Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Towing question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WHY????? would you want to go beyond a towing limit?

I'm sure many around us have taken chances with towing limits, but quoting Parcelgeek: "Everything is fine until it isn’t"

It's not just the liability, it's the potential for serious mayhem. If you survive THAT, then the liability issue looms.

More to the point. I've done a TON of towing (40k + miles), 2001, 2007 modified Toyota Odysseys (air shocks), Toyota Tundra with helper springs, towing close to the limit in all cases.

The short wheelbase of a Model Y would make me nervous as the weight increases.

Last edited:
Reactions: ATPMSD
We have a Model Y with factory installed tow package. I know the recommended limits. Has anyone towed slightly over the 3500 weight limit? If so by how much and with what results?
In my Y LR I have towed a boat that's 3000 lbs at speeds up to 45mph for up to 15 miles (to the gas station, lol!). No way would I ever go faster than that. It floats all over the place. (tongue load is correct!).

For long trips on the highway, I would not exceed roughly half of the rated load. I do this with all my tow rigs, even my old 2003 Dodge diesel 2500.

The closer to the tow limit you get, the more influence the trailer can put onto the car. When the weights get closer to equal, the threshold to instability is much lower.

Don't over load it for more than a couple smooth blocks at maybe 15-20 mph.

Reactions: Pianewman
Guys
about to do my first tow in the MYP with the Tesla hitch receiver, one or two axel uhaul box trailer, 650 miles
my prep equipment list (towing and tire repair kit, not my full road trip list):
7 pin trailer connector, 2" receiver/2" ball hitch bar, 30" flat top scissor jack and crank bar/4" compacted, flat ground plank for under the jack, jack pucks, 1/2 ratchet, 21mm non marring socket, snip nose pliers, tesla tire repair kit, tarp for ground, gloves, screw driver, screw plugs, tradition repair plug kit, 3x ground reflectors, head lamp, lock for back of the trailer
trailer hooked up check list: cross chains under the tow bar, test brake lights, check trailer tire pressure
logistics prep: expect energy consumption at approx 450-550 wh/mile, stay 65 mph and below for best results, use and plan with ABRP, look for trailer friendly tesla supercharging stops
know I can do Tesla roadside service if I get a flat, but just being prepared
know the Modern spare is a great option, but seeing if I can avoid the $500 purchase and inside space impact

please critique my lists, add/subtract, comment
appreciate all the help

Guys
about to do my first tow in the MYP with the Tesla hitch receiver, one or two axel uhaul box trailer, 650 miles
my prep equipment list (towing and tire repair kit, not my full road trip list):
7 pin trailer connector, 2" receiver/2" ball hitch bar, 30" flat top scissor jack and crank bar/4" compacted, flat ground plank for under the jack, jack pucks, 1/2 ratchet, 21mm non marring socket, snip nose pliers, tesla tire repair kit, tarp for ground, gloves, screw driver, screw plugs, tradition repair plug kit, 3x ground reflectors, head lamp, lock for back of the trailer
trailer hooked up check list: cross chains under the tow bar, test brake lights, check trailer tire pressure
logistics prep: expect energy consumption at approx 450-550 wh/mile, stay 65 mph and below for best results, use and plan with ABRP, look for trailer friendly tesla supercharging stops
know I can do Tesla roadside service if I get a flat, but just being prepared
know the Modern spare is a great option, but seeing if I can avoid the $500 purchase and inside space impact

please critique my lists, add/subtract, comment
appreciate all the help
Looking for help

Looks like a solid plan.

PS, really hard to read the lists, bullet points and paragraph breaks would help.

Have you taken a test drive fully loaded, to check consumption?
Thanks for the response
I watched rhe many videos and seems the MY consumes avg 464 kW/mile while towing
I will document and post what I learn from rhe trip