Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Snow Tires Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to my GPS, my MY speedometer reads 65 when I'm going 63.5. 29" tires would make this 65.7. For my car, 29" tires would result in the speedometer becoming more accurate.
Not sure I would trust the GPS for speed.
Someone will have to take the plunge to find out what can and cannot fit. You increase vehicle height by 1/2”, and rubbing is a possibility, but seems unlikely.

Last edited:
Thanks for sending the link over. Only reason for me to go with 255/50/19 is due to tire availability. I'm considering a Nokain all-weather tire that does not come in 255/45/19 but does come in 255/50/19.

Or I can "upsize" and go with 245/45/20 which local tire shop says will fit.
I have the P with W rated tires. The winters are also W rated. Not sure if you have considered the speed rating. In the Toronto area, 90% of our winter driving is on dry roads, same as summer, so I will not sacrifice on handling.
Unfortunately, the 20” winter set of tires costs more then the summer set... (michelin PA5, sottozero 3)
What is the speed rating of the tires on the long range?

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Thanks for sending the link over. Only reason for me to go with 255/50/19 is due to tire availability. I'm considering a Nokain all-weather tire that does not come in 255/45/19 but does come in 255/50/19.

I can relate to this, I was trying to find an all-weather tire that would fit my 19" Geminis, but none of the recommended tire sizes on the Model Y were available for the Nokian all-weather tires.

I ran through this comparator - https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator

The best options are:

225/50R19 - - 27.86" -0.63%
285/40R19 9.50in 11.00in 27.98" -0.21%
235/50R19 6.50in 8.50in 28.25" 0.77%
295/40R19 - - 28.29" 0.91%

But if you look at the Nokian website for 19" wheels, there is only

225/55R19
235/50R19
235/55R19
245/55R19
255/50R19
255/55R19

So ideally the smallest variation would come from the -0.21% via the 285/40R19, but Nokian doesn't have that size so the next best fit is 235/50R19, with a 0.77% variation. Basically that would mean for every 10,000 miles, you'd be off by 77 miles on the speedometer.

• Helpful

I did a check on the tire sizes you mentioned - https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator/255-45R19/255-50R19/245-45R20?ismetric=False

The variance seems too big for both
255/50R19 has a variance of -3.46%
245/45R20 has a variance of 2.30%

I'm no expert, but personally I'd avoid those options.

• Helpful
Something to consider when buying aftermarket wheels. The rotor positioning screw protrudes. The Tesla wheels are designed to make a space for the screw head. This becomes an obstacle and I’m assuming can be removed if your new wheels don’t have a cut out for the screw.

7853E519-2D32-4F43-9C09-6D38F7D459E7.jpeg

I have the P with W rated tires. The winters are also W rated. Not sure if you have considered the speed rating. In the Toronto area, 90% of our winter driving is on dry roads, same as summer, so I will not sacrifice on handling.
Unfortunately, the 20” winter set of tires costs more then the summer set... (michelin PA5, sottozero 3)
What is the speed rating of the tires on the long range?

I haven't picked up the vehicle yet, but I believe they are W rated.

No, I did not consider the speed rating as the ones I'm thinking of replacing the stock tire with are V rates which are sufficient. I won't be tracking and do not plan on going over 140 km/h (if that).

Can you elaborate on whether W-rated tires are required and needed?

I haven't picked up the vehicle yet, but I believe they are W rated.

No, I did not consider the speed rating as the ones I'm thinking of replacing the stock tire with are V rates which are sufficient. I won't be tracking and do not plan on going over 140 km/h (if that).

Can you elaborate on whether W-rated tires are required and needed?
Are you getting the performance model?
V is rated for 240km/h so its close enough, if available its only a bit more to get W. The car is quite fast, handles very well, and track mode was promised for it. You likely get more snow in Edmonton, so pick whatever you like. H is quite a reduced rating.

A guy above is talking about 285mm tires, only looking at wheel diameter... thats super wide and will not sit well on a gemini wheel, decrease range also.

Are you getting the performance model?
V is rated for 240km/h so its close enough, if available its only a bit more to get W. The car is quite fast, handles very well, and track mode was promised for it. You likely get more snow in Edmonton, so pick whatever you like. H is quite a reduced rating.

A guy above is talking about 285mm tires, only looking at wheel diameter... thats super wide and will not sit well on a gemini wheel, decrease range also.

Yes, I'm getting the performance with the 21" rims. I've had an excellent experience with the Nokian WRG4 all-weather tires without me having to switch every season. So I want to get these tires, but they do not come in 255/45/19 or 255/40/20 sizes.

I'm leaning towards getting 255/50/19 but not sure if they will fit with after-market Replika rims, though not sure if they will clear the brakes/suspension or if they will rub.

Some folks aren't recommending this approach but I am not sure.

Here are your options for Tesla Model Y tires, per page 182 of the Tesla Model Y manual.
I would stick with either a 19" or 20" winter tire set instead of trying to get a staggered set of winter 21"'s, which will be quite expensive.

I'm leaning towards the 19" but am curious if 245/50/19 would fit (it's a tad bit larger than OEM size which would throw off the speedometer).

Yes, I'm getting the performance with the 21" rims. I've had an excellent experience with the Nokian WRG4 all-weather tires without me having to switch every season. So I want to get these tires, but they do not come in 255/45/19 or 255/40/20 sizes.

I'm leaning towards getting 255/50/19 but not sure if they will fit with after-market Replika rims, though not sure if they will clear the brakes/suspension or if they will rub.

