Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Wiper Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks. When I test drove the model three I noticed that the wipers really sucked. when I did a spray it just kind of drizzle down towards the bottom of it and didn’t get the whole window. Are the Model Y wipers as bad? Or did I get a lemon test drive vehicle. I have seen threads on Facebook that mention the spray goes on the bottom only. Have you all seen this problem as well? I ordered last week so thinking I should check this when I take delivery.

Thanks

Are they as bad, I can't say since I didn't see what you were seeing. That being said, the wipers (and the washers) are one of my biggest gripes. They only spray at the bottom of the path and don't do a very good job at clearing away bug guts. I need to get myself some of that Bug Cleaning Wiper Fluid that I used to use when I last had a car that didn't clean it's windows very well. And note, this isn't really a problem for in city and around town driving, but depending where you are in the country and what time of year, out on the highway can be a royal pain. Also not sure if different blades would help.

Model 3 and Y distribute wiper fluid from a flexible hose on the wiper arm to nozzles along the blade. Thus no spray, just liquid along the swept area of the rubber wiper blade. So don't be looking for spray nozzles under the lip of the hood or the like.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
The wipers on Y and 3 are pretty bad. Maybe designed for sunny California... oh but I heard they get rain there too. Here in upstate NY winters lots of salt spray from trucks etc. If there is lots of water, they work fine, but it is when there is light road spray which dries on the windshield and you need that car sprayer to work (including for safety) it certainly has a substandard performance. Especially in the lower left on the drivers side. Possibly partly the blades, but the care is only two months old!

• Informative
Reactions: DeepFrz and ahcpa
Are they as bad, I can't say since I didn't see what you were seeing. That being said, the wipers (and the washers) are one of my biggest gripes. They only spray at the bottom of the path and don't do a very good job at clearing away bug guts. I need to get myself some of that Bug Cleaning Wiper Fluid that I used to use when I last had a car that didn't clean it's windows very well. And note, this isn't really a problem for in city and around town driving, but depending where you are in the country and what time of year, out on the highway can be a royal pain. Also not sure if different blades would help.

IIRC the owner's manual says to avoid washer fluid that has bug cleaning properties.

My MY was delivered just before Thanksgiving just in time for all the snow. I usually like to change my wipers right after winter and usually blades on a new car will last nearly two years. That was the plan anyways... but I couldn't stand how terrible the stock blades were. I ended up swapping to PIAA blades - they're in a different league. Nothing can be done about the fluid unfortunately. Though, I did find that if I push the fluid button intermittently only when the blades hit the bottom and release when it starts the downstroke, it wastes a lot less fluid.

does anyone have a wiper mod to make it spray? it comes out in a drizzle gush that wastes fluid and doesnt clean well
the old wipers have just one spray nozzle which really sucks. the new ones have 2 nozzles and spray well. the mobile guy came out and replaced mine with a 2 nozzle spray arm free of charge because tesla knows it's an issue but likely won't change anything unless you complain

Hard to say - you should be able to easily check the wiper arms though. I also had a late Nov 2021 delivery and mine has the new sprayers. As with anythign new Tesla rolls out, there will be a period of time when both the old and new parts will be shipping simultaneously.

the old wipers have just one spray nozzle which really sucks. the new ones have 2 nozzles and spray well. the mobile guy came out and replaced mine with a 2 nozzle spray arm free of charge because tesla knows it's an issue but likely won't change anything unless you complain
I have had this problem of grime and blurriness on my Model Y for the last year. Early 2021 MY. The bottom left of the driver side windshield doesn't wipe, it smears and blurs all the grime no matter how much windsheild wiper fluid I use. I put in a fix request and Tesla told me this is just how the wiper wipes. But I have a serious concern about driving my Model Y at night during the winter, it smears the bottom left so bad that with light reflection I can barely see, usually have to put the car on auto pilot so I can safely keep driving since I can't see. Tesla replaced my wipers at a cost of $85 and it made no difference. How did you get them to fix yours and do this update? So disappointed with Tesla.