Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Spoilers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi has anybody been successful in applying an aftermarket spoiler i have tried two now from the same manufacturer that have come loose or don't stick down properly. They are real carbon at cost a fair amount seems like the sticky isnt good enough

Has anybody purchased any other brands that actually stick down properly

Turning into a nightmare i might not bother just wondered if anybody else had similar issues

What does it look like up close on the inside of the wing? It could be a thin layer of carbon fibre over fibreglass or plastic. It’s unlikely to be real carbon on all layers for what you paid for it, but not impossible.

Attachments

• 20220503_124735.jpg
    20220503_124735.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 158
Upvote 0
It looks good, are there any markings or stickers on the side with the tape on?
There are no markings on the tape. After reading posts in this thread about poor tape I emailed them asking what tape they used specifically asking about and suggesting that I would buy some 3M VHB - they replied that their tape was good quality VHB tape (but they would say that). I am inclined to give their tape a try but hope I won't regret it.

Upvote 0
Looks like carbon at least 👍 if it is fake they’ve gone to a lot of effort to make it look real so if it fits nicely that’s a win.

The tape looks like the same junk tape that was on the wings from tessories though. I’d replace it.

Upvote 0
Aliexpress £94 - It arrived today (7 weeks after order). It's was sold as 'Real' Carbon Fibre and examining it I have no reason to question that. I don't have any experience of handlinf RCF from plastic so i can't be sure (anyone know how I can be sure). my first imprerssions were, it was VERY light in weight and super stiff. I will post pjotos when I have fitted it. I would like to know, from those who paid £200plus for these, does this one look any different?
Could you share a link the spoiler on Aliexpress? I had a good search around but cannot find it. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Could you share a link the spoiler on Aliexpress? I had a good search around but cannot find it. Thanks!

Here is the link. i've noticed the price on Aliexpress starts in USD and so changes by the day with the exchange rate. Mine arrived undamamged but I do intend to givew them some feedback on the packaging which was 'flimsy' and it was VERY lucky that it didn't get bent over and damaged in transit. Comms with the seller was quite good.

Attachments

• 20220503_122403.jpg
    20220503_122403.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 113
Reactions: Toblerone
Upvote 0

Here is the link. i've noticed the price on Aliexpress starts in USD and so changes by the day with the exchange rate. Mine arrived undamamged but I do intend to givew them some feedback on the packaging which was 'flimsy' and it was VERY lucky that it didn't get bent over and damaged in transit. Comms with the seller was quite good.
That’s great, many thanks.

Packaging looks far from ideal!

Upvote 0
I can see that the spoiler in the YouTube clip has tape on the whole of the inside whilst mine is just on the edges . . . . . . was the tape in your spoiler like the one in the video clip or like mine?

Attachments

• VHB.png
    VHB.png
    825.7 KB · Views: 102
  • VHB_.jpg
    VHB_.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 114
Upvote 0
I ordered some 3M VHB which I expect to arrive early this week. The existing tape is just 5mm wide but I presume that removing it to replace it all will be difficult as it's sole purpose is to 'stick' so I plan to add some 3M behind it.
Sounds like a good plan. The more areas in contact and bonded, the more likely it will hold.
I have some VHB kicking around, so I'll likely do the same.

Upvote 0
The matt carbon is the same as I went for. Was delivered by Parcelforce and I had to pay import duty on it - around £50 from memory.

Easy to fit yes although as mentioned in an earlier comment it does leave a small gap between the spoiler and boot lid of maybe a couple of millimetres - I think just the thickness of the tape. It bothered me enough that I filled it with some silicone but I doubt that many people would notice it unless looking very closely.

It comes with a couple of cloths with adhesion promoter on them but make sure to only use them on the areas to be stuck to or wipe it off any other paint work quickly - I didn't and it was an ordeal to get off using T-cut and a lot of elbow grease.

It's been on for a little over a month now and still stuck fine so I think the standard tape it comes with is pretty good.

Overall very happy with it although I would admit that it's a fair bit of money for quite a small cosmetic difference 🤷‍♂️
just a quick update spoiler is due to be delivered tomorrow so will check it out and see the overall quality/fitment, duty paid this morning @ £54.96 which is interesting as I paid £20 less for the spoiler using a discount code, so assume Greendrive still declare full value for insurance/shipment which customs must base their charges on.

Upvote 0
Fitted today. I put in some additiona 3M tape after cleaning the inside of the spolier with white spirit. I then used Mr Muscle Kitchen debreaser on the edge of the boot. I taped it all up and i marked up some the tape in the middle and pushed it on starting at the middle. I them got a towel on a weight and hammered the edge to get it tight in. It feels secure. There is a bit of a 'lip' and minute bits of the tale on that lip at the edges. Of course the visual affect of black on grey isn't as satisfying as black on white / red.

Attachments

• Spoiler1.jpg
    Spoiler1.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 105
  • Spoiler4.jpg
    Spoiler4.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 108
  • Spolier2.jpg
    Spolier2.jpg
    548 KB · Views: 108
  • Spolier3.jpg
    Spolier3.jpg