Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@eivissa do you know the current values for the MIG Performance rear motor for the Model Y?
The MIG MYP has the Drive Unit Cat 3. The rear motor is the 3D6 Hairpin Motor, which is rated at 235kW in this configuration. Soon it will probably be the DU CAT 4 with the 4D1 rated at the same peak power.

Here is the power curve:

Here is the torque curve:

The MIG MYP has the Drive Unit Cat 3. The rear motor is the 3D6 Hairpin Motor, which is rated at 235kW in this configuration. Soon it will probably be the DU CAT 4 with the 4D1 rated at the same peak power.

Here is the power curve:

Here is the torque curve:
I mean the net power and the 30 min power rating :) Do you have values for the 3D6 rear motor?

Btw: do you expect any changes in real life?

still not understanding what that 30 min means. it means you can just sustain high power for extra 30 min?
This is the average power of the motor when put on a bench and provided with an "unlimited" power source. Some people try to extrapolate battery capacities from this value, but it is pointless. No point looking and comparing 30 minute powers in general.

60 minute power is a battery pack value / limit by the way!

Your available power in a Tesla is primarily limited by the battery power, which changes with SoC and cell temperature.

The second limiting factor in a Model 3 and Y AWD is the front motor 3D3. This induction motor is reducing power quite significantly with speed.

Only the third limit is the rear motor, which is always a permanent magnet in the 3/Y. So overall any change on the the rear achsle is not that big of a deal.

You should listen up when a new long range battery pack or new front motor is spotted as this will make the main difference at speeds past 60-70mph.

Last edited:
@eivissa Any news on 2023 updates for 3/Y? Will we be seeing CATL LMFP cells for SR in Q1 2023?
Nothing in the papers yet. There some stuff that you can read between the lines though, but keep in mind, that this is just me guessing:
  • The CATL LFP pack was introduced in Q4/2020 (55kWh) and updated in Q4/2021 (62kWh). Q4/2022 did not get an update, but we know that the M3P/LMFP is just around the corner, so it is a hot contender for Q1/2023. No battery pack was updated twice so far, so it will be interesting what letter they come up with this time... 6C -> 6L -> 6P?
  • The first BYD Blade LFP structural pack was introduced for the Berlin Model Y with identifier 7C. This pack is expected to be smaller than the CATL packs with just 58'ish kWh (CATL 62kWh). The 7C just by its capacity will be a "standard range pack" and theoretically it takes another year to see a 7L battery pack with increased size, but my guess is that a 7L will be introduced much sooner with 70-80kWh. This pack then will be good enough to be classified as a Long Range battery pack. We know that BYD can build these large LFP packs from their own lineup of cars.
  • Once the 4680 production in Europe is up and running we will probably see the release of identifier 8C (Tesla 4680 Long Range) with 90'ish kWh. I think they will skip the standard range 4680 pack in Europe and try to build large battery packs to compete with the Chinese competition that is heading straight for 100kWh in the Model 3/Y category.
Just my 2ct ;-)

Thanks for the reply, always good to hear your 2ct ;)

Why do you think they designed the BYD blade pack to have less energy than the CATL (58 vs 62 kWh) rather than equal? As you mention there is space for more cells.

Yeah I also agree that SR 4680 in Europe doesn't make much sense until they have a surplus of 4680 cells and they have better cost than LFP cells, which won't be anytime soon. In the US it makes sense because of the IRA incentives.

Why do you think they designed the BYD blade pack to have less energy than the CATL (58 vs 62 kWh) rather than equal?
Its all guessing...
  • BYD most likely had a performance specification from Tesla that needed to be met and 58kWh was sufficient. I doubt this was a mishap, were Tesla meant 58kWh plus Energy Buffer and BYD calculated with total capacity ;-)
  • Structural reasons on how you could space out the modules in the structural pack, which were met at 58kWh and the next increment would have been too much capacity.
  • BYD pitching this setup as a ready to go structural pack as it is and Tesla taking the offer "no questions asked". Having a reliable provider of battery cells (in large capacities) is crucial in these times.

Reactions: RVAC
I just received my MYLR yesterday (December 2022 Austin build and VIN mistakenly says it's a P) and I tried to see if I had a 980 or 990 motor, but my pictures don't look like other Model Ys. I'm not sure if Tesla started to cover the motor with black plastic or if this is a completely new motor. If you look at the attached photo, there is a plate in the upper right that appears yo say 4D1 on it. Do you know what that means? What is a 4D1 rated motor?

Attachments

• Tesla Motor Cover.JPG
    Tesla Motor Cover.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 427
Reactions: eivissa and Flummox
That is very interesting indeed. Your VIN is not that wrong then. You have received the latest generation performance motor!

The main change is that the stator is not a wire winding anymore, but hairpin. The 30 minute power is rated higher on these motors, but at least on paper they are supposed to be equal in peak power.

This is the first sighting of a hairpin motor out of US production and first sighting of a latest generation Drive Unit Cat 4 motor.

It will probably be limited to Long Range battery power limits, but are you able to connect Scan My Tesla to your car?

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
I just received my MYLR yesterday (December 2022 Austin build and VIN mistakenly says it's a P) and I tried to see if I had a 980 or 990 motor, but my pictures don't look like other Model Ys. I'm not sure if Tesla started to cover the motor with black plastic or if this is a completely new motor. If you look at the attached photo, there is a plate in the upper right that appears yo say 4D1 on it. Do you know what that means? What is a 4D1 rated motor?
Also, could provide a higher resolution picture of the placard in the motor? Then we can try to decode the content.

i thought ATX build was east of ATX only?

Also, could provide a higher resolution picture of the placard in the motor? Then we can try to decode the content.
Unfortunately I don't have the "Scan My Tesla" app and adapter cables, what additional details would that provide? I was able to get a more detailed photo of the placard and it appears to say *GTX22343 000HYB* 4D1 (see attached).

Not sure if this matters, but the features on the car sticker say :

Three phase, four pole, induction motor (front)
Three phase, six pole, internal permanent magnet motor (Rear)

In regards to vickh's question, I was surprised to get an Austin build since I do live in Southern California (which typically received from Fremont).

Attachments

• Tesla Motor Model #.jpg
    Tesla Motor Model #.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 106
Reactions: Flummox
GTX22343 000HYB
Motor Production Plant: Giga Texas
Production Date: 9th of December 2022
Unique Motor identifier: 000HYB

The new 4D1 and 4D5 are permanent magnet motors as all previous rear motors in the Model Y.

It's weird that they didn't use the 4D5 Motor in your car, as that would have been the correct Long range base motor of the latest generation.

What's your VIN letter that identifies it as a performance motor in the US?