Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I assume that the M3P 2022 doesn't get the new 3D6 Hairpin motor with the 16kW higher power limit from the MYP 2021.
Are you thinking this means the MYP over there will both have a higher output on the front motor, and higher on the rear with the new hairpin motor?

Do you know if the new battery pack is going to support a higher draw as well? A bit curious if this new LG battery pack increases peak output too, or if it's still going to be the limiting factor.

Just picked up a '21 a couple of months ago, but if these new revisions are significant, I'll eat a $5k loss and upgrade again lol.

I asked a similar question in a different thread - but, not expecting it to be carbon sleeved. Tesla said the carbon sleeves are mostly to reduce expansion during high rpm to support the 200mph limit. The model 3 will never be cranked up that high, so it's not a concern.
After looking at a disassembly video of the Model S Plaid front motor it is absolutely clear, that it still has conventional (fractional slot) windings in the stator. It is an evolution of the 3D1 motor which was used in the Model S Performance 2020 as front motor and Model 3 Performance as rear motor.

Once this Model S Plaid motor is certified in Europe I am pretty sure wit will be called 3D2 (like 3D1 v2).

The Asian/European Model 3 Performance will get the 3D6 Performance Hairpin Motor which is a different evolution of the 3D1 motor -> No plaid technology in the Model 3 Performance 2022.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Sam1
Are you thinking this means the MYP over there will both have a higher output on the front motor, and higher on the rear with the new hairpin motor?
No, the front motor stays at the power limit of the LR with boost, as it has been all along and it doesnt have a hairpin stator either.
See this rough overview I have quickly created in Excel:
MotorPower.jpg

Do you know if the new battery pack is going to support a higher draw as well? A bit curious if this new LG battery pack increases peak output too, or if it's still going to be the limiting factor.
The LG Packs have a more shallow voltage curve, which results in more power at the lower SoC end. Their chemistry also allows for more power at colder cell temperature. I dont think the peak power will be higher overall, but there might be more power over the SoC / temperature scale than before.
The current M3P with the Panasonic 3L 82kWh starts to drop in peak power below 75-70% and also if the cells are below 15° (or in that ball park).

Just picked up a '21 a couple of months ago, but if these new revisions are significant, I'll eat a $5k loss and upgrade again lol.
If you are based in Nevada (?) then you will not get this LG 5L 79kWh battery pack, but you might get a 2022 Performance with the same peak power limits (+16kW). The US updates are far less certain by the looks of it.

Attachments

• MotorPower.jpg
    MotorPower.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 940
  • Informative
No, the front motor stays at the power limit of the LR with boost, as it has been all along and it doesnt have a hairpin stator either.
View attachment 743527

The LG Packs have a more shallow voltage curve, which results in more power at the lower SoC end. Their chemistry also allows for more power at colder cell temperature. I dont think the peak power will be higher overall, but there might be more power over the SoC / temperature scale than before.
The current M3P with the Panasonic 3L 82kWh starts to drop in peak power below 75-70% and also if the cells are below 15° (or in that ball park).

If you are based in Nevada (?) then you will not get this LG 5L 79kWh battery pack, but you might get a 2022 Performance with the same peak power limits (+16kW). The US updates are far less certain by the looks of it.
Thanks for the detailed info.

For clarity, I believe @MountainPass or someone was saying that they are recording about 25hp more on the existing MYP front motor than the existing M3P front motor puts out. That's why I was inquiring on getting the extra 25hp + the potential gains for the new rear hairpin motor.

Last edited:
For clarity, I believe @MountainPass or someone was saying that they are recording about 25hp more on the existing MYP front motor than the existing M3P front motor puts out. That's why I was inquiring on getting the extra 25hp + the potential gains for the new rear hairpin motor.
The last dyno I saw from them was from mid 2020 with the MYP 2020. I remember it was putting around 20hp more on the wheels (compared to M3P), which is in line with the documentation in Europe that says the MY get around 16kW more power than the M3. I wasnt aware that this is supposed to come from the front motor. According to European type certification the front motor is always the same 3D3 Motor with 158kW peak power.
The highest front power that I've logged in in Scan my Tesla on M3P 2021 was 190kW, but then this is probably not accurate.
The Model Y Performance is not available in Europe yet. I will surely do some comparisons once it arrives.

Here is an update with some additions and one correction:

MotorPower.jpg

What would be significant about these upgrades? let's assume that the M3P gets a new rear motor and higher output battery (16kw)? how much of a change would that make to the current M3P? Faster 0-60? if so 1/10th - 2/10ths? faster 60-130? j

View attachment 743527

In the last section of your post, you talk about (+16kW) is this with the MYP? Are you saying that there is an option for tesla to increase the performance of the 2022 M3P? because i've watched videos of the MYP pulling harder at the top end than the M3P... If that is correct and the motors and rear end are the same then why would Tesla make a MYP faster on the top end? I would think (just my assumption) that Tesla would want the M3P to be faster all around?? Also, you see to have a vast amount of knowledge in this area. May i ask what you do? Lastly, do you think Tesla will push an update in 2022 to increase the power output for the 2022 M3P? Thanks!

