with for many. I can see supply increasing fasted than demand and that is not good. Imagine working for Jaguar and trying to convince them to spend more money on EV's.

• Disagree
Reactions: Murky-Article
The Ipace is a nice crossover. It has great styling and very good EV but the market has no appetite for it. Not sure why but it does show that just producing a good EV does not equal sales. It will be interesting how long it takes for the general population to really buy an EV. There are still issues to deal with for many. I can see supply increasing fasted than demand and that is not good. Imagine working for Jaguar and trying to convince them to spend more money on EV's.
I know why!

It is WAY too expensive

• Love
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Well....It sure looks like we are getting hosed for the model S and X refresh. I was hoping the new pricing would bring us a lot closer - nope.

Model S long range: $CDN $114,990 $US $79,990 = 1.43 or .696
Model X long range: $CDN $124,990 $US $89,990 = 1.39 or .72

Both show a $10,000 increase - doesn't make sense
Note $CDN to $US today = 1.28 or .781

So, allowing for a few % points, pricing "should" be closer to

S: $105,459 (1.28 X 1.03 X 79,990)
X: $118,990 (1.28 X 1.03 X 89,990)

Ugh

I was very tempted by the old price, new price not so much. It’s basically back to pricing from 4 years ago when I was looking for a new vehicle.

Still have my tri-motor cybertruck reservation, but I’m thinking I’ll keep my fisker ocean reservation also.

IMO we are more likely to see progress in the upcoming federal budget..

When is the new Fed Budget announced?

I'm debating delaying my delivery for SR. I was hoping they would do the $45k base config to qualify, but the challenge remains with the actual purchase price (I think), since if you add options (rims, tow hitch, colours, etc.) then you go over the $55k limit. Or is that not the case?
This could be a major missed opportunity. Tesla, please figure this out.

And if the LR RWD comes out for a decent price then I would really be sad.

When is the new Fed Budget announced?

Generally budgets are tabled in March before the next fiscal year starts in April. The government didn't really do one last year because of the emergence of COVID, but this year looks like it's going to happen. Departments are in the process of discussing their proposals with the Department of Finance, whose Minister will decide what's in and what's out of the budget (often in consultation with the PM).

Just because something is in the budget doesn't mean that it comes into effect immediately either. The departments that will run the programs need to make a submission to Treasury Board and show how they will spend the funds before any money is released. That can go into the summer or fall.

That being said, Transport Canada still has money in the iZEV program, and cold just modify the terms of the program to change the eligibility criteria without immediately requiring a budget commitment or Treasury Board approval. The budget could simply be a top-up of funding to keep it going for longer.

Anyways, lots of ways this could go, and it doesn't mean anything will happen immediately post-budget. And yes, if you're wondering, I'm a senior bureaucrat in Ottawa, and I've gone through this process a few times :)

If anything the maximum price level will fall. The idea is to help low cost EV's enter the market. Those of us who can afford Tesla's and other high price EV's do not need incentives.
That is completely not true.

The only reason I have my model 3 is SOLELY due to the old Ontario $14,000 rebate. Without it there would be no way I could afford the car. It's already right at the top most affordability for me.

Tax payers should not be paying for incentives on expensive cars. I support low cost EV incentives to make the technology available to the mass market and encourage automakers to make affordable EV's but not for higher cost EV's.
Until all externalities are accounted for with internal combustion vehicles, rebates will be needed. And since range is proportional to cost, the cars that get driven the most will probably also be the most expensive. Get over it.

Until all externalities are accounted for with internal combustion vehicles, rebates will be needed. And since range is proportional to cost, the cars that get driven the most will probably also be the most expensive. Get over it.

With our current economic status that will soon be a major factor in budget decisions, giving incentives to those wealthy enough to afford expensive cars will need to eliminated. Governments who make that a priority will find themselves as an opposition party. There will have to be sacrifices made. This is an easy one.

With our current economic status that will soon be a major factor in budget decisions, giving incentives to those wealthy enough to afford expensive cars will need to eliminated. Governments who make that a priority will find themselves as an opposition party. There will have to be sacrifices made. This is an easy one.
We have climate objectives to meet as well.

Almost all EV purchasers will see the rebate as an encouragement to buy. There are very few who will ignore the incentive, they are the ones for whom the rebate is irrelevant. So it's a simple question - do you want to encourage people to buy EVs? If you are going to do that with rebates on the purchase price, the rebate should be applied to all of them, regardless of cost. If you want to put a price ceiling on it, make it quite high, maybe $200K.

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3 and sckor
I’m willing to forego incentives because the M3P is already price-competitive with its ICE counterparts such as the Audi RS3 and BMW M3. But that’s a small part of the market.

What we really need to fight climate change is for a vehicle like an electric Hyundai Kona to cost the same as its gasoline counterpart. Even the most generous rebates in Canada (in Quebec) don’t get there. The entry-level market will be a tough one to crack for EVs.

Reactions: cdswm3