Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y taking water into trunk on boat launch.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2020 Model Y, and had the tow package installed by my local Tesla shop. Everything with the tow hitch etc, seem to work fine. But after launching a jetski via my neighborhood boat ramp, I noticed that a ton of water had leaked into my back trunk. In order to get the trailer into the water enough to launch the jet ski, I had to get the water lever pretty high on the back wheels, but don't think that I got the lower seam of the trunk opening into the water (trunk closed, obviously).

I had to completely disassemble the trunk liner in order to get all the water out of the trunk. There were no obvious holes anywhere from what I observed.

Is this normal behavior of the Model Y? Shouldn't this be a standard use of a trailer - launching a boat or jet ski? Or should I be bringing it into the service center to check for some type of defect?

Reactions: MikeR99
I have a 2020 Model Y, and had the tow package installed by my local Tesla shop. Everything with the tow hitch etc, seem to work fine. But after launching a jetski via my neighborhood boat ramp, I noticed that a ton of water had leaked into my back trunk. In order to get the trailer into the water enough to launch the jet ski, I had to get the water lever pretty high on the back wheels, but don't think that I got the lower seam of the trunk opening into the water (trunk closed, obviously).

I had to completely disassemble the trunk liner in order to get all the water out of the trunk. There were no obvious holes anywhere from what I observed.

Is this normal behavior of the Model Y? Shouldn't this be a standard use of a trailer - launching a boat or jet ski? Or should I be bringing it into the service center to check for some type of defect?

I haven't launched my jet ski yet with the Y. Did the water reach the rear hatch seal? I wouldn't think you'd need to get that far in to launch...sure hope that's not the case. Have you taken the storage tub out to take a look (actually not sure that's even possible)?

I just went back to review some of Sandy Munroe's work on the model Y. It appears that the rear lip of the trunk tub is very low. Low enough I could see that dropping below the water line if you're on a shallow ramp. It may be possible to remove the trunk tub and seal around it...not quite sure.
Check out this video and see what you think.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 270
  • 2.png
    2.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 136
  • 3.png
    3.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 133
I haven't launched my jet ski yet with the Y. Did the water reach the rear hatch seal? I wouldn't think you'd need to get that far in to launch...sure hope that's not the case. Have you taken the storage tub out to take a look (actually not sure that's even possible)?
I do not believe that it reached the level of the rear hatch seal. more likely that it came in from underneath somewhere.

I just went back to review some of Sandy Munroe's work on the model Y. It appears that the rear lip of the trunk tub is very low. Low enough I could see that dropping below the water line if you're on a shallow ramp. It may be possible to remove the trunk tub and seal around it...not quite sure.
Check out this video and see what you think.

Yeah, this looks like it might very well be the problem. This is a poor design with the tub not having a good seal. If it's only bolted in place with those 5 bolts, and the top rear part of the tub being so low, would explain how water could get in that way.

Yeah, this looks like it might very well be the problem. This is a poor design with the tub not having a good seal. If it's only bolted in place with those 5 bolts, and the top rear part of the tub being so low, would explain how water could get in that way.
Pull that puppy up and RTV the crap out of it... then go jet ski riding a week from now and let us know if it fixed the problem :)

Keith

Reactions: GeezerSquid
Actually, I think it may be a bigger problem than just sealant. There is nothing to stop water from coming over the top of the main plastic tub on the bumper side, and that area of the bumper is not water tight. I just checked mine out, as much as I could without pulling all the covers out (which I'll do later because it concerns me), and it appears there is no way to prevent water entering. What would happen then is that water would get into the plastic tub and be somewhat unseen until it penetrated the inner fabric liner. Worse is that even using a wet vac to get the water out there will still be water in the main plastic tub sloshing around and water logging the fabric liner.
I'll come back and post pics once I get it all taken apart.

Never let the back tires get more than a few inches into the water. Better to stop just short of the water, keeping the wheels above water level.

If you can't launch the boat from there, you need a longer tongue on the trailer. Some trailers have extensions you can attach prior to backing down the ramp.

No amount of fussing around with sealant in the trunks will ever be a good solution.

Been launching boats from all kinds of vehicles for decades. Getting you rig set up right first is key.

Yeah, the Y has a short overhang, so it's tempting to cheat and back down farther, but all kinds of stuff is going to be getting soaked in the rear end, wiring, padding, nooks and crannies you can't see or find to dry out.

Maybe we need to design an extension bar to swap out in the hitch just for launching. Would be super simple.

Never let the back tires get more than a few inches into the water. Better to stop just short of the water, keeping the wheels above water level.

If you can't launch the boat from there, you need a longer tongue on the trailer. Some trailers have extensions you can attach prior to backing down the ramp.

No amount of fussing around with sealant in the trunks will ever be a good solution.

Been launching boats from all kinds of vehicles for decades. Getting you rig set up right first is key.

Yeah, the Y has a short overhang, so it's tempting to cheat and back down farther, but all kinds of stuff is going to be getting soaked in the rear end, wiring, padding, nooks and crannies you can't see or find to dry out.

Maybe we need to design an extension bar to swap out in the hitch just for launching. Would be super simple.
Great advice but this class of problem seems already well sorted in the marketplace. Can't imagine the tongue weight on a PWC is very heavy, and a simple extension is probably all that is required to keep the MY out of the water.

Great advice but this class of problem seems already well sorted in the marketplace. Can't imagine the tongue weight on a PWC is very heavy, and a simple extension is probably all that is required to keep the MY out of the water.

Perfect, I thought I saw something like that. I'd just be sure to only use it while launching, would not be a good idea to tow with it.

My sailboat trailer has the opposite, a tongue extender that adds 8 ft so we can float the full keel sailboat. Fun stuff.

Reactions: Corndart

Probably do not back your car under water and it will be dry. There is a YouTube channel that shows maniacs in Florida backing their vehicles into the water and losing the entire thing. With a proper trailer, and a proper launch area, you should not get water more than a couple of inches up the rear tires. Get a longer tongue on your trailer or find a better launch ramp.

Probably do not back your car under water and it will be dry. There is a YouTube channel that shows maniacs in Florida backing their vehicles into the water and losing the entire thing. With a proper trailer, and a proper launch area, you should not get water more than a couple of inches up the rear tires. Get a longer tongue on your trailer or find a better launch ramp.
At most boat ramps you don't even want to get your tires wet. Destroys your traction.