Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y won’t charge on supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a road trip from Austin to Houston, I learned my Tesla Model Y would not charge at a supercharger, bad timing! I was able to get it into a service center but they weren’t able to fix it in time, so I had to leave it in Houston and will need to make the trip back once it’s fixed (6 hour round trip!) The rep at Tesla told me this can happen if you don’t use a supercharger regularly. I always charge at home with my Tesla wall charger, I’ve used a supercharger a handful of times the 3 years I’ve had the car. If this is a true statement, I would think the car would notify me that I needed to use a supercharger.

So…. Has anyone else had this problem?

Makes me never want to drive a Tesla on a road trip ever again.
Never heard of this issue before.

They are supposed to test this at the factory but every once in a while the direct DC connection to the battery fails. The AC to DC converter path works fine but DCFC does not. Rare but it happens.
I'm actually having this issue with my model 3. It gives a single blue light when connecting to the supercharger. Then the display says ready to charge. After a minute it shows unable to charge... no power at station.

Currently awaiting to hear from Tesla "technical team" tomorrow.

If anyone has already seen this and knows what had to be repaired to fix it... I would be forever grateful to know.

I've been wracking my brain on it for days now, scouring the net... nothing yet for me.

Attachments

• 20231103_032255.jpg
    20231103_032255.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 32
If anyone has already seen this and knows what had to be repaired to fix it... I would be forever grateful to know.

The OP of this thread you bumped up said what Tesla replaced for their car in this thread:
Hi there, the Tesla service center replaced 2 parts (ASY,CHARGE PORT CONTROLLER GEN4 & ASY,FC CONTACTOR,HVBAT,MDL3).

This coincides with another post I found that stated the charge port ecu was replaced! Mentions a bad batch being out in early 2022. My car is from September of 22.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231105_212542_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231105_212542_Gallery.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 16
This coincides with another post I found that stated the charge port ecu was replaced! Mentions a bad batch being out in early 2022. My car is from September of 22.

One of the posters in that thread is also a member here (or at least the same user name, as many people tend to do online)

@Hurricane4911 is a member here.

EDIT... looking closer it looks like that might actually be a thread here? I dont browse TMC via mobile (only computer) so it looks different to me but looks like it could be TMC.

Yessir!! That's right... Was definitely from a post I found in these this forum!

I'm not kidding about my brain having to figure why things don't work. I think it was 3 days ago this has happened. Every free moment I've had since then, has been spent scouring the Internet for clues.

I absolutely loooove the idea of being able to take care of the car myself whenever warranty is expired! Service manual literally gives the step by step instructions on how to do the repairs. A free Haynes manual so to speak! Tesla doesn't mark up their parts. Paying them $165 to run diagnostics is a no brainier out of warranty for anyone that's a hands on, diy, type of character.

If I wasn't under warranty... Id have paid that diagnostics and ran it within mins if arriving at home that first morning. I have a deeply set need to understand the how and why if it all.. for the sole purpose of being able to take as many steps as possible moving forward to prevent same things from repeating themselves.

Built my entire home myself.. land clearing, septic, foundation, wiring, plumbing, framing, siding, insulation, drywall finishes, furniture.. ect. If my two hands didn't do it.. it didn't get done. Not me and a buddy either. Just me. 2x10x16's no sweat. 500lb curved laminated beam for arched cieling... easy breezy.
Very impressive!! 👍🏻