Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y vs 3 Comparision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I admire this. <3

Do we know if it is to scale on the Tesla site?
Unclear, but the image size are at the same pixel count, while Model Y occupies more space than Model 3.

It's possible they used the same setup(focal length, position etc) to take these pictures, but still it could be just a random resize by the web designer as well.

If we assume Model 3 and Model Y has exactly the same wheelbase, I got this:
my_vs_m3_resized.png

Reactions: Carl_Drogo

I like that page. It starts our using the term "station wagon", which is what I grew up in. When I get confused about all the new fangled terms in use today I just picture a station wagon and compare that to the vehicle I'm looking at.

Interesting, but not surprising, that some like the Y and some don't. Does anyone remember when Elon stated that the Y would be built on a different platform from the 3.... then a few days later, after apparently getting an earful from one or more stressed out board or management team people, characterized the new platform idea as insane, and re-stated that the Y would be built on the 3 platform.

Which may inform as to Y the Y is what it is. (sorry. I saw MXWing do the Y word play and couldn't help myself)

An Outlander is a Crossover, a car based form of an SUV. The Model Y is a Crossover.

A crossover is a vehicle with SUV styling features that is based on a passenger car platform. The early crossovers resembled small SUVs or large wagons.[1] Crossovers have ride, handling, performance and fuel economy characteristics similar to cars[2][3] and are only intended for light off-road use.[ Source: Crossover (automobile) - Wikipedia

Does anyone remember when Elon stated that the Y would be built on a different platform from the 3.... then a few days later, after apparently getting an earful from one or more stressed out board or management team people, characterized the new platform idea as insane, and re-stated that the Y would be built on the 3 platform.

Just for clarity. Musk announced the Model Y "new platform" thing during the Q1 Earnings Call in May of 2017. He reversed course at the next earnings call 3 months later in August of the same year.

After getting over my surprise that it is just a higher and slightly bigger 3, I decided I liked it and I think it'll be a raving success.

Having said that, we won't get it which is what I'd been anticipating as we want a boxier SUV with chunky dimensions, big tyres and great ground clearance. We live off piste on a farm....the pick up truck will then again be a step too far! Maybe.....

So we wait to see if Tesla can deliver what we want or do we go elsewhere?

I think Tesla would have done themselves a favor by calling this a version of the 3 (Max; Sportback or whatever) and kept the Y moniker for a real SUV - still with 3 mechanicals, just a more practical design.

Maybe Elon was just too keen to become S3XY quicker......

Everyone says they want something chunkier. But what would those same people say when the design means a max range of only 250mi? If I occasionally need the extra storage I’ll put a roof box on the top and take the range hit. But day to day I don’t need that storage so this design makes more sense 90% of the time.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
A bit of size comparison I just did:
View attachment 388068
This was based on the stock photo taken from the ordering pages, they might be from slightly different perspective, so comparison might be off a little bit in the rear, also if the pictures are of the same scale, they suggest Model Y has a slightly longer wheelbase, but it could be not true at all.
So, just FYI,

I don't believe the scale is correct here. Both cars share 18" wheels, but the wheels on the 3 in your comparison are clearly smaller. You need to scale the Y down or the 3 up in order to match the wheel sizes.

EDIT: I now see your second comparison. The wheelbase is likely the same between the two cars, but the easiest way to match the images is to exactly match the wheel sizes, since we know they are the same.

I don't believe the scale is correct here. Both cars share 18" wheels, but the wheels on the 3 in your comparison are clearly smaller. You need to scale the Y down or the 3 up in order to match the wheel sizes.

EDIT: I now see your second comparison. The wheelbase is likely the same between the two cars, but the easiest way to match the images is to exactly match the wheel sizes, since we know they are the same.
I looked at the safety features picture of the body in white, and it appears they might have the same wheel base.(rear sub frames are very different so it’s a bit hard to tell, Model Y has many extruded parts there, aluminum?) So my second picture should be more realistic.

Interesting detail I noticed, although they have the same wheels, Model Y seems to have larger tires on it. Couldn’t find any pictures clear enough to show tire size to confirm though.

By not moving it that far. It's the same as on my Model S, they put it in front of the liftgate. So like in your house when you add a window you have to put a header above it so the weight of the 2x4s above is transmitted around it. I am sure they added a bit of extra metal tying the B pillar to the A and C pillars. The pillars themselves were already strong enough.

-Randy

This is a proper overlay comparison... click on pix to enlarge.

DD5BF01B-CA17-4889-BB6E-0380A049B560.jpeg

All things being equal, I perfectly aligned the diameter of the front 20" wheel on both the Model-P3 and Model-PY cars. That's why the front wheel looks sharp in the pix even though it's made up of 2 overlapping pictures. Therefore all the other dimensions should be pretty close. (I used Tesla's renderings, which are normally generated directly off their CAD system, so they're accurate to each other.)

The overlap clearly shows the center of the rear wheel on the Y extending further to the rear than the 3 by approx. 2"-3" according to my software. How else are they going to get that third row of seats in the Y and still have cargo space? When entered into my software, the Y has a longer wheelbase and most likely has a wider track as well. They may share the same platform, but that doesn't necessarily mean they share the same wheelbase & track dimensions. No one will know for sure until Tesla releases the full specs.

This is a proper overlay comparison... click on pix to enlarge.

View attachment 389995

All things being equal, I perfectly aligned the diameter of the front 20" wheel on both the Model-P3 and Model-PY cars. That's why the front wheel looks sharp in the pix even though it's made up of 2 overlapping pictures. Therefore all the other dimensions should be pretty close. (I used Tesla's renderings, which are normally generated directly off their CAD system, so they're accurate to each other.)

The overlap clearly shows the center of the rear wheel on the Y extending further to the rear than the 3 by approx. 2"-3" according to my software. How else are they going to get that third row of seats in the Y and still have cargo space? When entered into my software, the Y has a longer wheelbase and most likely has a wider track as well. They may share the same platform, but that doesn't necessarily mean they share the same wheelbase & track dimensions. No one will know for sure until Tesla releases the full specs.

I think the Y looks too big here. Like you said, we won’t know until dimensions are announced.