Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Impossible to get quote for insurance on new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have Telsa Insurance for our 2020 Model Y for 3+ years now here in California. Next week, we take delivery of a new 2023 Model Y and will sell the 2020 Model. The only way to get a quote on a new policy is to call Tesla Insurance, but hold time are over an hour (or longer). Unacceptable! Looks like Tesla Insurance will not only lose a customer, but also will never gain new customers in California since it's impossible to get a new quote!

We have Telsa Insurance for our 2020 Model Y for 3+ years now here in California. Next week, we take delivery of a new 2023 Model Y and will sell the 2020 Model. The only way to get a quote on a new policy is to call Tesla Insurance, but hold time are over an hour (or longer). Unacceptable! Looks like Tesla Insurance will not only lose a customer, but also will never gain new customers in California since it's impossible to get a new quote!
The hold times are ridiculous. They need to get a lot more staffing for the call center. I have never held for less than an hour at different times during the week.

AAA insured mine.

Reactions: RayB
Maybe bc we’re trading in the one already on the policy and adding a new one? Not sure
Yes. Probably because of this. You can still show your current policy to Tesla to pick up the car and call them to add new car to current policy and remove old car from current policy within 30 days. Call them early in the morning, or maybe in the late afternoon when there are less callers. Leave the phone speaker on to hear the answer and do other things.

It won’t let you do it through the app for some reason. The app tells you to call the phone number. And I was also on hold today for over an hour.
I was in the app yesterday, and the button to purchase, with an effective date was there, but I'm still shopping. Did the app tell you to call when you hit "purchase ?" I had fed in coverage adjustments and matched whet I have now

The app is pretty useless for insurance. I accidentally put in a driver's birth date wrong. Then it told me to call (not gonna hold online for over an hour). I cannot correct the error or even delete the quote request. No way to fix it.

Reactions: baguette
The app is pretty useless for insurance. I accidentally put in a driver's birth date wrong. Then it told me to call (not gonna hold online for over an hour). I cannot correct the error or even delete the quote request. No way to fix it.
Just wait until you have to do something actually important, like get them to fix a wrecked car. I find it completely mind boggling that people are willing to risk being insured with this company.

Reactions: RayB and baguette