Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Vibration while acceleration / regeneration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BR7!

May 27, 2021
NC
Picked up MY LR two weeks ago and noticed vibration while driving on highway. Set up an appointment and SC did wheel balancing. It was not completely resolved and got worse in a few days. Did a second appointment with SC and they did road force balance, they said the foam inside tire is in place. I still have the vibration. The key point is the vibration happens during acceleration / regeneration after I hit 60 mph.

anyone has suggestions on how to fix this? the car has close to 500 miles on it.

Has the service center taken a ride with you so you can demonstrate the issue to them. Maybe a bad cv axle? That stinks that your car is having issues so soon good luck?

at Least have them note it or keep your conversations so if it causes more damage they will cover it. Maybe

Reactions: BR7!
Picked up MY LR two weeks ago and noticed vibration while driving on highway. Set up an appointment and SC did wheel balancing. It was not completely resolved and got worse in a few days. Did a second appointment with SC and they did road force balance, they said the foam inside tire is in place. I still have the vibration. The key point is the vibration happens during acceleration / regeneration after I hit 60 mph.

anyone has suggestions on how to fix this? the car has close to 500 miles on it.
Hello BR7!,

I have been facing a mystery vibration issue for months now. The local SC has also performed a wheel balance but did not resolve the problem. Even on smooth/rough roads the car vibrates. I notice my vibration around 55+ mph on any type of roads. Couple days ago I drove 90+ mph (Just as a test not regular driving) and my car shakes, almost feels like it is about to fall apart. My Audi and Honda stay planted and do not shake when driving this fast. I have not bent a rim, never hit a major pothole, dont have any flat spots, etc. I am at 11,000 miles currently but these problems should not be occurring so early!

Kee_Chain: Sorry to call you out, but you stated in another post that the vibration occurred early on, but you put 10k miles on the tires before bringing it to the attention of the SC.

I don't think it's right to compare your issue withBR7!, but...this is the internet, not face-to-face, so it's impossible to get a fully accurate evaluation. :D

Both of you should have tires/wheels checked out by a 3rd party. IMHO, 99% of vibration issues are tire/wheel related, rarely a defective drive shaft or anything dramatic in the drivetrain.

Hope this will solve your problems.

(If y'all don't already know it, ANY tire/wheel vibration will ALWAYS get worse over time, especially after 10k miles, and usually will ruin the tire!;))

Kee_Chain: Sorry to call you out, but you stated in another post that the vibration occurred early on, but you put 10k miles on the tires before bringing it to the attention of the SC.

I don't think it's right to compare your issue withBR7!, but...this is the internet, not face-to-face, so it's impossible to get a fully accurate evaluation. :D

Both of you should have tires/wheels checked out by a 3rd party. IMHO, 99% of vibration issues are tire/wheel related, rarely a defective drive shaft or anything dramatic in the drivetrain.

Hope this will solve your problems.

(If y'all don't already know it, ANY tire/wheel vibration will ALWAYS get worse over time, especially after 10k miles, and usually will ruin the tire!;))
You can call me out, I am just sharing my experience. Even with 11k miles on these tires, their is no excuse for vibration problems. I have owned many high end vehicles and put well over 100k miles on them and not vibration issues. The SC is aware of the issue before hand but if you read my other threads, they demanded a service fee without telling me it can be waived under warranty. I baby my car's acceleration, no signs of flat spots, uneven tread wear, bent rim, unbalanced tires, etc... Not sure who you are to say I cant compare and share my issues with a fellow concerned owner.

You can NOT drive any tire, with a notable vibration, on any vehicle, high-end or entry level, for 10,000 miles without damaging the tires.

Reality.

I hope you and the OP solve your vibration issues. The OP should require a proper tire/wheel balance. You might need to replace a tire, or more.

Last edited:
Kee_Chain: I apologize. I over reacted. Your story IS valid for the OP, so that he can find a solution for the vibration issue NOW and not wait 10k miles while assuming it will go away.
Thank you for trying to help out a fellow forum member.

Last edited:
IDEAS - YMMV
1. Tire under-inflated. check each manually, not with TPMS. Tire balance or tire uneven tread (thicker/thinner tread area)(these EV tires can have imperfections).
BTW I've seen this tread issue particularly in Yamaha SUV tires. Difficult to diagnose, impossible to fix. Tire is heavier in some areas than others.
2. Wheel out of round. Beg a spare wheel/tire from Tesla Service Center to try on each corner, one by one.
3. Loose suspension piece (s). Nut and bolt the corner that seems to be the problem, if you can determine that. (tighten all nuts and bolts)(and those at top of strut, while lifted)
4. Wheel bearing bad. You can test this by jacking up the corner and pulling on the wheel top/bottom.. It shouldn't move those ways.
While unlikely, if the bearing was installed wrong, it would also behave like you've described. They're a press-fit. Can be done incompletely.
5. Half axle (CV joint) bad. Unlikely but it's an easter egg hunt, try everything. Listen for grinding noise under acceleration and possibly braking.

Tangible1: I agree with all of your thoughts. However, since Tesla SC service is notoriously inconsistent, I still believe both the OP and Key_Chain should start with the easiest, and least expensive, analysis. Tire/wheel balance, third party, NOT Tesla SC.

You may want to add loose form in the tire to the list.
I'm guessing you meant 'loose foam' inside the tire. That's a possibility. Might be caught during balancing, might not.
One way to check it - rotate the wheels/tires in twos. Swap one front to one back. Then the other side.
If the problem moves corner to corner, you've got an issue with the wheel/tire.
If not, looking for bearings / half axle CVs. Or loose nuts/bolts.

• Funny
Reactions: BR7! and AlexHung
Update: after exchange of some mean texts with the service over the app, they agreed to work with me to identify the problem. They said its an issue with the drive train and want to take a deeper look.

Timeline so far:
SC appt 1 - Wheel balanced, did not solve the vibration
SC appt 2 - Did road force balance and found issues with the tire, which they fixed. Again did not solve the problem
SC appt 3 - Taking a deeper look into the drive train for the issue

Last edited:
Update: after exchange of some mean texts with the service over the app, they agreed to work with me to identify the problem. They said its an issue with the drive train and want to take a deeper look.

Timeline so far:
SC appt 1 - Wheel balanced, did not solve the vibration
SC appt 2 - Did road force balance and found issues with the tire, which they fixed. Again did not solve the problem
SC appt 3 - Taking a deeper look into the drive train for the issue
if you know a good alignment shop, try them too. or get a recommendation for one.
this issue needs a 3rd party look. Tesla ain't cutting it.