Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y trunk space question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello World,
We currently own a model 3 and a 3 series BMW sedan.
We have recently acquired lab puppy ( he is 5 months now) and have 5 passengers in the house.(2 adults and 2 kids that are going to hit their teens soon and a mother-in-law). The puppy now sits on the floor or in the centre seat behind when we are 4 in the car (90% of the time).
We were thinking of trading in our ICE for a used SUV. The ICE is used very little, i mean less than 5000kms a year). Another idea was to trade our Model 3 for a model Y.

You think a full grown lab would be comfortable in the trunk of a Model Y for say a 200 mile trip? Any other ideas/options?

Lab will be fine in the back of the Y. Get a Y and use a referral code (not yours as you don’t get double the points).

I can fit a 30”x24” wire crate in the back with seats up so without a crate or with a specific SUV crate, there’s plenty of room.

To contribute: go do a test drive if convenient. My only concern, albeit small, is where are your bags and things (for 5 people) going to go.

My general sentiment though is yes, the dog should be fine. A roof rack and or hitch rack could swap in to handle cargo.

Dog will be fine.

Our 2 greyhounds seem perfectly happy in the back together, so no concerns about one. They can't both fully stand and turn and move around all at the same time. But they can stand up and rearrange around each other. There's always a few minutes of negotiations about sleeping arrangements, then they settle down and are fine back there.

Here are a couple pics of our greyhounds in the back of the Y with seats up. Not a ton of height to stand, plenty of room to lay and be comfortable and adjust as-needed. Light colored guy on right is over 70lbs, brindle girl on left is like 65 lbs.

Biggest thing for us is a tether that hooks them to the back seat, so that while the back hatch slowly raises and lowers itself, they can't jump under it or run away. We put them in, hook up the tether, close the hatch, then release the tether from the back seat (it's really short so they can't turn with it hooked). Then when we're ready to get them out: reattach the tether from the back seat, open the hatch, grab leashes, unhook tether. We also stuffed pillows into the small side cargo areas, so that the dogs wont accidentally step down into them and break a leg. Would've preferred those have a lid, oh well.

97CF97EE-8B55-41A9-92B2-FF4F59734E0D.jpeg

F4563ABB-555F-43E4-AC1C-F9F4C2EF549B.jpeg

Recommend getting a Tesmanian cargo floor mat. WeatherTech doesn't make one for the Y yet and Tesmanian was less expensive. Fits like a glove. It's one piece but has a fold to allow it to be raised, so the back trunk hole (closest to back seats) is not very easy to reach with the mat but the trunk closest to the door (the larger of the 2) is easy to get to.

Agree on the recommendation to purchase Tesmanian cargo floor. Good value and I've been very happy with it. One of the reasons I got the Model Y was so my 50 pound black lab could go in the back which isn't an option in the Model 3.
Took him for his first ride recently and he did fine.

Here are a couple pics of our greyhounds in the back of the Y with seats up. Not a ton of height to stand, plenty of room to lay and be comfortable and adjust as-needed. Light colored guy on right is over 70lbs, brindle girl on left is like 65 lbs.

Biggest thing for us is a tether that hooks them to the back seat, so that while the back hatch slowly raises and lowers itself, they can't jump under it or run away. We put them in, hook up the tether, close the hatch, then release the tether from the back seat (it's really short so they can't turn with it hooked). Then when we're ready to get them out: reattach the tether from the back seat, open the hatch, grab leashes, unhook tether. We also stuffed pillows into the small side cargo areas, so that the dogs wont accidentally step down into them and break a leg. Would've preferred those have a lid, oh well.

View attachment 565316
View attachment 565315

Thank you so so much for the picture! Do you have a picture of them standing up looking over the back seat? We put one of ours in the back seat and the other in the trunk area. Also what are your thoughts on the AC getting back there to them! Great idea on the tethering them to the back seat so they don't jump out.

Attachments

• C0E56D5A-2417-4908-A4AE-D4E0DACD5516.jpeg
    C0E56D5A-2417-4908-A4AE-D4E0DACD5516.jpeg
    663.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 9A6B68B8-060E-4080-BDF4-4AF5CCBAA4F9.jpeg
    9A6B68B8-060E-4080-BDF4-4AF5CCBAA4F9.jpeg
    474.9 KB · Views: 80
Thank you so so much for the picture! Do you have a picture of them standing up looking over the back seat? We put one of ours in the back seat and the other in the trunk area. Also what are your thoughts on the AC getting back there to them! Great idea on the tethering them to the back seat so they don't jump out.

I don’t have any other pictures, but I can try to catch one? Honestly, they pretty much just lay down straight away. They can’t stand fully upright at the very back, but pretty close up at the seat. It’s definitely cozy for 2 dogs, but they’ve done fine on 30+min trips, like to the vet or a local hike. We went camping this weekend, 3 hour drive each way, and with 1 seat down, the other seat up, they had tons of space. Wouldn’t want to make them do 3 hours in just the back with no seats up though, that would be a little too cramped.

One in the backseat was how we did it with the Prius, but our requirement for this car was they needed to both be able to go into the back and free up the seat for humans.

I haven’t been concerned about AC, the windows and roof in the back do a great job rejecting heat in general. I do turn on the back seat vent to blow air back there for them, but have never had a concern about it. It seems to stay nice and cool throughout the car.