Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Spoilers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi has anybody been successful in applying an aftermarket spoiler i have tried two now from the same manufacturer that have come loose or don't stick down properly. They are real carbon at cost a fair amount seems like the sticky isnt good enough

Has anybody purchased any other brands that actually stick down properly

Turning into a nightmare i might not bother just wondered if anybody else had similar issues

I bought a real carbon spoiler for my Model Y order. However, due to change in circumstances, I've decided not to continue with the order, so the spoiler isn't needed

It cost £111 all in from Ali Express. I have a few days for free refund, but if anyone wants it can collect from Exeter for the same money, it'll save you having to wait a month.

It's a really lovely spoiler! Shout if interested.

(I also have a full 3D mat set, dog guard, and various other bits and bobs that are brand new and need to go!)

Attachments

• sp3.jpg
    sp3.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 105
  • sp2.jpg
    sp2.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 70
  • sp1.jpg
    sp1.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 74
Reactions: Toblerone
Upvote 0
Any updates on how people have got on positive / negative ??
I can recommend the matte carbon spoiler from Greendrive, prep is the key but 2.5 months on still solid (on the tape supplied with the spoiler), has been through various rain / dust storms and shows no signs of lifting. Took 20 mins to fit including prep, only thing I'd recommend is once surface is clean and spoiler just fitted have a hairdryer or similar on hand to gently warm the spoiler for 1-2 mins around the edges where it makes contact with the boot lid and press hard once again (2 people ideally pressing middle/either side) so the glue softens and makes maximum contact with the body and then cures overnight.

Upvote 0
Hi has anybody been successful in applying an aftermarket spoiler i have tried two now from the same manufacturer that have come loose or don't stick down properly. They are real carbon at cost a fair amount seems like the sticky isnt good enough

Has anybody purchased any other brands that actually stick down properly

Turning into a nightmare i might not bother just wondered if anybody else had similar issues
Mine, imported from America and given to a highly skilled automotive detailer could not be successfully fitted. When I tackled the supplier's customer services all I got was " Devastated about that but we have hundreds of happy customers".
Those happy souls don't seem to contribute to this forum.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Finally got around to taking some pics - this is what the matte black tessories spoiler looks like on pearl white.

Having initially thought I had cracked it with the original tape... as per everyone else's experience, the spoiler had to come off because it lifted a few days later (probably as soon as it got warm), with new 3m VHB exterior tape applied along the entire length. It is ever so slightly thicker than the original tape (or it may be that I went right to the edge on the ends where the original tape didn't) so there is a very slight standoff at the far ends, but no gap to the paint and it's not noticeable really so I'm happy knowing it's not going to fly off.

View attachment 798376
View attachment 798375
Looks excellent.

Mine, imported from America ( the suppliers name is similar in sound to an Australian person from their "Apple Isle,"
was handed over to a highly skilled automotive detailer but could not be successfully fitted.

When I tackled the supplier's customer services their response was: "We are deeply sorry for this experience. We have sold thousands of these spoilers and we are confident they can be installed properly and effectively. :). This was followed by a request for a blow by blow description of how it was fitted and how it failed.....I gave up the will at this point.

Those happy 1000s of souls who bought one don't seem to enlighten us on this forum with the profound depth of their satisfaction.

But enough whining from me... I might give it a go. So, could you please give me details of the products you used for your successful application; I believe that tapes vary by width and adhesive thickness.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I installed my greendrive a few weeks ago, used the original tape it came with, with adhesive promoter swabs and it's been solid. It can really only be fitted one way and centering was easy. Jet washed twice, sat in the hot weather and still holding strong. Looks great too. Will get pics later.

Reactions: Wattsisname
Upvote 0
Looks excellent.

Mine, imported from America ( the suppliers name is similar in sound to an Australian person from their "Apple Isle,"
was handed over to a highly skilled automotive detailer but could not be successfully fitted.

