Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only thing I hope is that we will get the new UI with the non-amd cpu....that would be a huge bummer
Careful what you wish for. A new UI (V9) pretty much wrecked the MCU1 Model S cars’ UI performance. V8.1 that came before it had snappy performance , but V9 was designed for the MCU2 system and was sluggish on older cars.

Of course Tesla never attempted to optimize the code on older MCUs, but offered an upgrade to newer MCU2 for older cars. Paid for by the customer, of course.

Reactions: tm1v2
the rear is doublepaned and so is the top. always has been, legal requirement and would look dumb if the glass shatters and cuts up the passengers.
Do I have my terminology wrong? Some say laminated. Whatever means "thicker glass" is what I'm trying to say. Front got thicker glass on the side doors. Heard the same will come to the rear soon as well but only for the Y so far.

There’s no guarantee the updated MCU will land in the first Q of ‘22. Infact, you could be waiting several quarters.

Tesla don’t do model numbers or yearly releases. What’s happened here is they’ve filled papers for upcoming changes with zero indication of when they are likely to land.

Equally, it’s likely a retrofit will be offered.

People with existing orders are likley to get the current MCU until the stock is depleted and the manufacturing line is altered, and they’ll likely only do that once production of the new MCU is at full scale.

There’s no indication when those changes will land. It’s likely they will be drip fed in, like the new batteries on the SR+ and LR.
How likely do you think a retrofit will be offered for free? (I ordered my model 3 long range and it's coming in Jan 2022, it would suck to miss by a few months, but it also would suck to wait for a few quarters for nothing).

The glass is all made by Saint-Gobain Sekurit so it shouldn't directly matter whether it's a Chinese, German, or Texan car. They'll just phase in the new glass as production rates and stockpiles permit. I believe the laminated glass is not tempered although tempered+laminated glass is apparently the next stage of auto glass evolution.

Tesla has formally announced the full list of near-term updates, most notably the faster infotainment processor, far side airbag, and "lifetime" lithium 12V battery so it's probably a pretty safe bet that most/all of the updates will be appearing in January US deliveries.

Careful what you wish for. A new UI (V9) pretty much wrecked the MCU1 Model S cars’ UI performance. V8.1 that came before it had snappy performance , but V9 was designed for the MCU2 system and was sluggish on older cars.

Of course Tesla never attempted to optimize the code on older MCUs, but offered an upgrade to newer MCU2 for older cars. Paid for by the customer, of course.
It seems that the new UI runs just fine on the current hardware. (Holiday update) Woohoo!
I think the new processor would mostly impact games etc to be honest

Would Tesla release 2 months of 2022 cars with none of these new features?

IMO I dont think so. I think we see these new features sometime around Spring.
It's anybody's guess, but that's what I'm thinking too. I'd be very (pleasantly) surprised if these changes started showing up in January, but I think Feb-April is more likely. Second half of 2020 seems a little pessimistic to me, but again, anything is possible with Tesla.

Musta got a bad one; my M3P is the MOST rattle-free car I've ever had and I'm 69 and have owned many of the usual German suspects!
I stand completely corrected, My M3P delivered today has been extraordinary. My Model 3 LR from last year (2020) was horrendous with rattling. The doors to the dash rattled intensely but after listening today I almost shed a tear how well built they’ve made the new models