Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Stock Rear Window Tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had mine done with 25% tint. Only did the 2 front windows. My question is if anyone know if the back and rear are UV protected? Many tint shop advise to tint them with 70% tint. I didn't do it, figured I can always add them later.

I just had mine done with 25% tint. Only did the 2 front windows. My question is if anyone know if the back and rear are UV protected? Many tint shop advise to tint them with 70% tint. I didn't do it, figured I can always add them later.

I would love it confirmed, but I thought all car windows were UV protected due to the fact if you go on a long car ride you would get sun burn if not.

I would love it confirmed, but I thought all car windows were UV protected due to the fact if you go on a long car ride you would get sun burn if not.
I think it's not that straightforward.
Car door windows don't stop UV rays

I'd think that factory tinted windows (as opposed to aftermarket tinting) would block more harmful rays than clear windows, not sure if it's comparable with a good window film though.

No.. factory "tints" do not block UV rays or have any benefits with heat rejection. Its more for looks. Factory "tints" is just color dye in the glass. if you want UV protection and heat rejection, have a shop tint the rear windows

• Informative
Reactions: Klau2
The factory glass is dyed and not tinted with a film. I did mine with Llumar IRX 50 in the back and 15 in the front. They seem to match very closely.

IMG_6639.jpg

Reactions: MGsurf
Found this article interesting about UV ratings on car glass. It honestly depends on the car manufacturer as well but it looks like front windshields tend to prevent UV transmission more, due to the plastic in it. But for side windows it says they are typically only about 65% effective at blocking UV, or about the same as a SPF 16 rating..

That said, ended up opting to have all my windows (except the windshield and roof glass as Tesla and the nature of the glass/plastic laminate should prevent most all UV rays from coming into the cabin). I decided to do 30% up front and 45% elsewhere.. trying to match them as much as possible seeing as the back is already pretty dark.

• Informative
Reactions: Klau2
I would suggest looking into getting the windshield tinted as well. You can with 70% or so and it will appear just as transparent, but cut down on a lot of heat. Some of the newer ones can cut down on IR a good amount.

Maybe in the future I would consider it.. but honestly would want to see that in person first.. For me night driving is always a concern, its hard enough to see at night... really not trying to reduce that visibility anymore. But yeah, would be nice to cut down on at least half the heat coming through there even at 70%.

Found this article interesting about UV ratings on car glass. It honestly depends on the car manufacturer as well but it looks like front windshields tend to prevent UV transmission more, due to the plastic in it. But for side windows it says they are typically only about 65% effective at blocking UV, or about the same as a SPF 16 rating..

That said, ended up opting to have all my windows (except the windshield and roof glass as Tesla and the nature of the glass/plastic laminate should prevent most all UV rays from coming into the cabin). I decided to do 30% up front and 45% elsewhere.. trying to match them as much as possible seeing as the back is already pretty dark.
The back are 25%, so if you want to match them you really should do 25%.

Unfortunately the tint only goes down to 30% at the place I am taking my car (getting Spectra Photosync), I'm ok with a 5% difference, will be hard to notice most of the time I'm sure.
i see, but if you are tinting the back with 45%, that will make it even darker and the front 2 and back windows will have a lot more difference. Why not 70% in the back 2 windows? The UV protection isn't determine by the darkness of the film.

i see, but if you are tinting the back with 45%, that will make it even darker and the front 2 and back windows will have a lot more difference. Why not 70% in the back 2 windows? The UV protection isn't determine by the darkness of the film.

Right, UV isn't, but based on the info from the manufacturer it seems like the heat rejection is based on darkness some as well, about a 12% difference between 70 and 45.. maybe I split the difference at 55% ;) It does suck not having anything to really reference or look at.. kind of just guessing at this point.

sph_ird_specs-2-1024x465.jpg

These are the readings I got with the Tint meter (EDTM Digital Power Meter)

Outside Direct sun 254 (high)
Front windshield 95 (no tint)
Side front windows 50 (no tint)
Rear factory tinted windows 15
Roof glass factory dyed or tinted “5”
Rear hatch factory tinted 15

The Y is currently in the shop, getting Crystaline 70 on the front windshield and 35% on the front windows, I think it’s Xpel but will get the correct brand name when I pick it up. Will post new heat rejection numbers when I get it.

Fred

Reactions: Electric Steve
These are the readings I got with the Tint meter (EDTM Digital Power Meter)

Outside Direct sun 254 (high)
Front windshield 95 (no tint)
Side front windows 50 (no tint)
Rear factory tinted windows 15
Roof glass factory dyed or tinted “5”
Rear hatch factory tinted 15

The Y is currently in the shop, getting Crystaline 70 on the front windshield and 35% on the front windows, I think it’s Xpel but will get the correct brand name when I pick it up. Will post new heat rejection numbers when I get it.

Fred
So you're not adding to the top correct?