Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Tool Kit Suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any suggestions on a nice small tool kit for the Y? Going on a long trip. Have tire pump and tire repair kits already. TIA
For 40+ years, there hasn't been a whole lot you can do on the side of the road. I've given up thinking I'll be able to fix/adjust/repair anything on a road trip, and just take my chances. Plug kit, spare, jack, breaker bar (129lb-ft...yikes!), inflator, Leatherman-type multitool. That's about it.

Water. Plenty of water (haha...I'm in TX!)

In the shallow storage area behind the rear seats I keep a portable inflator, a tire plug kit, a breaker bar with 21 mm socket, set of jack pads, a Leatherman type tool, a 50 foot 10/3 outdoor rated extension cord, several pair of nitrile gloves, a small roll of shop towels, a folding front window shade, and a couple black trash bags.

Depending on the season, I may take a spray bottle of bug and tar remover. Much easier to deal with bug guts on the front of the car at the end of the day when they are fresh, rather than letting them bake into the finish until I get back home.

And finally, for any long car trip, a $99 subscription to FSD.

In the shallow storage area behind the rear seats I keep a portable inflator, a tire plug kit, a breaker bar with 21 mm socket, set of jack pads, a Leatherman type tool, a 50 foot 10/3 outdoor rated extension cord, several pair of nitrile gloves, a small roll of shop towels, a folding front window shade, and a couple black trash bags.

Depending on the season, I may take a spray bottle of bug and tar remover. Much easier to deal with bug guts on the front of the car at the end of the day when they are fresh, rather than letting them bake into the finish until I get back home.

And finally, for any long car trip, a $99 subscription to FSD.
Yup that is probably the most of the time we will subscribe to FSD. We usually do CA to AZ roadtrips for family there.

Mostly tire stuff, that's about all you'll probably be able to deal with roadside anyway.

Now, I still keep a basic HF socket set and some other tools on hand in the subtrunk below the spare, but that's just for doing stuff not on the car. I can't count how many times I was able to "save the day" on something not car related at a friend's house, at church, etc. because I had them there, out in my car.

A multimeter (keep batteries removed until needed) and a flashlight also with batteries removed until needed. I've seen flashlights and multimeters destroyed by batteries that leaked and causes corrosion.

You will also need a long set of jumper cables in case your 12v battery dies, if you have a 12v car. I'm not sure what to do with 16v cars. If for some reason you run out of juice on a road trip and get towed to a supercharger, you won't be able to charge until you get your low voltage(12 or 16v) system online to power the computers first.

Reactions: ftrv8
I haven't carried a set of jumper cables in my car in over 50 years. I maintain my batteries by proactively replacing them BEFORE they fail.

I've never had a battery fail: Audi, VW, Ford, Honda, Toyota, Cadillac...and now Tesla.

Battery quality has gotten far worse over the years. In my line of work, I've seen a massive amount of warrantied battery jump in the last 10 years. Especially since we no longer have an lead smelters in the country, alot of the lead is recycled probably not as pure is my guess. I left my trunk open once and came back to a dead battery. Also, my son pressed the map light and we came back to a dead battery. It happens. I've also had to use my jumper cable to jump start someone else. There's no reason not to carry jumper cables in your car.

But the reason I say that is because once your Tesla's main traction battery drops to near zero, it'll stop charging the low voltage 12/16v battery. Your low voltage battery will also continue to drain. There have been people that have gotten their car towed but still couldn't charge at a supercharger until they also charge their low voltage battery.

If you plan right, this should never happen. But you never know if a supercharger station is down, or you hit some really bad weather and didn't adjust your trip accordingly. All of the sudden, you're out of range and need a tow.

You will also need a long set of jumper cables in case your 12v battery dies, if you have a 12v car. I'm not sure what to do with 16v cars. If for some reason you run out of juice on a road trip and get towed to a supercharger, you won't be able to charge until you get your low voltage(12 or 16v) system online to power the computers first.
Would one of those Lithium Ion jump starters work just as well? If so, they have the added benefits of not needing a 2nd car (perhaps a moot point if you were towed), and possibly being helpful to others who need a jump.

A multimeter (keep batteries removed until needed) and a flashlight also with batteries removed until needed. I've seen flashlights and multimeters destroyed by batteries that leaked and causes corrosion.

I think how it works is the 16V shuts itself down when it gets too low. The big battery does the same. They both have some left to give but it's not healthy.

You can liven up the 16 with a 12 enough to get the computer going to get into tow mode. After that I think you better be ready to charge if you need to do it again.

I think the trick would be to turn everything off in the way of accessories fans and lights PDQ if there is a range problem. That way the 12v system needn't get exhausted at the last of the range.

It's not a place I intend to visit but it would be good to understand it properly.

Not allowed for weenie Tesla batteries to jump an ICE motor. They are not high current starting batteries!!!

I don't think they even sanction jumping another EV.

I'm not suggesting you jump an ice car with your EV. I'm suggesting you need jumper cables to charge your low voltage battery from an ICE car, so it can start your computers and turn on the dc/dc converter to charge from the traction battery, as well as turn on the computer to allow the traction battery to charge.

My brother in law works at an auction, I had to educate him on getting a dead Tesla to move and take a charge.