Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Test Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received email from Chargepoint today:

All the eligibility requirements of the Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme must be met at the time of installation (including that the vehicle is on the eligible vehicle list).

Tesla has now applied to add their Y model to the eligible vehicle list. When we have checked that all the eligibility requirements are met, we will update the eligible vehicle list in the EVHS section on our grants collection page (Grant schemes for electric vehicle charging infrastructure) – you can check this list for any updates.

Unfortunately, you will not be eligible for the EVHS grant if the model Y is not on the list at the time of installation
Good new! The Tesla Model Y has now been added to the OLEV eligibility list for the Home Charger Grant! Just waiting for my trade in request from 2 weeks ago now...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-21 at 16.58.57.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-21 at 16.58.57.png
    93.3 KB · Views: 100
I’ve just had a call from TESLA Guildford to arrange a model Y test drive next weekend (29th) at their Guildford site. Looks like the test drive cars are now moving around.
I think Thorpe Park is shutting down for Tesla after this weekend. I suspect workers will be starting to prepare the park for reopening at the end of March so they have moved to Guildford. I'd image that more MYs will soon be in the country to allow every Tesla location to offer test drives.

I think Thorpe Park is shutting down for Tesla after this weekend. I suspect workers will be starting to prepare the park for reopening at the end of March so they have moved to Guildford. I'd image that more MYs will soon be in the country to allow every Tesla location to offer test drives.
What with Thorpe Park being a collection site I’m hoping they’re getting ready to receive a large delivery of Model Ys. 😃

Sorry if this has been covered already and I missed it - but how long has everyone had for their test drives?
I got 45 mins because the traffic was so bad in Manchester on a Sat afternoon, it took that long to drive the pre programmed route. The only problem was that after driving it and seeing the display MY, I have now gone for the inductions and white interior. 🙄

• Helpful
Reactions: Casss
Have there been any more videos of UK people testing model Y RHD?
Since it's not available yet for us here down under, the only entertainment me and missus watch is people test driving it.

Think the last one we watched was Mark Brown

Have there been any more videos of UK people testing model Y RHD?
Since it's not available yet for us here down under, the only entertainment me and missus watch is people test driving it.

Think the last one we watched was Mark Brown
I'm sure there will be more reviews as first deliveries are on 15th followed by a big delivery event on 19th. So expect to see more reviews later this month.

Reactions: rx80
Just went on the Guilford Model Y test drive page and it offered me 8am tomorrow - the only date available. So I took it. Thats quick!! I did get an email, no text or anything so just wondering if they will actually let me drive it if I rock up when they open at 8am tomorrow!

I had my test drive in the MY today. Currently I have a 2020 M3SR+. Things I noted;

Much quieter at motorway speeds then my model 3. On bumpy A and B roads the noise from pot holes and bumps is similar, but at motorway speeds the wind noise is much reduced. Really pleased about that as I spend 1.5hours a day on motorways.

Seats are literally jacked up on the Y. I should of taken a photo but the seats are effectively on supports under each rail. You could actually store stuff under the seat. So although the layout is very similar you are sitting higher. Interestingly you don't see any more of the bonnet then the 3.

Stereo quality seamed similar. More bass then from the the SR+ and I think probably better sound in the back. The SR+ has good sound in my view but only if you are in the front seats.

Main reason for us changing is to fit the dog in the boot. At the moment I have a whole other car just dog journeys! Looks like you can fit a dog that is up to about 2ft tall and 3.5ft long. So for us our golden retriever I think would fit OK. I actually measured the dog and then the car thinking Tesla would never let me put the dog in. When I arrived (without dog) and opened the boot it was full of dog hair. So someone has definitely tried before me.

For anyone moving from M3SR+ to MYLR the acceleration is slightly faster. Not wildly different. What is of benefit is the 4 wheel drive. It was wet when I went out. In the SR+ I have to be carefull on power application in a bend. In the dual motor I could just boot it on a corner and it just went. On handleing I didn't notice a lot of difference but as I was wet and very busy rush hour I didn't really get to put it to the test. Still seamed pretty precise like the M3.

No sign of a rear luggage cover or any attachment points. They said that would be offered as an optional upgrade later.

No sign of the standard wheels. They said they don't have any in the country yet. The black ones look great, but for me I am not going to spend £2k on something I will keep curbing. Nice amount of curbing on the ones on the rear of the test car already!.

I have ordered blue and got to test drive blue. Looked good to me, except I don't think it has been cleaned recently!

A few pics attached (with my headmasters ruler - as with a dog and family it is all about the space for going on holiday!) in case anyone wants some luggage space measurements.

Attachments

• boot compartments.jpg
    boot compartments.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 2ft limit.jpg
    2ft limit.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 70
  • MY.jpg
    MY.jpg
    589.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Boot length.jpg
    Boot length.jpg
    776.4 KB · Views: 60
  • boot height.jpg
    boot height.jpg
    577.7 KB · Views: 63
  • frunk depth.jpg
    frunk depth.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 71
Did they just send it or did you have to call them? if so what number did you call? I have the same issue.

For anyone that has already been, what do you need to do when you get there? just hand over your driving license or is there a form to complete?

I have a test drive in Exeter next week :)
Hi Smiddy, I sent a text back to the number they used to send me the link and they replied with a new link.

When the link works you will upload pics of your drivers license but take it with you just in case. When I got there (Trafford Park) they made me use a QR code to check in and answer some questions.

Hope that helps.

• Helpful
Reactions: Smiddy