Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Snow Tires Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually 245/50-19 is just over half an inch taller than stock. That might fit, but the issue is they aren't going to fit on the 9.5" wide rims. 255s are already stretched on these rims, 245s just aren't wide enough.

As far as Winda tires, personally I'd stay clear. There's just no reason to buy a very suspect tire when there are so many outstanding choices. Cost really isn't an issue either. The Vredestein Wintrac Pro is an outstanding tire that is also low priced compared to others. There other choices too. Hakkapeliitta, Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli.

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumfer. Revs/Mile Difference
255/50-19 5.0in 14.5in 29.0in 91.2in 695 0.0%
245/50-19 4.8in 14.3in 28.6in 90.0in 704 -1.4%

You are correct about the width issue. The stock 9.5" wide rims are an issue, so you will need 8.5" rims for a 245/50-19. Assuming one fits.

Actually 245/50-19 is just over half an inch taller than stock. That might fit, but the issue is they aren't going to fit on the 9.5" wide rims. 255s are already stretched on these rims, 245s just aren't wide enough.

As far as Winda tires, personally I'd stay clear. There's just no reason to buy a very suspect tire when there are so many outstanding choices. Cost really isn't an issue either. The Vredestein Wintrac Pro is an outstanding tire that is also low priced compared to others. There other choices too. Hakkapeliitta, Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli.
I had my original post deleted as the information was going to cause confusion due to 9.5" width issue.

Hello everyone,

While I wait for my MY to be delivered, I am looking into Winter/Snow tires. I will use my MY on snow on mountain roads every year. Local regulations require to have winter tires on from Nov 15 to April 15 (if you go on mountain areas, as I normally do in winter). Performance on snow and in rain are very important to me. I won't do that many kms on them, but when I do, I need my tires to be as good as possible in such weather conditions. So, no all-seasons tires for me.

I read this entire thread, and it looks like the options people seem to like are:

Mihcelin X-ice
Continental VikingContact 7 104T
Vredestein Wintrac Pro 104V
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV
Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3

Considering snow-rain performance is my number 1 requirement, do you guys have any recommendations?

Thank you very much! This is a very helpful thread! :)

... I forgot to mention that I am looking for tires only, to be mounted on Model Y 19" Gemini Wheels.

So, it looks like the Continental Conti-WinterContact TS850P (correct size and speed code) are the only ones I can find here that come with
- B rating for snow and rain
- rim protection
- strengthened sidewall

... which are three parameters I care about.

I am still only checking on line, but usually you won't find more if you go to your favorite in-person tire-shop here in Rome.

Reactions: Tedkidd
Nokian Hakka 10's studded for me. 255 45 19 on some used Gemini's. I expect them to be loud, but I've heard mixed reviews on the MY AWD system and want the best tires I can get. I hunt and my driveway is very steep. I have a set of studded Hakka's on my wife's Jeep and love them. They're great on ice and snow, but they are loud.

Nokian Hakka 10's studded for me. 255 45 19 on some used Gemini's. I expect them to be loud, but I've heard mixed reviews on the MY AWD system and want the best tires I can get. I hunt and my driveway is very steep. I have a set of studded Hakka's on my wife's Jeep and love them. They're great on ice and snow, but they are loud.
I have the studded hakka 9's last fall for my 3 from discounttiredirect.com
They're a pretty significant handling sacrifice and NOISY, definitely great in snow.

These cars are amazing on fresh all seasons. Last winter My SR Y was great with only RWD

Just ordered some Gemini's, leaning toward the Vredesteins for the MYP (replaced SRY) as I'd like better handling and more quiet ride.

Thank you everyone. This is super useful.
From Nov to April I'll drive my Model Y on several dry roads, also.
I have a house in the mountains where I go on weekends, and where, occasionally, I spend longer periods of time. When not there, I'll be driving my MY on dry roads (city and highway). So, studded tires are not an option for me.
But, I'll look into the non-studded Nokian. I don't mind increasing noise or consumption in favor of safety on snowy roads.

Would that be okay for an all season? I live in Minnesota and don't have much space to store tires.
Yes. Lots of people on this forum have used them and liked them. Just like the Crossclimate 2, it is in the "grand touring" tire category, so if you are used to summer tires or ultra high performance all season tires, you may find the grip lacking. Likewise, it isn't going to handle snow as well as a full on winter tire, but it should do at least as well (and probably better) than most all season tires without the three-peak mountain snowflake symbol.

Yes. Lots of people on this forum have used them and liked them. Just like the Crossclimate 2, it is in the "grand touring" tire category, so if you are used to summer tires or ultra high performance all season tires, you may find the grip lacking. Likewise, it isn't going to handle snow as well as a full on winter tire, but it should do at least as well (and probably better) than most all season tires without the three-peak mountain snowflake symbol.
Sweet, would be going from the 19's to 20's cause any issues?

This may sound silly but I have a MYP and a MYLR I want to use the 20" induction wheels from my MYLR for my MYP for winter set up. Can I do a staggered setup with 255 40 20 front and 275 40 20 rear without rubbing issues. Wheel specs as you know are +40 20x9.5 thank you

Sweet, would be going from the 19's to 20's cause any issues?
There is no issue running 18", 19", 20" 21", or greater wheels (assuming the wheels have sufficient load rating and fit the Y) if the corresponding tire size you put on that wheel is roughly equivalent to the stock 28" diameter. 255/50R18, 255/45R19, 255/40R20, and 255/35R21 are all 28" in diameter and all 10" in width. There are other sizes you can run that are close to 28" that may have your speedometer off by a negligible amount. This is good site for understanding tire sizes:

It looks like Hakkas are not available here in Italy. My guess it that there's an assumption that weather here is milder than in other places, which is a bit silly as there's so many mountains and very snowy locations in the country. Oh well.

The Bridgestore Blizzak LM005 seem to be the next best in terms of snow/rain grip: those are the only ones I can find with an A rating. All others are B (or lower).
Now, Hankook Winter I-Cept Evo3 have a B rating, still very good, but they are also Run-flat, which I would not mind.

Finally, every on-line vendor I am checking, has a separate dedicated class of tires for SUV. The only SUV tire I can find is the Conti I mentioned above. But, I can't understand what are the technical features that would make a tire "SUV" rather than not.
Size, load index, speed index, reinforced sides, rim protection, and rain/snow grip index are all separated, dedicated parameters. So, What is left? What would make a tire a "SUV" tire? For example, why the Conti is listed among the "SUV" tires, while the Bridgestoen Blizzak is not?! It makes little sense to me.