Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well a few days ago I officially put my M3P order on hold to wait for MCU-Z to make it's way to the USA. The new rear motor, headlights, laminate glass on rear doors would be nice as well, but the MCU update is something definitely don't want to miss out on - I'm even willing to cancel my current order to wait a few more months if it comes to that. Will the "N" models have the updated MCU?

Reactions: Sam1
Cars from China get old and new tail lights since Q3/2021. It's a lottery, but in the last week's it's been next to no new lights for the model 3. Probably saving them for the MY and MY2022 cars which will most likely always have the new lights.

There is a new parts priority on the more expensive cars. MY gets priority over M3 as it looks like.
Let’s hope my 74k model 3P trumps the lower costing MYs 🤨🤨

• Funny
Reactions: Sam1
Well a few days ago I officially put my M3P order on hold to wait for MCU-Z to make it's way to the USA. The new rear motor, headlights, laminate glass on rear doors would be nice as well, but the MCU update is something definitely don't want to miss out on - I'm even willing to cancel my current order to wait a few more months if it comes to that. Will the "N" models have the updated MCU?

I'm working with my SA to see if my M3P that's coming in the next week or two has any of the upgrades - if it doesn't I'll be postponing as well.

No, the front motor stays at the power limit of the LR with boost, as it has been all along and it doesnt have a hairpin stator either.
See this rough overview I have quickly created in Excel:
View attachment 743527

The LG Packs have a more shallow voltage curve, which results in more power at the lower SoC end. Their chemistry also allows for more power at colder cell temperature. I dont think the peak power will be higher overall, but there might be more power over the SoC / temperature scale than before.
The current M3P with the Panasonic 3L 82kWh starts to drop in peak power below 75-70% and also if the cells are below 15° (or in that ball park).

If you are based in Nevada (?) then you will not get this LG 5L 79kWh battery pack, but you might get a 2022 Performance with the same peak power limits (+16kW). The US updates are far less certain by the looks of it.
Sorry, I don't understand the chart. I thought boost (AB) was only available with the LR and not the P? What am I missing?

Sorry, I don't understand the chart. I thought boost (AB) was only available with the LR and not the P? What am I missing?
You aren't missing anything, since you are right. Acceleration Boost is not optional in the Performance models.

What acceleration boost does is de-restrict the Long Range front motor to the level of the Performance front motor.

The acceleration boost is basically included in the Performance package and with addition of an 800A rear motor (compared to 600A LR) the Performance stays faster than the LR...if the battery pack or wheel drag is not the limiting factor.

Sorry to change the subject, but something I noticed the other day is that the rear defroster lines have changed. On my new '22 Model 3, the lines run horizontal with only 2 vertical lines much like traditional automakers. It looks like on older models the pattern was more of an inverted U (See below). Not sure when the change happened, but just something I noticed.
1639491703394.png

I have a 11/2021 build 2022 M3P and it has the Atom-based MCU. But I got my order in before the price jump to the current $58990. I expect the M3P "base" price to jump again to $59990 soon, probably right around the time the new parts appear in the cars made in Fremont.

Does the windows on the rear doors have dual pain glass like the front?
Front door glass looks like an Oreo cookie (dual-pane) but the rear does not (single-pane.) So it looks like these "new 2022" changes don't apply to 2021/Q4 builds of 2022 models.

There probably won't be a hard cutoff for the changes, it will most likely be when they get hold of the new parts and/or run out of the old ones.

But with the rear hairpin-windings motor is supposed to get a new VIN digit. I have a "C" for the motor, M3P with the new motor should have an "L" I think, 5YJ3E1EC0NF000000 (old motor) vs 5YJ3E1EL0NF000000 (new motor.)

Front door glass looks like an Oreo cookie (dual-pane) but the rear does not (single-pane.) So it looks like these "new 2022" changes don't apply to 2021/Q4 builds of 2022 models.

There probably won't be a hard cutoff for the changes, it will most likely be when they get hold of the new parts and/or run out of the old ones.

But with the rear hairpin-windings motor is supposed to get a new VIN digit. I have a "C" for the motor, M3P with the new motor should have an "L" I think, 5YJ3E1EC0NF000000 (old motor) vs 5YJ3E1EL0NF000000 (new motor.)
Strange that you indeed have an ‘N’ in your VIN (2022), mine is still ‘M’ (MP3 China 2021) and it’s not even delivered. Did your order it in December or did you receive it in December? If ordered, December could be the cutoff month?

I won the "lottery". Got my E5CD delivered on the last day of September, a little disappointed finding that there's a newer, better, bigger and faster charging battery available. But I received a nice rebate and more importantly, I have the car in hand, now. Every day driving the Model 3 LR over my ok fine old diesel BMW is a good day.

And I got new lights on the back and inductive charging is included. Hairpin motor. Sandwich windows up front but not in the back. Normal good made in China quality. Moral of the story is probably to just jump in.

I've posted the MY2022 VIN decoder a couple of pages back, but I can tell you already, that there is no VIN digit for these kind of options. There is only N=MY2022 as an indicator of the MY change. Though in the states this change didnt bring the new tech...in China it did. Since we are getting our cars from China right now, there is a good chance, that the cars in February and March already have all this stuff. It might come on the LR/P first or it might be some sort of lottery, like the new tail lights right now.

Considering these changes haven't been confirmed for the US, and seemingly being used in the MY overseas before the M3, you may be waiting a lot longer than a few months. Might not be worth the wait, I wouldn't doubt if we in the US don't see these changes till later in 2022, though that is just an opinion.

Considering these changes haven't been confirmed for the US, and seemingly being used in the MY overseas before the M3, you may be waiting a lot longer than a few months. Might not be worth the wait, I wouldn't doubt if we in the US don't see these changes till later in 2022, though that is just an opinion.
That is certainly true. However in my situation, where I don’t need a new car right now, it’s certainly worth waiting at least a few months to see how things pan out. It only took 2-3 months after the first whisperings of the heated steering wheel for Model 3s to start being delivered with them. With an upgrade as big as the MCU, which is significant and likely won’t happen for another 5+ years, I’d even consider waiting 6+ months.

Reactions: spacehawk