What would be significant about these upgrades? let's assume that the M3P gets a new rear motor and higher output battery (16kw)? how much of a change would that make to the current M3P? Faster 0-60? if so 1/10th - 2/10ths? faster 60-130? j
No one will actually know until we get something in the wild to test.

let's assume that the M3P gets a new rear motor and higher output battery (16kw)?
Its just an increased software limit. The 3D1 (3D6 hairpin has the same limit) performance motor is available with three power limits
  • 219kW (M3P initial release)
  • 239kW (M3P and SR LFP after 2x 5% OTA increase)
  • 255kW (MYP and SR LFP)
how much of a change would that make to the current M3P? Faster 0-60? if so 1/10th - 2/10ths? faster 60-130?
You are probably right. 0,1s faster to 60mph/100kph and more power at higher speeds.
In the last section of your post, you talk about (+16kW) is this with the MYP?
This is an increase of the M3P rear motor to the MYP power limits. They should have equal power figures from 2022.
because i've watched videos of the MYP pulling harder at the top end than the M3P
Yes, that makes sense, as the 3D3 induction front motor quickly loses power with speed, but the 3D1/3D6 permanent magnet rear motor keeps up the pull almost linear. Since the rear motor currently has 16kW more power over the whole curve, you see this benefit increase at higher speeds, when the front motor has dropped. For reference, this is a 0-200kph pull of a M3P 2021 showing battery power, front power and rear power.
  • The orange front motor has its peak power later, but quickly drops afterwards
  • The grey rear motor peaks early, but then pulls very linear. This curve should be 16kW higher in 2022.
  • The blue line is battery power, which shows that peak combined power is highest at around 90kph.
1a41378dbc7a3e62147bce786fd50546f60e3d12.jpeg

Its just an increased software limit. The 3D1 (3D6 hairpin has the same limit) performance motor is available with three power limits
  • 219kW (M3P initial release)
  • 239kW (M3P and SR LFP after 2x 5% OTA increase)
  • 255kW (MYP and SR LFP)

You are probably right. 0,1s faster to 60mph/100kph and more power at higher speeds.

This is an increase of the M3P rear motor to the MYP power limits. They should have equal power figures from 2022.

Yes, that makes sense, as the 3D3 induction front motor quickly loses power with speed, but the 3D1/3D6 permanent magnet rear motor keeps up the pull almost linear. Since the rear motor currently has 16kW more power over the whole curve, you see this benefit increase at higher speeds, when the front motor has dropped. For reference, this is a 0-200kph pull of a M3P 2021 showing battery power, front power and rear power.
  • The orange front motor has its peak power later, but quickly drops afterwards
  • The grey rear motor peaks early, but then pulls very linear. This curve should be 16kW higher in 2022.
  • The blue line is battery power, which shows that peak combined power is highest at around 90kph.
1a41378dbc7a3e62147bce786fd50546f60e3d12.jpeg
Thank you! You are very informative, i love information like this. Just one last thing and sorry to sound redundant.... you said 2022 should have equal power figures. Does this refer to all 2022 VIN model 3P's being produced currently and shipping to customers? or if could get this update with all current 2022 VIN models? I will be getting my 2022 M3P in a week and would love to do some testing with my Draggy to see if anything has changed... I can report back to this thread... any recommendations to see if anything has changed? i don't mind spending money to get parts to verify other things as well, if needed. i.e OBD2 reader? Thanks.

Thank you! You are very informative, i love information like this. Just one last thing and sorry to sound redundant.... you said 2022 should have equal power figures. Does this refer to all 2022 VIN model 3P's being produced currently and shipping to customers? or if could get this update with all current 2022 VIN models? I will be getting my 2022 M3P in a week and would love to do some testing with my Draggy to see if anything has changed... I can report back to this thread... any recommendations to see if anything has changed? i don't mind spending money to get parts to verify other things as well, if needed. i.e OBD2 reader? Thanks.

Nothing has changed yet, these are all assumptions based on the release of the EU paperwork. I don't believe any of the EU configurations have changed yet either, so who knows when we'll get anything in the US.

Ok, thanks..my P3 is inbound from China but probably still 2021 as I will pick it up on 12/24.…oh well..
Easy to tell by the 10th digit of your VIN.
M = MY2021
N = MY2022

There are no N = 2022 models on their way to Europe yet.

The last cars for europe come with the old wire motors, old tail lights and missing front USB/inductive charging. I am getting my fourth M3P on the 23rd myself. Looking forward to the Made in China quality though.

Reactions: JanG007
Easy to tell by the 10th digit of your VIN.
M = MY2021
N = MY2022

There are no N = 2022 models on their way to Europe yet.

The last cars for europe come with the old wire motors, old tail lights and missing front USB/inductive charging. I am getting my fourth M3P on the 23rd myself. Looking forward to the Made in China quality though.
Hang on, aren’t we mixing up things?

The tail lights aren’t they just different because the car was made in China?

Also, most of the Y-models from China (colleague of mine got his 2 days ago) aren’t missing any USB outlets.
Does it make sense that Model 3 produced in china would miss them?

The tail lights aren’t they just different because the car was made in China?
Cars from China get old and new tail lights since Q3/2021. It's a lottery, but in the last week's it's been next to no new lights for the model 3. Probably saving them for the MY and MY2022 cars which will most likely always have the new lights.
Also, most of the Y-models from China (colleague of mine got his 2 days ago) aren’t missing any USB outlets.
Does it make sense that Model 3 produced in china w
There is a new parts priority on the more expensive cars. MY gets priority over M3 as it looks like.

• Informative
Reactions: JanG007