Some folks aren't recommending this approach but I am not sure.

ok, I see, you don’t plan to use the 21” wheels at all. Yes it’s annoying to switch the wheels, but I got use to it demanding the best performance all the time. Michelins offer a 50,000km tread wear warranty for summer and winter. Pirellis’ have no warranty for either, my guess its less then 50,000km. I went with tsportline 20” tsv, the look like the ubers, and have a nice offset so the car will keep ots muscular stance for the winter. It’s a personal opinion, but the 21” wheels, with a bigger offset, slightly lowered suspension, look awesome to me. The long ramge doesn’t look as aggressive, and the offset pushes the wheel too far into the wheel well for my liking.

why not just find someone locally to swap wheels with, for the 19 or 20”, i’m sure you wont have to look hard for the trade.

• Informative
ok, I see, you don’t plan to use the 21” wheels at all. Yes it’s annoying to switch the wheels, but I got use to it demanding the best performance all the time. Michelins offer a 50,000km tread wear warranty for summer and winter. Pirellis’ have no warranty for either, my guess its less then 50,000km. I went with tsportline 20” tsv, the look like the ubers, and have a nice offset so the car will keep ots muscular stance for the winter. It’s a personal opinion, but the 21” wheels, with a bigger offset, slightly lowered suspension, look awesome to me. The long ramge doesn’t look as aggressive, and the offset pushes the wheel too far into the wheel well for my liking.

why not just find someone locally to swap wheels with, for the 19 or 20”, i’m sure you wont have to look hard for the trade.

Stock 19" or 20" rims also won't fit the tires that Nokian comes in. LOL.

I'd rather go good quality after market rims anyways. Local tire says 255/50/19 would fit and clear. But speedo will be off and it may screw around with traction control etc.

Stock 19" or 20" rims also won't fit the tires that Nokian comes in. LOL.

I'd rather go good quality after market rims anyways. Local tire says 255/50/19 would fit and clear. But speedo will be off and it may screw around with traction control etc.
Those Nokian’s must have saved your life! You are really set on the brand and model. I could care less for the brand, so long as its premium and OEM on high end cars, which both Pirelli and Michelin are.

I can relate to this, I was trying to find an all-weather tire that would fit my 19" Geminis, but none of the recommended tire sizes on the Model Y were available for the Nokian all-weather tires.

I ran through this comparator - https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator

The best options are:

225/50R19 - - 27.86" -0.63%
285/40R19 9.50in 11.00in 27.98" -0.21%
235/50R19 6.50in 8.50in 28.25" 0.77%
295/40R19 - - 28.29" 0.91%

But if you look at the Nokian website for 19" wheels, there is only

225/55R19
235/50R19
235/55R19
245/55R19
255/50R19
255/55R19

So ideally the smallest variation would come from the -0.21% via the 285/40R19, but Nokian doesn't have that size so the next best fit is 235/50R19, with a 0.77% variation. Basically that would mean for every 10,000 miles, you'd be off by 77 miles on the speedometer.

My post isn't just for winter tires but all tires for the Model Y. Please keep in mind that the stock gemini AND induction wheels are 9.5" wide. I don't know why tesla used such obscure wheel and tire sizes but its rather frustrating....

255, or 245 is about the most narrow tire you should be running on a 9.5" You can't just look at the diameter vs stock... you also need to consider these wide wheels that tesla is using. That DRASTICALLY limits your options.

Considering the stock induction wheels which are 20x9.5; - you either can run 255/40/20 like the stock tires, and have a crap selection of expensive tire options, or you can run a 245/45/20 and have many more tire options - this is going to have a bigger diameter than stock, but should fit. You could also try to run a 245/40/20 which is a little smaller than stock diameter but the problem is that the load rating of 245/40 tires are all under the model Y's spec - so you're screwed in that size (don't use that). Almost worse is if you get tsportline 20" wheels which are all 10" wide, compared to 9.5 stock. Then you even eliminate 245/45/20, but I guess could try to run a 265/35 tire but wtf....

Again - I'm not sure why they used these sizes, particularly because teslas go through tires at a MUCH faster rate than normal cars. Hopefully more manufacturers cater to the stock tire sizes.

• Informative
255, or 245 is about the most narrow tire you should be running on a 9.5" You can't just look at the diameter vs stock... you also need to consider these wide wheels that tesla is using. That DRASTICALLY limits your options.

Thanks! That’s good to know, and agreed that it definitely limits the options. It’s been frustrating how limited the options are for the Model Y because of the tire width requirement.

Hi, Just wondering if anyone has tried putting the 245/50R19 on the Gemini wheels? Do they fit? I know it affects the speedometer. Also, I live in the GTA know a good place to get winter tires for the Model Y. I was recommended Winda brand any try these?

Hi, Just wondering if anyone has tried putting the 245/50R19 on the Gemini wheels? Do they fit? I know it affects the speedometer. Also, I live in the GTA know a good place to get winter tires for the Model Y. I was recommended Winda brand any try these?

Yes you can. It is smaller by -1.4% than the stock 19" tires, but that is acceptable. Please do not buy Chinese tires.

Actually 245/50-19 is just over half an inch taller than stock. That might fit, but the issue is they aren't going to fit on the 9.5" wide rims. 255s are already stretched on these rims, 245s just aren't wide enough.

As far as Winda tires, personally I'd stay clear. There's just no reason to buy a very suspect tire when there are so many outstanding choices. Cost really isn't an issue either. The Vredestein Wintrac Pro is an outstanding tire that is also low priced compared to others. There other choices too. Hakkapeliitta, Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli.