Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Spoilers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi has anybody been successful in applying an aftermarket spoiler i have tried two now from the same manufacturer that have come loose or don't stick down properly. They are real carbon at cost a fair amount seems like the sticky isnt good enough

Has anybody purchased any other brands that actually stick down properly

Turning into a nightmare i might not bother just wondered if anybody else had similar issues

What a pain to have to remove it from the car and spoiler and start over :( Hope it comes off easily enough for you!
Well, the upside of the tape being so crap was the spoiler was extremely easy to remove, didn’t even need any heat or solvent! Tape was relatively easy to remove from the spoiler too.

I’ve used the normal 3M VHB tape now, could immediately notice how much stickier it is, was difficult to align the spoiler and is kept grabbing really strongly to the boot lid! Only shame is that I only had grey tape, the black version would be better for this spoiler.

Upvote 0
Shame you had to take it off, but better to find out that way it’s not stuck well than seeing it flying away in the rear mirror on the motorway never to be seen again!

I think the standard black and grey (exterior) scotch vhb tape is good for this job in the U.K. as it has an appropriately low and high max temp rating. Something crazy like -38 degrees.

Hope that works better.

Reactions: teaston
Upvote 0
Shame you had to take it off, but better to find out that way it’s not stuck well than seeing it flying away in the rear mirror on the motorway never to be seen again!

I think the standard black and grey (exterior) scotch vhb tape is good for this job in the U.K. as it has an appropriately low and high max temp rating. Something crazy like -38 degrees.

Hope that works better.
Yes, I should have used the black version, the grey is showing a bit in places, I’ve ordered a very fine sharpie to black up those bits!

Reactions: blert and Casss
Upvote 0
Matt Black Spoiler from Tessories arrived today - looks great apart from tape placement, really nice and smooth, consistent colour and feels surprisingly solid. Am going to cut some off and replace at the ends as leaving it as is will cause a gap no-doubt. Hopefully fit it today / tomorrow weather permitting. (Months worth of weather in a day here at the moment :rolleyes:)

Reactions: teaston
Upvote 0
< The Main issue I learned whenever the spoiler didn't stay attached well, is the lack of surface prep and most importantly the failure to use
3M Adhesion Promoter. I replaced the tape in my failing spoiler, cleaned the surfaces with 90% alcohol, and used the Adhesion Promoter, not only has the spoiler stayed on property but the adhesion in the ends is tight and no gaps >

3M Adhesion Promoter 06396 is specifically formulated to be used with 3M Acrylic Foam Tape for automotive applications. 06396 is often used with low-surface energy plastics such as TPO, PPO, PP, PC, PC + ABS, etc. Since formulations and surface energies can vary for these types of materials, each application should be verified through testing. Adhesion Promoter 06396 is supplied in an easy-to-use sponge applicator packet. The liquid contents of the packet should be completely used as soon as possible after opening. Apply promoter only to the areas that will be fully covered with tape. The primer should be dry before applying tape. For best results, apply tape immediately after primer application or no more than one hour after primer application. Be sure the primed surfaces remains free from contaminants prior to tape application.

Upvote 0
< The Main issue I learned whenever the spoiler didn't stay attached well, is the lack of surface prep and most importantly the failure to use
3M Adhesion Promoter. I replaced the tape in my failing spoiler, cleaned the surfaces with 90% alcohol, and used the Adhesion Promoter, not only has the spoiler stayed on property but the adhesion in the ends is tight and no gaps >

3M Adhesion Promoter 06396 is specifically formulated to be used with 3M Acrylic Foam Tape for automotive applications. 06396 is often used with low-surface energy plastics such as TPO, PPO, PP, PC, PC + ABS, etc. Since formulations and surface energies can vary for these types of materials, each application should be verified through testing. Adhesion Promoter 06396 is supplied in an easy-to-use sponge applicator packet. The liquid contents of the packet should be completely used as soon as possible after opening. Apply promoter only to the areas that will be fully covered with tape. The primer should be dry before applying tape. For best results, apply tape immediately after primer application or no more than one hour after primer application. Be sure the primed surfaces remains free from contaminants prior to tape application.
Yes I did all that! The clear tape was just crap, I’m convinced it’s not genuine 3M

Upvote 0
Finally got around to taking some pics - this is what the matte black tessories spoiler looks like on pearl white.

Having initially thought I had cracked it with the original tape... as per everyone else's experience, the spoiler had to come off because it lifted a few days later (probably as soon as it got warm), with new 3m VHB exterior tape applied along the entire length. It is ever so slightly thicker than the original tape (or it may be that I went right to the edge on the ends where the original tape didn't) so there is a very slight standoff at the far ends, but no gap to the paint and it's not noticeable really so I'm happy knowing it's not going to fly off.

