Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y should be $6500 cheaper in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn't it true that cars sold in Canada have to be built to a different and higher standard than those sold in Europe and the US? I understood that the wiring, lighting, loading, undercoating etc. all had to be to a higher standard. Is this government regulation at least part of the reason for the higher cost??

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3

What about: U.S., Canada and EU certification: What’s the difference?

from Gerald Zucker:

Quite a few. For decades, Canadian cars have had heftier starting systems, including bigger batteries, and often more powerful starter motors and/or alternators, to deal with the difficulties of winter starting. In a similar vein, as far as I know all cars sold in Canada are equipped with block heaters, the electric plug you see hanging out the front of their grills. (These are available in the US as well, any mechanic can install them, but I haven’t seen any; maybe they’re common in the real frostbelt states). Many models have standard heated outside mirrors and enhanced windshield washer systems. And of course, since Canada went metric, speedometers and fuel measurements are in metric. Paint color options are often different between the two countries.

Government standards are different between the two countries. Daytime running lights have been required on Canadian cars for many years. Canadian Pintos were required to be equipped with a polyethylene slab between the gas tank and the rear axle, eliminating the possibility of explosion in mild rear end impacts which became so famous in the US, ending in a recall of US Pintos to install the same equipment in them.

Various models and trim levels are different between the two countries. Ford used to sell Frontenacs, Monarchs and Meteors in Canada, lines not available in the US, and the Mercury Bobcat, a version of the Pinto. Pontiac used to sell the Parisienne, a version of the Bonneville, but also relied heavily on Chevrolet models, selling the Astre, a version of the Vega, the Acadian, a version of the Chevy II, and the Beaumont, a version of the Chevelle; in addition, Canadian Pontiac used Chevrolet engines, so that while the Pontiac OHC six wasn’t available, on the other hand Canadian GTOs came with Chevrolet 396 engines.

Canada also imported cars the US didn’t, so there were Russian Ladas, basically a Fiat 124, as well as French Renault 4CV, British Morris Minors, German NSUs, Czech Skodas, etc.

In the recent era, there are still many models in Canada not seen in the US; the Buick Allure, basically a LaCrosse, the Acura CSX, ISX,and EL, BMW 320i, VW Eurovan, Mazda 5, Kia Rondo, Nissan Micra, Mercedes B-class, Mitsubishi Lancer hatchback, 4 seater Smart car, Hyundai Pony, all sorts of little GM cars from the Far East with Chevrolet badges, US Civic DX is Canadian LX, US LX is Canadian EX, US EX is Canadian Si, US Si is the Canadian SiR; Canada also has Civic CX, and the equipment specs for the similar model are different between the two countries.

On the other hand, I’m sure there are also many many low-production makes found in the US not imported into Canada because the lower population there wouldn’t make it worthwhile.

• Disagree
Your not overpaying. The price is the price.
You don't seem to understand how currencies or grammar work. If the good is manufactured in the US and is ultimately priced in USD (because the majority of their inputs are priced in USD), and the USD weakens, the price of that good in other currencies should decrease. Assuming a competitive marketplace where other market players are able to do the same. And it's "you're" short for "you are".

The North American EV market is not really a competitive marketplace at this time. Tesla has the technological lead by a wide margin.

Would you consider another vehicle because the Model 3 LR is $65k rather than $60k? Probably not. Because there is no real competition.
I'm not really a representative sample. I've already chosen Tesla once, and will probably do it again, because our values seem to align better than others, and because I value the fast charging network higher than others probably do. Which model and trim I buy will be influenced by CAD price. I expect other buyers to be less biased and more price sensitive, though, and will cross-shop Model Y with Mach-E, VW ID3/ID4, plug-in hybrids, etc. Perhaps some of these are in short supply today, but may be available for those willing to wait a few quarters. Bottom line: price does matter to most people, even if the real competition is a few quarters away.

• Disagree
I'm not really a representative sample. I've already chosen Tesla once, and will probably do it again, because our values seem to align better than others, and because I value the fast charging network higher than others probably do. Which model and trim I buy will be influenced by CAD price. I expect other buyers to be less biased and more price sensitive, though, and will cross-shop Model Y with Mach-E, VW ID3/ID4, plug-in hybrids, etc. Perhaps some of these are in short supply today, but may be available for those willing to wait a few quarters. Bottom line: price does matter to most people, even if the real competition is a few quarters away.

Supply and demand. As long as demand exceeds supply, there is no need to lower prices. Producing the SR model Y is all that was needed at this point. Now in a few quarters when there is competition that may change.

• Disagree
Reactions: Murky-Article
There are lots of people who will not consider a Tesla, and stick with VW or Ford etc... Multiple reasons including perceived quality issues, familiarity of design (esp interior), local service, negative views of Elon Musk and fan-boys etc....
VW and Ford will do well, not sure they will actually record any profits from these vehicles tho...

There are lots of people who will not consider a Tesla, and stick with VW or Ford etc... Multiple reasons including perceived quality issues, familiarity of design (esp interior), local service, negative views of Elon Musk and fan-boys etc....
VW and Ford will do well, not sure they will actually record any profits from these vehicles tho...

I can see some real discounts on full EV's in a year or two. I think supply will be much higher than demand at this time. Jaguar has had a tough time with the Ipace and there is talk it may me dropped.

• Disagree
Reactions: Murky-Article
I am not really surprised if legacy players drop out of the EV race altogether until a more cost-efficient solution comes along.

For years ICE makers had spent their resources on... well... ICEs while leaving the remaining puzzle to their OEM/ODM partners to make.

Think of them as Foxconn but putting together cars instead of phones and instead of a pureplay assembler, they design and make the product, while taking many parts from 3rd parties.

Their core technology is meaningless when it comes to EV, and at the same time, they'd need to maintain all their ICE supply/assembly lines. Kinda a candle burning on both ends. And their OEM/ODM partners can't help them much to lower the cost as they are still very much ICE heavy.