Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Tyres, difference between Tesla rated and standard?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i had a punture recently on my month old Model Y RWD. Tesla offered to replace the tyre for 365£ plus vat (if i remember it correctly). the OE tyre online is about 265£ ish but none in stock locally. so i bit the bullet and purchased Bridgestone Turanza T005 255/45 R19 104Y. the only difference between an EV and non EV tyre is the presence of acoustic foam lining the interior and also the EV tyres tend to have slighly beefed up side wall. the Turanza specs is better on paper compared to that of the Hankook. it has roll resistance rating of A, water handling A and sound noise 69 db. this is the pic of the bridgestone tyre. only issue is rim protrudes out 1/2 inch more.
Get rim insurance. Only two types of Tesla rims: those that have met a curb and those that have yet to meet a curb :-(

to be honest curb rash is not the problem now. i am used to the dimensions of the car by now and am confident enough to meander it through tight spaces and besides, i can easily fix the rash with sand paper and touch up paint if i curb it. my only gripe is the lack of the spare wheel. i wish tesla start offering loaner wheels for punctures in the UK. i really don't mind spending few bucks for the loaner than to buy what ever is available in haste.

my only gripe is the lack of the spare wheel

I haven't had a spare wheel in any car I've bought (new) in as long as I can remember ... 20 years maybe? Lot of weight to cart around.

Buy a tire and store it in the shed to avoid the "several days" delivery time? My solution is that I have other-season wheels, so at pinch I could use one (or a both-sides-pair), and I take one other-season-wheel as a spare, when we go long distance e.g. EU road trip.

There has also been some talk in the threads of skinny spare wheels that could be carried

Reactions: RajG
to be honest spare wheel was the last thing on my mind until the inevitable happened. picked up the vehicle on june 14th and had punture on 06 august. guess i was unlucky. i am seriously considering investing in a portable jack and tyre repair plug kit for emergency purposes.

i am seriously considering investing in a portable jack and tyre repair plug kit for emergency purposes.

I haven't had to use mine, but my expectation is that I will be able to (drive) rotate the wheel until the screw / nail is found, and then insert the plug without having to take the wheel off the car.

Finding the culprit probably the biggest problem ... in the garage they'd take it off the axel, pump it up massively, and stick it in a bowl of washing up liquid to see the bubbles ... even if I had a jack I wouldn't have the other bits!

maybe someone who has done it can tell me if that is likely?

I haven't had to use mine, but my expectation is that I will be able to (drive) rotate the wheel until the screw / nail is found, and then insert the plug without having to take the wheel off the car.

Finding the culprit probably the biggest problem ... in the garage they'd take it off the axel, pump it up massively, and stick it in a bowl of washing up liquid to see the bubbles ... even if I had a jack I wouldn't have the other bits!

maybe someone who has done it can tell me if that is likely?
good point, but the main problems arises if the screw is dislodged in the inner side of rear tyres. in this case the only option is to jack it. i keep saying the word jack as if i have tons of experience with it. in reality i havent touched one till date, 😆 . but this punture situation really gets me worried as i cannot rely on the scenario of get a new tyre when punture happens.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I need two new rears on my 19” Y. Hankook Ventus s1 Evo 3 is £215 each Mercedes fit and £285 Tesla. Really worth the extra £70 for some sound deadening? I think their is a gap in YouTube for someone to dissect these different tyres and work out the actual differences!

Would they fit a Mercedes tyre on a Tesla?

I need two new rears on my 19” Y. Hankook Ventus s1 Evo 3 is £215 each Mercedes fit and £285 Tesla. Really worth the extra £70 for some sound deadening? I think their is a gap in YouTube for someone to dissect these different tyres and work out the actual differences!

The MO (Mercedes) ones don’t appear to have the “EV” designation so this isn’t an apples vs apples comparison.

I put turanza t005 255/45 R19, which is a Mercedes OE tyre. It’s holding fine and I don’t see any sound difference.

to be honest curb rash is not the problem now. i am used to the dimensions of the car by now and am confident enough to meander it through tight spaces and besides, i can easily fix the rash with sand paper and touch up paint if i curb it. my only gripe is the lack of the spare wheel. i wish tesla start offering loaner wheels for punctures in the UK. i really don't mind spending few bucks for the loaner than to buy what ever is available in haste.
Road Hero bundle travels with me, always. Having been stuck in northern France on a Sunday with AA or Tesla Roadside unavailable, it's DIY for me.

At £80 per embarassment, I've gone with the Rimetrix covers...

Our rim rash is coming up to 4 years old. Hasn’t done any harm leaving it and we don’t notice it any more.

Like many car owners (and a view not shared by everyone), whilst it is not abused, it’s just a car and will pick some wear and tear over it’s life and don’t see the need to go fixing each one unless it’s going to cause problems.

For those on finance, or looking to sell, it’s probably best dealt with, if at all (3rd party may not be as negative about minor blemishes as you think), just prior to moving it on. I’m sure many will have had multiple scrapes so is going to be cheaper getting a job lot.

Our rim rash is coming up to 4 years old. Hasn’t done any harm leaving it and we don’t notice it any more.

Like many car owners (and a view not shared by everyone), whilst it is not abused, it’s just a car and will pick some wear and tear over it’s life and don’t see the need to go fixing each one unless it’s going to cause problems.

For those on finance, or looking to sell, it’s probably best dealt with, if at all (3rd party may not be as negative about minor blemishes as you think), just prior to moving it on. I’m sure many will have had multiple scrapes so is going to be cheaper getting a job lot.
the alloy tesla rims is made of is corrosive resistant. or in other words do not react to elements, so dont rust.

to be honest spare wheel was the last thing on my mind until the inevitable happened. picked up the vehicle on june 14th and had punture on 06 august. guess i was unlucky. i am seriously considering investing in a portable jack and tyre repair plug kit for emergency purposes.
I'm beginning to think this is a "lesson" built into every Tesla: forget their roadside promise. Same thing happened to me. AA guy came out and did the temp patch and told me to get a real internal patch within 50 miles (company policy). Importantly, he gave me the tip about the plastic wedge needed to get a Tesla high enough to get a jack under. Many sorts available on Amazon. Mine are blue and fit in the under boot ;-)

Attachments

• ramp.jpg
    ramp.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Informative
I'm beginning to think this is a "lesson" built into every Tesla: forget their roadside promise. Same thing happened to me. AA guy came out and did the temp patch and told me to get a real internal patch within 50 miles (company policy). Importantly, he gave me the tip about the plastic wedge needed to get a Tesla high enough to get a jack under. Many sorts available on Amazon. Mine are blue and fit in the under boot ;-)
ah that is interesting! so the AA do plug tesla tyres then! unfortunatley few of the tyre services i spoke to wouldnt patch the tesla tyres. they can only plug them. they dont want to get into the hassle of dealing with the acoustic foam.

ah that is interesting! so the AA do plug tesla tyres then! unfortunatley few of the tyre services i spoke to wouldnt patch the tesla tyres. they can only plug them. they dont want to get into the hassle of dealing with the acoustic foam.
That's kind of ridiculous, its an extra 20 seconds to cut out a little bit of foam and sand the area (which they really should do anyway for a patch)