Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y tint pictures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_4102.jpeg
IMG_4106.jpeg
5% all around with 35% on the windshield. Went with SunTek’s Ceramic Tint.

Reactions: fsb1 and TesraY
I'm doing this to the exact same model tomorrow in FL. Looks great! Anything to the roof? What do you have on your badges too? Did you dip or get a vinyl? Looks so nice blacked out all the way!
Nothing was done to the roof (as of yet). I am traveling until May and haven’t even driven the car around yet so I hope that the roof’s stock UV protection does enough, otherwise I’ll get it done too

I removed the badges entirely and had them clear powder coated to match the car’s paint

Appreciate the compliments

I'm doing this to the exact same model tomorrow in FL. Looks great! Anything to the roof? What do you have on your badges too? Did you dip or get a vinyl? Looks so nice blacked out all the way!
The glass roof is already tinted that blocks UV and heat. However, for hotter climates - best to get some glass roof shades - as that will drastically reduce the heat coming in from the big glass roof. Lots of options on amazon to try from $40-$99. Seen a video on this one - like that the clips stay up and its two pieces.

Tinting the roof glass just makes the glass absorb more heat to reflect out - so the heat will still be on your head.

Some information to educate yourself on window tint - use TSER as the comparison measure. Darker doesn't always reflect more heat.

TSER: Total Solar Energy Rejected

Total Solar Energy Rejected is the percentage of the total solar energy that is rejected. TSER includes all three: visible light, infrared and ultraviolet. The higher the percentage, the higher the percentage of solar energy deflected. Most window film/tinting shops use Infrared Rejection (IRR) as a guide to the level of heat rejection but IRR only covers 1/3 of TSER. Internationally, TSER is used as a guide as it is a more accurate way of measuring heat rejection as it includes all three (visible light, infrared and ultraviolet).

Reactions: wildguess
The glass roof is already tinted that blocks UV and heat. However, for hotter climates - best to get some glass roof shades - as that will drastically reduce the heat coming in from the big glass roof. Lots of options on amazon to try from $40-$99. Seen a video on this one - like that the clips stay up and its two pieces.

Tinting the roof glass just makes the glass absorb more heat to reflect out - so the heat will still be on your head.

Some information to educate yourself on window tint - use TSER as the comparison measure. Darker doesn't always reflect more heat.

TSER: Total Solar Energy Rejected

Total Solar Energy Rejected is the percentage of the total solar energy that is rejected. TSER includes all three: visible light, infrared and ultraviolet. The higher the percentage, the higher the percentage of solar energy deflected. Most window film/tinting shops use Infrared Rejection (IRR) as a guide to the level of heat rejection but IRR only covers 1/3 of TSER. Internationally, TSER is used as a guide as it is a more accurate way of measuring heat rejection as it includes all three (visible light, infrared and ultraviolet).
Thanks! Science projects and owning multiple black cars definitely has taught me that black absorbs the most heat, haha! I completely agree that the shade cover is the way to go. It didn't make sense for me to get the roof tinted, I'm just more curious how a blacked out car felt inside with the roof glass 'as is'. Either way, I'll find out tomorrow afternoon once I pick mine up from the tinter!

Thanks! Science projects and owning multiple black cars definitely has taught me that black absorbs the most heat, haha! I completely agree that the shade cover is the way to go. It didn't make sense for me to get the roof tinted, I'm just more curious how a blacked out car felt inside with the roof glass 'as is'. Either way, I'll find out tomorrow afternoon once I pick mine up from the tinter!
Kudos. I found the biggest difference is getting the front windshield tinted 70-80% - that cuts a huge amount of heat all day. On the Y - getting the rear doors and back window tinted with 50%-35% helps cut the heat too - and adds more privacy.

So, what about an exterior heat-reflecting film?
Better to purchase a sunroof shade for the hot months. Plenary of options on Amazon that are cost festive. That will cut the heat down tremendously.

No different than a SUV that has a pano-glass roof with a sunshade, once closed the interior temps is reduced a lot. I can arrest to this on my 21’ Acura RDX - no way I can have the sunshade open in the summer months without frying.

Reactions: Art84
Got Ceramic 50% on windshield and 5% on front windows, then went 15% over back and rear. Ordered a sun shade from Tesla yesterday for the roof. Felt like a radiator over my head, even with the new tint, which made it very noticeable that an air layer for the roof should be all it takes. I love the light coming through on the top, so I don't want to block it completely. Love the car so much more now with the tint. I was sick of people staring at me at red lights lol! My kids hated it too!
IMG_6779.JPG
IMG_6780.JPG

Reactions: fsb1 and Vaticous
Got Ceramic 50% on windshield and 5% on front windows, then went 15% over back and rear. Ordered a sun shade from Tesla yesterday for the roof. Felt like a radiator over my head, even with the new tint, which made it very noticeable that an air layer for the roof should be all it takes. I love the light coming through on the top, so I don't want to block it completely. Love the car so much more now with the tint. I was sick of people staring at me at red lights lol! My kids hated it too! View attachment 932353View attachment 932354
Thats one blacked out MYP. The new all around window tint will help reduce cabin temps when the ac is on, especially the front windshield. The glass roof shade will be a big difference too - as if I leave my pano glass roof shade open in my 21' Acura RDX - it heats up the cabin - even though the glass is tinted (not as dark as a MY). When the shade is closed, it's a night a day difference.

Getting ready for summer in SoCal!
Freshly tinted with white interior.
Matches perfectly with the factory tint, kept roof stock for now.

Llumar IRX 15% front sides
Llumar IRX 50% all around
View attachment 935367View attachment 935368
LLumar - is my go to tint. Super color and heat stable. Looks very uniform! Super dark in the sunlight, can't even see it has white interior. A roof shade for the super sunny days will help control the temps inside too.

LLumar - is my go to tint. Super color and heat stable. Looks very uniform! Super dark in the sunlight, can't even see it has white interior. A roof shade for the super sunny days will help control the temps inside too.
Got to drive it in day and night, the film is super clear! Appreciate the lifetime warranty, as well. Pretty happy with LLumar.

Local shops were charging 20-40% more for XPEL XR black / plus without tax.

Roof shade is a good idea, especially for those road trips.

Reactions: Evpowerdan
5% all around plus 30% on front ceramic pro. You can somewhat see in up close. But yeah on cloudy days you get full privacy

Attachments

• IMG_5551.jpeg
    IMG_5551.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_5552.jpeg
    IMG_5552.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_5554.jpeg
    IMG_5554.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_5556.jpeg
    IMG_5556.jpeg