Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Building a Toolkit for a Model Y road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone.

Im interested in what you would have in a must have road trip toolkit for your Tesla, particularly model Y.

I’ve got a compressor, a puncture repair kit and a small trolley Jack. But what about hand tools or anything else you can think of or have experience using or wishing you had with you.

Cheers

Terry

Hi everyone.

Im interested in what you would have in a must have road trip toolkit for your Tesla, particularly model Y.

I’ve got a compressor, a puncture repair kit and a small trolley Jack. But what about hand tools or anything else you can think of or have experience using or wishing you had with you.

Cheers

Terry
On my 28 day trip from Hobart to Perth and back I carried, in regards to hand tools:

- Air compressor (USB-C rechargeable)
- Tyre repair kit
- Set of various sized screwdrivers
- Set of various sized pliers
- Hook and pick set

That was it. No spare tyre, no pucks or jack.

Edit: My list is a lot longer, if you include charging and camping accessories etc. but I'll save that for another post!

Last edited:
TRAVEL/ROADTRIP LIST (Not Camping)

Drinking water bottle
Food bars in zip bag
Baby wipes for surfaces/hands
Paper towels
Four foot square drop tarp
Tesla tire repair kit
Space blanket
Rain umbrella
Latex/nitrile gloves for tire work
Jack pads
1/2” socket ratchet wrench
21mm non marring deep socket
2x size Phillips and regular screw drivers
Snip nose vice grips pliers
Water spray bottle for camera cleaning
Tesla UMC (contains 5-15 and 14-50 adapters)
CCS to NACS and J1771 to NACS adapters
12 gauge, 30 foot Extension cord
Tire repair plug set
First aid kit
Optional battery backup for charging smartphone
Optional Modern Spare tire kit
Optional wiper fluid
Optional replacement wipers
Optional flares
Option caution road reflector sign

what scebario do you use the hook and pick set for? or just in case?
Funnily enough that was from my last trip - which was Hobart to Canberra, which you would think would be an effortless drive :)

I arrived at the Canberra supercharger to find that it would refuse to charge. Red 'T' light with a message "No power available" or similar. Other cars were using the other stalls fine, and I had the same issue with all stalls. Even the AC destination charger at the nearby shopping centre failed.

(This was all at about 8.30pm, in winter, in the rain, by the way!)

I was able to see a bit of black plastic had broken off - presumably from the last charger I used, which would have been Gundagai SC - and got stuck around the earth pin in the charge port. There is a Bunnings right next door to the supercharger, and fortunately was open late - so that's where I bought the hook and pick set, which now lives in the car! Very stressful at the time. I'm just imagining if this had've occurred when I was somewhere remote! :-O