When I tackled the supplier's customer services their response was: "We are deeply sorry for this experience. We have sold thousands of these spoilers and we are confident they can be installed properly and effectively. :). This was followed by a request for a blow by blow description of how it was fitted and how it failed.....I gave up the will at this point.

Those happy 1000s of souls who bought one don't seem to enlighten us on this forum with the profound depth of their satisfaction.

But enough whining from me... I might give it a go. So, could you please give me details of the products you used for your successful application; I believe that tapes vary by width and adhesive thickness.

Thanks in advance.
When you say it could not be successfully fitted, what do you mean exactly? Did it not fit properly or did the adhesive bond fail?

I used this tape.

Upvote 0
When you say it could not be successfully fitted, what do you mean exactly? Did it not fit properly or did the adhesive bond fail?

I used this tape.l
The latter principally though it's not a great fit either; the ends don't want to get too close to the car which might have caused the "glue" to be over stressed.
I did not witness the operation but I trust the person who tried.

Thank you for your info'.

Upvote 0
Morning all! So two questions...

First, my car will be a lease and I'm allowed a spoiler (I think) as long as it can be returned to standard on return.. with the primer and the VHB tape people are mentioning here what are the chances of taking it off in 3 years and giving it a polish and it returning to normal?

Secondly, I don't want to deal with import duties from the states particularly, any recommendations from a UK one and whether you managed to make do with the original tape or not (from the above I think most had to replace?). Thanks all!

Reactions: Wattsisname
Upvote 0

First, my car will be a lease and I'm allowed a spoiler (I think) as long as it can be returned to standard on return.. with the primer and the VHB tape people are mentioning here what are the chances of taking it off in 3 years and giving it a polish and it returning to normal?

Secondly, I don't want to deal with import duties from the states particularly, any recommendations from a UK one and whether you managed to make do with the original tape or not (from the above I think most had to replace?). Thanks all!
Huzzah for you; 21st September delivery! I can still evoke within myself the swan like serenity of those last three weeks; all calm on the surface but......
mentally paddling like f..k beneath. Warning: when you get the car after the EDD Roller Coaster, the kid at Christmas feeling takes over. I can say from eight weeks experience, I still get a jolt in the morning when I draw the curtains for that first sight of her. (Does he mean Lizzie or SWMBO, I hear you ask).

Now then...SWMBO say. "Alright already! The man just wants to know about spoilers. Unlike you, he is not prepared to blow his hard earned on a (disappointing) American import. Of course, if you had better researched the UK options, you could now advise him."

Both SWMBO and I, are agreed that the White/Black/20" combination really benefits from a spoiler. I am sure other members will advise you on UK options.

P.S. When yours arrives, We will have completed (safely we hope) the first 24 hours of our "Lizzie Goes To Europe" experience.
Thanks to (and I do rant on about it) BBBB, we have to apply stickies to Lizzie's front and rear and comply with whatever other reprisals are coming our way from Europe, that betrayed and disappointed lover who believed that our union promises were for ever.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Huzzah for you; 21st September delivery! I can still evoke within myself the swan like serenity of those last three weeks; all calm on the surface but......
mentally paddling like f..k beneath. Warning: when you get the car after the EDD Roller Coaster, the kid at Christmas feeling takes over. I can say from eight weeks experience, I still get a jolt in the morning when I draw the curtains for that first sight of her. (Does he mean Lizzie or SWMBO, I hear you ask).

Now then...SWMBO say. "Alright already! The man just wants to know about spoilers. Unlike you, he is not prepared to blow his hard earned on a (disappointing) American import. Of course, if you had better researched the UK options, you could now advise him."

Both SWMBO and I, are agreed that the White/Black/20" combination really benefits from a spoiler. I am sure other members will advise you on UK options.

