Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y tow hitch adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I ordered my model Y with the tow hitch. When I picked it up, they did not provide me with a tow hitch adapter, which they supposedly give the Model X owners who opt for a tow hitch. They told me there was a production delay and they would mail me the adapter. Just got a text from Tesla today that said they don't actually provide Model Y owners with the adapter, and I would need to buy my own. Seem very cheesy for a nearly $60k car and a $1k option.

Did anyone who bought a Model Y get a tow hitch adapter with the tow package?

What are you referring to as a tow hitch adapter? The model X doesn't have a fixed 2 inch hitch so when they buy the tow package they get the 2 inch hitch in a little box and can slot that in to use when towing. The model Y has a fixed 2 inch hitch. Remove the access panel on your Model Y and you will see a 2 inch receiver there. It doesn't come off like on the Model X.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Yeah, there is no removable part of the Model Y towing solution. So you provide your own ball adapter. (Which you had to do on the Model X as well.)

Or you can just put a bike rake or storage box in the receiver.

That makes sense guys. I didn't realize the X has a removable hitch adapter. When the dealership told me they gave the X owners an adapter with the car, I assume they were talking about the ball adapter.
I think there may be some terminology confusion here. The part of the hitch that sticks out from below the bumper and is an integral part of the entire hitch assembly that is bolted to the rear bumper is the “hitch receiver”; it has a square opening. Into that opening one inserts the “hitch ball”. The ball does not come with the X or the Y. The trailer tongue then attaches to the hitch ball.

And to add to your considerations .... The trailer should be level to the wheels, so any "hitch ball" needs to be purchased at a specific rise or drop to match the trailer's needs.
And the Bosal hitch used by Tesla on the X has a very specific rise limitation of just 0.75” above the top inner surface of the hitch receiver, if memory serves. Which can make it difficult to level some trailers.

Am very curious to know what the factory hitch is for the Y.

So I ordered my model Y with the tow hitch. When I picked it up, they did not provide me with a tow hitch adapter, which they supposedly give the Model X owners who opt for a tow hitch. They told me there was a production delay and they would mail me the adapter. Just got a text from Tesla today that said they don't actually provide Model Y owners with the adapter, and I would need to buy my own. Seem very cheesy for a nearly $60k car and a $1k option.

Did anyone who bought a Model Y get a tow hitch adapter with the tow package?
Which trailer ball mount did you go with?

Fred

I think there may be some terminology confusion here.

This might help. For North American markets:
Trailer-Hitch-Towing-Diagram-Rack-N-Road1.jpg
Parts_of_a_Trailer_Hitch_Diagram.jpg

Last edited: