Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5% vs 20% window tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone gone from 20% to 5% for their window tint? Went with 40% on the dyed back windows and was told it would be close to 20%. Front is 20% and looks lighter than the front so installer was sort of correct.

We forgot to take into account the amount of light the sunroof lets in.

Overall the car is brighter inside than my other cars with 20% all around and no sunroof.

I’ve had cars with 5% all around and no sunroof. Way too dark for me at night.

Would 5% be fine on the Y at night with such a huge sunroof?

10-20% at night with no sunroof is as dark as I’ve gone and been comfortable with.

Supreme: "I’ve had cars with 5% all around and no sunroof. Way too dark for me at night.
10-20% at night with no sunroof is as dark as I’ve gone and been comfortable with."

You've answered your own question. At night, how much light do you expect the glass sunroof to allow in?

I agree that anything below 20% is dangerously dark.

Supreme: "I’ve had cars with 5% all around and no sunroof. Way too dark for me at night.
10-20% at night with no sunroof is as dark as I’ve gone and been comfortable with."

You've answered your own question. At night, how much light do you expect the glass sunroof to allow in?

I agree that anything below 20% is dangerously dark.

The sunroof will let in zero useful light for driving.
I’ve never had a car with an open sunroof. I’ve never liked cars with sunroof but got a good deal on one a while back 🤷🏻‍♂️

The sunroof must let in some light for driving during the day and at night?

I did 20% on driver/pass windows and 5% everywhere else. I regret it. Way too dark.
5% on top of the dyed back window tint? My installer was warning me it would be really dark.

I wonder how dropping down to 20% in the back would look like. It is hard to tell when 1. Most shops are only open the day so I can’t tell what it would look like at night 2. The big sunroof makes it hard to tell during the day

I went with 25% all around and 50% on the windshield all llumar ctx ceramic. It looks lighter than my BMW X5 with the same tint except 70% on the windshield.

Attachments

• 20230818_122023.jpg
    20230818_122023.jpg
    495.7 KB · Views: 181
  • 20230810_172850.jpg
    20230810_172850.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 128