P.S. When yours arrives, We will have completed (safely we hope) the first 24 hours of our "Lizzie Goes To Europe" experience.
Thanks to (and I do rant on about it) BBBB, we have to apply stickies to Lizzie's front and rear and comply with whatever other reprisals are coming our way from Europe, that betrayed and disappointed lover who believed that our union promises were for ever.

Haha, this made me spit out my coffee this morning!! I can see parallels between you and I, particularly when I informed SWMBO this end that my Tesla was now rounding Singapore this morning... I'm sure her face was not dissimilar to your SWMBO when she hears you mention Lizzie!

All the best for your trip to Europe.. we expect a full trip report on your return :)

p.s. only 22 days, 20 hours and 28 mins to go now...

Reactions: QuanTim
Upvote 0
Haha, this made me spit out my coffee this morning!! I can see parallels between you and I, particularly when I informed SWMBO this end that my Tesla was now rounding Singapore this morning... I'm sure her face was not dissimilar to your SWMBO when she hears you mention Lizzie!

All the best for your trip to Europe.. we expect a full trip report on your return :)

p.s. only 22 days, 20 hours and 28 mins to go now...
.....and counting.😅
Thank you for your kind wishes. We, the Boss and I, shall be checking on here, from the Loire Valley, for your Q3 Graduation Day First Drive Report...... I'm full of anticipation already. "Eventual" Tesla ownership seems to heighten our empathy, at least for anyone awaiting quarterly graduation. Although, I am not sure I would swop the experience of sharing EDDitis with the members here, for instant gratification.....

.....thoughts on the matter from Q2 Graduates please.

I am now off to visit a mate (inmate) of Chelsea and Westminister Hospital (he is on the mend) where, coincidentally, I resided for three days in May. I had to be given access to the forum and my EDD, intravenously! :rolleyes: The word "drip" springs to mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fezza
Upvote 0

Congrats on the car!

1 - I’ve just taken my spoiler off (insurance is all a bit wonky on Tesla’s at the moment and going with a strict no mods policy saved me £600) after 6months of it being on there. I loved the wing, but not *that* much. If I can get a modified policy for a good amount come renewal it will go back on. Came off fine, just warmed with heat gun and started yanking. Nothing technical, just brute force applied carefully if that’s a thing! I haven’t even polished it - just clay barred to get remaining residue off and it’s good as new. You could argue that 3 years vs ~6 months is going to be a harder bond, but in reality I think that’s unlikely to make a difference. You will find more muck in there after 3 years that’s for sure.

1B - you will need to retape most likely. There are only a few factories making all of these wings regardless of end seller. The tape is rubbish on all of them. I used scotch / 3m vhb exterior tape in grey colour.

2 - Tessories U.K. sell carbon Matt and gloss. They ship from Birmingham. Quality was good for £90.

Hope that’s helpful. Mine is a lease too.

Upvote 0
Congrats on the car!

1 - I’ve just taken my spoiler off (insurance is all a bit wonky on Tesla’s at the moment and going with a strict no mods policy saved me £600) after 6months of it being on there. I loved the wing, but not *that* much. If I can get a modified policy for a good amount come renewal it will go back on. Came off fine, just warmed with heat gun and started yanking. Nothing technical, just brute force applied carefully if that’s a thing! I haven’t even polished it - just clay barred to get remaining residue off and it’s good as new. You could argue that 3 years vs ~6 months is going to be a harder bond, but in reality I think that’s unlikely to make a difference. You will find more muck in there after 3 years that’s for sure.

1B - you will need to retape most likely. There are only a few factories making all of these wings regardless of end seller. The tape is rubbish on all of them. I used scotch / 3m vhb exterior tape in grey colour.

2 - Tessories U.K. sell carbon Matt and gloss. They ship from Birmingham. Quality was good for £90.

Hope that’s helpful. Mine is a lease too.

Lovely job, thanks soo much, that’s exactly what I needed to know! Might well go for the tessories one too as yours looks great. Thanks again!

Reactions: Casss
Upvote 0