Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y tint pictures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you think its necessary to add another layer of tint? Or does it feel super hot?
You have to remember, necessary is relative. You live in a place that does have a lot of sunshine. I have not experienced a summer in my Y yet, but have in my wife's model 3. The roof glass can get warm, but depending on your tolerance level it was not that bad to me. It never really bothered my wife either. Now saying all of that, I did tint everything but my front windshield, but it was more for the aesthetics, so not really "needed".
The factory "tint" however is just that, colored glass, so the same as non-colored glass if you are concerned about heat rejection, the factory tint isn't it. Also remember, all tinting doesn't reject heat, so if you are focused on keeping the car cool, you have to make sure the tint you are getting performs well.

Do you think its necessary to add another layer of tint? Or does it feel super hot?
I only have the factory tint on my MYP and I think it's perfect. I feel the only motivation for additional tint should be for aesthetics.

If you're afraid of the car becoming too warm, just turn the AC on before you get in. This is coming from someone who lives in Florida, one of the warmest and sunniest states in the country.

For those of you who have the front windows tinted so heavily, do you not drive much at night? Even around the 40% range with cars in the past, I've found myself having to roll down the windows at night.

Reactions: Nathancho89
talking to some tinters, one discussed something called air ceramics for front and backwindshield, to have protection without tint. He'd have to order for me as doesn't keep in stock. Debating how dark to go on my front windows and the back two windows. Thinking clear on back two windows and 45 or 35 on front two. He says all the Tesla windows come with sun protection. Like the back two does deflect around 30% and I said well I'd prefer in 90% range.

Orlando is hot hot hot and soooo sunny. Grew up in the sunshine state -my parents always tinted!

talking to some tinters, one discussed something called air ceramics for front and backwindshield, to have protection without tint. He'd have to order for me as doesn't keep in stock. Debating how dark to go on my front windows and the back two windows. Thinking clear on back two windows and 45 or 35 on front two. He says all the Tesla windows come with sun protection. Like the back two does deflect around 30% and I said well I'd prefer in 90% range.

Orlando is hot hot hot and soooo sunny. Grew up in the sunshine state -my parents always tinted!
I may be wrong, but I think the only thing the factory windows offer is UV protection. I don’t think there’s any heat rejection (please correct me if I am incorrect).

most likely he is referring to llumar air 80

Reactions: eeee-meeee
Is ceramic tint less reflective on the inside? I have 15% carbon tint and the glare from the white trim makes it near impossible to see the mirrors in sunny weather. Carbon tint is very reflective. I was thinking of switching to ceramic tint or changing the trim to carbon fiber.

Just had mine tinted with Llumar CTX 15% this morning and noticed exactly what you said about the white trim. Have matte CF trim on order.

I think with white interior 15% is the min we have to go to get a matching look to the factory rear glass.

Here’s a quick shot.

E03C70B5-86AD-487B-A54B-A6ECFACB747D.jpeg