240422-2.jpg

240422-3.jpg

Upvote 0
I've fitted the Greendrive one to mine - not cheap but no sign of it becoming unstuck so far.
I am about to buy a Greendrive Matt Carbon Spoiler for my Model Y, I just wanted to check how you or others were getting along with their product from this company, was it an easy fit, is the tape of good 3M quality and stuck first time with no signs of coming off? Any customs / tax surprises post delivery? I also looked at the Tessories spoiler which is £100 cheaper but its currently out of stock, isn't carbon fibre and as on this thread the tape supplied isn't of decent quality (I don't want to go through the hassle of replacing the tape on the supplied spoiler). I'd rather pay Greendrive if its a better quality product with the least amount of hassle. Advice welcome, ps. are there any Greendrive discounts codes out there that I can use? :)

Reactions: blert and Toblerone
Upvote 0
I am about to buy a Greendrive Matt Carbon Spoiler for my Model Y, I just wanted to check how you or others were getting along with their product from this company, was it an easy fit, is the tape of good 3M quality and stuck first time with no signs of coming off? Any customs / tax surprises post delivery? I also looked at the Tessories spoiler which is £100 cheaper but its currently out of stock, isn't carbon fibre and as on this thread the tape supplied isn't of decent quality (I don't want to go through the hassle of replacing the tape on the supplied spoiler). I'd rather pay Greendrive if its a better quality product with the least amount of hassle. Advice welcome, ps. are there any Greendrive discounts codes out there that I can use? :)

The matt carbon is the same as I went for. Was delivered by Parcelforce and I had to pay import duty on it - around £50 from memory.

Easy to fit yes although as mentioned in an earlier comment it does leave a small gap between the spoiler and boot lid of maybe a couple of millimetres - I think just the thickness of the tape. It bothered me enough that I filled it with some silicone but I doubt that many people would notice it unless looking very closely.

It comes with a couple of cloths with adhesion promoter on them but make sure to only use them on the areas to be stuck to or wipe it off any other paint work quickly - I didn't and it was an ordeal to get off using T-cut and a lot of elbow grease.

It's been on for a little over a month now and still stuck fine so I think the standard tape it comes with is pretty good.

Overall very happy with it although I would admit that it's a fair bit of money for quite a small cosmetic difference 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Bathurst
Upvote 0
Aliexpress £94 - It arrived today (7 weeks after order). It's was sold as 'Real' Carbon Fibre and examining it I have no reason to question that. I don't have any experience of handlinf RCF from plastic so i can't be sure (anyone know how I can be sure). my first imprerssions were, it was VERY light in weight and super stiff. I will post pjotos when I have fitted it. I would like to know, from those who paid £200plus for these, does this one look any different?

Attachments

• SP1.jpg
    SP1.jpg
    660.1 KB · Views: 71
  • SP2.jpg
    SP2.jpg
    628 KB · Views: 71
  • SP3.jpg
    SP3.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 81
Upvote 0
Aliexpress £94 - It arrived today (7 weeks after order). It's was sold as 'Real' Carbon Fibre and examining it I have no reason to question that. I don't have any experience of handlinf RCF from plastic so i can't be sure (anyone know how I can be sure). my first imprerssions were, it was VERY light in weight and super stiff. I will post pjotos when I have fitted it. I would like to know, from those who paid £200plus for these, does this one look any different?
What does it look like up close on the inside of the wing? It could be a thin layer of carbon fibre over fibreglass or plastic. It’s unlikely to be real carbon on all layers for what you paid for it, but not impossible.

Upvote 0
The matt carbon is the same as I went for. Was delivered by Parcelforce and I had to pay import duty on it - around £50 from memory.

Easy to fit yes although as mentioned in an earlier comment it does leave a small gap between the spoiler and boot lid of maybe a couple of millimetres - I think just the thickness of the tape. It bothered me enough that I filled it with some silicone but I doubt that many people would notice it unless looking very closely.

It comes with a couple of cloths with adhesion promoter on them but make sure to only use them on the areas to be stuck to or wipe it off any other paint work quickly - I didn't and it was an ordeal to get off using T-cut and a lot of elbow grease.

It's been on for a little over a month now and still stuck fine so I think the standard tape it comes with is pretty good.

Overall very happy with it although I would admit that it's a fair bit of money for quite a small cosmetic difference 🤷‍♂️
Thanks, I placed the order on Saturday, its Tuesday today but have not heard anything from Greendrive about shipping so have raised a support ticket for more info as I assumed it was in stock when ordering. Shame about the additional import duty, does that have to paid prior to delivery to Parcelforce or on delivery? I managed to find a discount code online that reduced the spoiler by £20 so will help soften the blow.

Reactions: blert
Upvote 0
Thanks, I placed the order on Saturday, its Tuesday today but have not heard anything from Greendrive about shipping so have raised a support ticket for more info as I assumed it was in stock when ordering. Shame about the additional import duty, does that have to paid prior to delivery to Parcelforce or on delivery? I managed to find a discount code online that reduced the spoiler by £20 so will help soften the blow.

I did place another order with them and no import duty was charged so I think it's just pot luck 🤞 If you do have to pay it then they'll send a 'something to pay' card to you with a reference number which you can go on their website to pay it. Will only be delivered once paid so it adds a couple/few days onto the delivery time although if/when the tracking says it's awaiting payment of custom fees you can also ring Parcelforce with the tracking number and pay over the phone to save waiting for the card if you want to save some time.

Reactions: Bathurst
Upvote 0

The weave is the same as the Greendrive one so it looks the same but no idea apart from that sorry.

Upvote 0
It looks good, are there any markings or stickers on the side with the tape on?

Reactions: Toblerone
Upvote 0