Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Spoilers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi has anybody been successful in applying an aftermarket spoiler i have tried two now from the same manufacturer that have come loose or don't stick down properly. They are real carbon at cost a fair amount seems like the sticky isnt good enough

Has anybody purchased any other brands that actually stick down properly

Turning into a nightmare i might not bother just wondered if anybody else had similar issues

Probably crap tape, use 3M VHB tape, and make sure to thoroughly clean the boot and spoiler surfaces before applying the tape, then apply tape primer like 3M Primer 94 to both surfaces. Also, if it’s a cool day heat up tape and all surfaces with a hairdryer before sticking, and then press down and hold for a few minutes until the tape bonds fully.

Also, best to keep it dry for at least 24 hours, so don’t do it if it’s meant to rain that night. If you follow all these steps I guarantee the spoiler will stay on for years, even if car is always outside, and you get it cleaned at a hand car wash that uses those crazy strong chemicals.

Upvote 1
Looks good Teaston 👍

When fitted, mine had a small gap along the top front edge where it meets the boot lid which was essentially the thickness of the tape - is yours the same? Figured that gap would get filled with grime/muck so I filled it with a very thin bead of black silicone. Pretty much invisible and easier to keep clean.
That’s why I took mine off again blert. Didn’t like the little gap it left between boot and spoiler. Didn’t want to muck around with filler so took it off again which wasn’t easy.

Reactions: blert
Upvote 1
Probably crap tape, use 3M VHB tape, and make sure to thoroughly clean the boot and spoiler surfaces before applying the tape, then apply tape primer like 3M Primer 94 to both surfaces. Also, if it’s a cool day heat up tape and all surfaces with a hairdryer before sticking, and then press down and hold for a few minutes until the tape bonds fully.

Also, best to keep it dry for at least 24 hours, so don’t do it if it’s meant to rain that night. If you follow all these steps I guarantee the spoiler will stay on for years, even if car is always outside, and you get it cleaned at a hand car wash that uses those crazy strong chemicals.
Thanks for the advice the tape the spoiler came with wasnt great i read about 3m in other usa threads will give it ago 👍

Reactions: teaston
Upvote 0
Hi has anybody been successful in applying an aftermarket spoiler i have tried two now from the same manufacturer that have come loose or don't stick down properly. They are real carbon at cost a fair amount seems like the sticky isnt good enough

Has anybody purchased any other brands that actually stick down properly

Turning into a nightmare i might not bother just wondered if anybody else had similar issues
I've fitted the Greendrive one to mine - not cheap but no sign of it becoming unstuck so far.

Upvote 0
Anyone got any pics of their aftermarket MY spoilers (and where they are from)
I‘ve bought the matte black one from Tessories, only £95, looks decent quality. I will be replacing the tape with 3M VHB clear 4910 tape.
EFDA874A-2F6A-4060-92E1-125561D2E658.jpeg
8D064645-23DA-44E3-85B8-9B3317F77881.jpeg
3480A9BD-178F-40F4-920D-B7965994FCA8.jpeg

Upvote 0
Was the tape difficult to replace
The tape is a bugger to replace. You will need some solvent based glue remover but I can recommend changing it to some decent 3M VHB tape. I fitted my spoiler with the original tape and it didn’t go very well so I removed it with a hairdryer and some dental floss. Will try again with some new tape soon.

Upvote 0
Got it fitted yesterday, very happy with it:

Looks good Teaston 👍

When fitted, mine had a small gap along the top front edge where it meets the boot lid which was essentially the thickness of the tape - is yours the same? Figured that gap would get filled with grime/muck so I filled it with a very thin bead of black silicone. Pretty much invisible and easier to keep clean.

Upvote 0
That’s why I took mine off again blert. Didn’t like the little gap it left between boot and spoiler. Didn’t want to muck around with filler so took it off again which wasn’t easy.
Yep, I was a little disappointed with it not being completely flush. Silicone seemed easier than taking the spoiler off though - removing the 'dual motor' badge was bad enough and trying to get tape residue off the edge of the boot lid would sound like an order of magnitude worse :oops:

As I say it turned out surprisingly well cosmetically and I really like the look of the spoiler (matte carbon) but time will tell if the silicone holds up - I've managed to remember to avoid it with the jet washer so far at least!

Reactions: dangrenade
Upvote 0
Looks good Teaston 👍

I replaced the tape with 3M VHB tape and applied it right up to the edge of the spoiler so that there’s no gap when it’s installed.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Word of warning!

The 3M clear tape I bought from Amazon was hopeless, the spoiler is already coming away from the boot on one end! I think the tape I bought must have been fake.

I’ve got some tried and tested black VHB tape in the garage, so I’m going to try that instead.

Upvote 0
Word of warning!

The 3M clear tape I bought from Amazon was hopeless, the spoiler is already coming away from the boot on one end! I think the tape I bought must have been fake.

I’ve got some tried and tested black VHB tape in the garage, so I’m going to try that instead.
What a pain to have to remove it from the car and spoiler and start over :( Hope it comes off easily enough for you!

Upvote 0