Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Insurance Quotes Gone Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The best quote I can get is via Admiral Insurance for £930 including £200 voluntary excess on top of £500 compulsory (living in Greater London, 9 years NCB, No points, Male in 40s).
Screenshot 2022-01-25 at 09.16.35.png

Out of interest on the question about immobilizers and tracker I am guess the answer is Immobilizer - factory; tracker - no

also anyone used the little Box option before? always been nervous to do so.

Well, do you want telematics in your car or not?

If you have a black box, your driving is going to be monitored (everyone that drives the car) so if you aren't confident about your ability to moderate your inputs (steering, acceleration, braking, etc) then you might find you get kicked off. I believe it also weights your score based on the time of day you drive - presumably commuting times and night times are worse, and journey lengths.

Interesting. You've gone for Admiral LittleBox which requires black box telematics. That reduces my quote by around £200 but I was really unsure of going down that route. Might up my voluntary excess to bring the quote down.

Honestly didn't spot that.

Screenshot 2022-01-25 at 09.42.52.png

Without the tracker...

I'm already with Admiral so was just going to phone them up and see what they quote me.

Good question here , what is everyone putting for the

- Alarm and immobolizer
- Tracking

🤔
Just got off a web chat with Tesla raising these questions.

-Alarm and immobilizer - Not Thatcham approved
-Tracking - Yes (sim card based)

However, I am sure I read on another thread that some of us were obtaining quotes for other models stating Thatcham Approved Alarm and Immobilizer!

My son has always had a Telematics 'Black box' in his car since passing his test, he's now 23 and we can't get rid of it quick enough!

I have been driving his car since i sold mine and have been waiting for the Model Y to be delivered. I find it stressful to be honest, you constantly have to watch the speedo, you simply can't speed. If you speed 3 times in a month your insurance can be cancelled. Time of day is a factor, you are marked down if you drive at rush hour or late at night. Smooth drive is a factor, it is impossible to reach a decent score - you find yourself hoping that you don't have to brake suddenly, pull away from a roundabout quickly or go over any speed bumps.
The worst part is impatient drivers constantly tailgating you because you are forced to drive at the speed limit. Every journey is the same, at some point someone will drive very close behind you trying to push you into going faster.

Overall I find it a massive distraction when you are driving, however without doubt it slows you down, as I said before you simply can't go over the speed limit at all any of the time, you are being watched and monitored whenever you drive.

However, I am sure I read on another thread that some of us were obtaining quotes for other models stating Thatcham Approved Alarm and Immobilizer!

Thank you for asking.

On the tracking, does the sim card base mean only those with the prem connectivity (£10 month thing?).

My son has always had a Telematics 'Black box' in his car since passing his test, he's now 23 and we can't get rid of it quick enough!

I have been driving his car since i sold mine and have been waiting for the Model Y to be delivered. I find it stressful to be honest, you constantly have to watch the speedo, you simply can't speed. If you speed 3 times in a month your insurance can be cancelled. Time of day is a factor, you are marked down if you drive at rush hour or late at night. Smooth drive is a factor, it is impossible to reach a decent score - you find yourself hoping that you don't have to brake suddenly, pull away from a roundabout quickly or go over any speed bumps.
The worst part is impatient drivers constantly tailgating you because you are forced to drive at the speed limit. Every journey is the same, at some point someone will drive very close behind you trying to push you into going faster.

Overall I find it a massive distraction when you are driving, however without doubt it slows you down, as I said before you simply can't go over the speed limit at all any of the time, you are being watched and monitored whenever you drive.
That is a big fat 'NO' from me then.

Reactions: Campi

Also a NO from me. Whilst I am one to drive within the speed limit and safely, the concept of driving a Tesla with a device that monitors and ultimately discourages acceleration seems pointless. The reverse of paying for acceleration boost!

I wonder when Tesla's 'partner' Insurance company Direct Line will start quoting, Model Y still not on their system
"Soon" was the message I got from Web Chat regarding partner insurance.. They weren't aware that other insurance providers had gone live this morning regarding Model Y insurance quotes. They have been beaten to it by non-partner insurance companies it would seem

Reactions: PeteB

I don't think Tesla go in for those approvals.. that costs money. As far as tracking goes, it's really up to the insurance company what they call a tracker. LV are quite accepting of almost anything, for example, but I've heard of some that limit it to certain 3rd party manufacturers.

But I also doubt that insurance companies are using these inputs from comparethemarket etc. in any way - they know exactly what the car shipped with, they'll have used it for their evaluation of insurance rates. That kind of question only makes sense if you're talking about an old car with an added 3rd party alarm.

Reactions: Squidge and dog299
I ran a quote through Money Supermarket earlier, this what they automatically assume the car has in terms of alarm & tracker :
  • The car
    TESLA MODEL-Y
    2022 Electric 0.0L Automatic 5 doors LONG RANGE Hatchback

• We think this car:
    • Is right hand drive
    • Has 5 seats
    • Has no tracker device fitted
    • Has no alarm
    • Is not imported

Status
Not open for further replies.